Wiki Posts
Search

Worth a complaint?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, EK Blue, Best Western Diamond Select, Hilton Gold
Worth a complaint?

Today I flew J on BA056 JNB to LHR and a few issues with my seat/IFE, is it worth a complaint or should I just leave it?

Firstly, the footrest would only work at the 90 degree position, not the 'Z-position' listed in the seat guide. Even the CC said 'I don't think it goes any other way' and couldn't even see it in the guide! Which filled me with confidence!

Secondly, the seat controls were only partly functioning. I COULD get it to go fully flat and back to the seated position for landing. But there was certainly an issue meaning I couldn't get in the exact position for comfort! This was confirmed to also be an issue on the outbound flight by CC, who then forcefully told me 'they can do it manually if the controls don't work so it's not an issue!'

Finally the IFE screen initially worked fine, when it was extended it would stay where I put it. However, after maybe 6 hours it would not stay in place. I was advised by CC that they can give me a piece of paper to jam it in place! But I had already done this using my menu, but I do feel for the person who has if on the next flight!

Is it worth a complaint as if did detract from some elements of the experience, but I must say it didn't spoil the flight!
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I guess the question is what you are hoping to get for the complaint. A typical response would be to throw you 5000-10000 Avios for your inconvenience.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:43 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
I wouldn't, personally, as you say that it didn't really spoil your flight. The pit of neverending disappointment that is BA customer services isn't worth going into for this, I think.

Most importantly, the crew were aware so it should have been logged so that it can be fixed.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Were there any spare seats in your cabin?
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, EK Blue, Best Western Diamond Select, Hilton Gold
There was one middle seat (UD A380) but this wasn't offered, plus I would have been unhappy to move as I paid £198 for me and my wife to sit together on the way back from honeymoon. Which as has been discussed at length, is a joke for J flights when you don't have status.

However, if I had experienced one of the individual issues I would have accepted it as 'wear and tear' but as the CC knew about the seat issue from the outbound, I would have throught this could have been looked at during the layover or highlighted to us and offered alternative seats in J. As I believe the lower deck was fairly empty it is likely that there were other pairs together (this was according to another CC member).
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Originally Posted by MikeBouch
Finally the IFE screen initially worked fine, when it was extended it would stay where I put it. However, after maybe 6 hours it would not stay in place. I was advised by CC that they can give me a piece of paper to jam it in place! But I had already done this using my menu, but I do feel for the person who has if on the next flight!
That seems to be par for the course. I've often flown CW with a flapping-about screen.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by BAAZ
That seems to be par for the course. I've often flown CW with a flapping-about screen.
I've had some too. A solution I've seen before is to request a cork from a wine bottle and wedge that in - stays in place much better than trying to use a menu or safety card.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MikeBouch
There was one middle seat (UD A380) but this wasn't offered, plus I would have been unhappy to move as I paid £198 for me and my wife to sit together on the way back from honeymoon. Which as has been discussed at length, is a joke for J flights when you don't have status.

However, if I had experienced one of the individual issues I would have accepted it as 'wear and tear' but as the CC knew about the seat issue from the outbound, I would have throught this could have been looked at during the layover or highlighted to us and offered alternative seats in J. As I believe the lower deck was fairly empty it is likely that there were other pairs together (this was according to another CC member).
As there were other seats available I don’t think that you will get any compensation but it’s worth complaining.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Complain if you want to complain

Don't complain if you don't want to complain or are expecting a big grovelling apology and a fist full of cash or avios, as you will be disappointed.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you
As there were other seats available I don’t think that you will get any compensation but it’s worth complaining.
Would you then be happy to hand out compensation for the reserved seats no longer being suitable
Old Nov 21, 2017, 12:29 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Getting the footstool into the "Z" position on the A380 can be a bit of a challenge when your muscle memory is tuned to 777 and 747 aircraft. With the A380s, you want a push and slide action whereas on other aircraft it requires a pull/slide action. This is of course an entirely separate issue to the other faults experienced
Old Nov 21, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Has anyone on here complained about a seat not functioning properly and getting a refund on the paid seat selection?
Old Nov 21, 2017, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Prospero
Getting the footstool into the "Z" position on the A380 can be a bit of a challenge when your muscle memory is tuned to 777 and 747 aircraft. With the A380s, you want a push and slide action whereas on other aircraft it requires a pull/slide action. This is of course an entirely separate issue to the other faults experienced
It’s the same on the B787.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 710 77345
Would you then be happy to hand out compensation for the reserved seats no longer being suitable
It’s not for me to be refunding the seat reservation charge, the customer should do this themselves but I would supply them with a link.
I would offer them service recovery if I was able to give them a full working seat or IFE.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you
It’s not for me to be refunding the seat reservation charge, the customer should do this themselves but I would supply them with a link.
They will then get an email saying they could have sat in the seat next to their partner, they did not have to move for IFE!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.