Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Hand baggage-only fares have turned people into monsters

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hand baggage-only fares have turned people into monsters

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Originally Posted by Dambus
Why not just reverse the pricing model and make hand baggage fares more expensive that checked baggage fares? (Or offer a discount for checking in a bag)?

I suspect many of those who bully their way into the overheads would also bite your arm off for a fiver (and might spend it on BoB!)
Yes!
Base fare excludes luggage
1 small item of hand luggage free (i.e. that fits under seat in front, and must be put under seat in front)
Checked baggage £x per bag (up to 23/32kg etc)
1 piece of hand luggage in overhead locker £2x
Job done :-)
Old Nov 28, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Silver
We've all developed a sense of entitlement where carry-on baggage is concerned. Does anyone else remember the aftermath of the shoe bomber incident, where no cabin baggage at all was allowed except for essential mediation, wallets and travel documents? We all survived it. For sure there are times when some of us genuinely 'need' the time saving that HBO travel affords us, but the reality is that waiting for checked baggage is a minor irritant that has no bearing on most of our lives in most circumstances. As an example, I flew LHR-AMS this past Saturday on a totally full flight. As a Silver I was prepared to resist any attempts to prise my bag away, but was disheartened to see a huge pile of trolley bags with tickets on them behind where the gate agents were standing. Luckily, I waltzed up the Priority lane past a huge line of leisure pax, and heard the magic beep indicating an opup to J when going through the gate. No request for my bag, and plenty of luggage space in the bins at the front of the bus. Having had my bag dipped before at LCY I'm always wary of checking items at the gate, but luckily it's yet to impact me. The journey home, when I was in Y, was similarly busy but no attempt to part pax from their luggage. Although I was the second to board and therefore had first dibs on the bins above my seat right behind the curtain.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 11:05 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The airline and airport experiences for passengers have become so lousy in various ways that it had to inevitably result in an increase in passenger anxiety and aggression. Things the government does in the name of security, that the airlines do in the name of cost cutting and revenue enhancement, and that airports do in the name of making more money; that leads to more of this kind of mess than would have otherwise been the case.

Originally Posted by Kevlondon
Does anyone else remember the aftermath of the shoe bomber incident, where no cabin baggage at all was allowed except for essential mediation, wallets and travel documents?
I remember flying with my regular cabin baggage on AA and BA from Europe to the US in the days and weeks right after the failed shoe-bomber incident -- even on the AA CDG-MIA flight.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:16 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The airline and airport experiences for passengers have become so lousy in various ways that it had to inevitably result in an increase in passenger anxiety and aggression. Things the government does in the name of security, that the airlines do in the name of cost cutting and revenue enhancement, and that airports do in the name of making more money; that leads to more of this kind of mess than would have otherwise been the case.

I remember flying with my regular cabin baggage on AA and BA from Europe to the US in the days and weeks right after the failed shoe-bomber incident -- even on the AA CDG-MIA flight.
Yes, it was the liquid bomb plot that caused the hand baggage ban.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 2:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
The idiot like me who put the coat into checked baggage on a short haul when connecting onto long haul can just freeze - it's my own choice to check in my coat! (Which actually is a rather bad idea in case of a misconnect anyway, but I still do it from time to time as long as the conditions aren't extreme).
I do this too, to reduce clutter and buggerising around on the aircraft with the coat hook.

Only had missing luggage in warm places. One day, it will bite.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 2:32 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
This multiplied about a million times. The whole experience from start to finish is so rotten that it's no wonder it brings out the worst in people.

Also, if we want to look at where the sense of entitlement is being created, the first place we need to start looking is at frequent flyer programmes themselves.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Silver

I'm actually amazed that the ban on liquids over 100ml has lasted as long as it has. These 'enhanced security measures' usually get quietly rescinded a few weeks after the event that caused them to be introduced.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Surely worth putting up with a few minor extra hassles considering how affordable flying is nowadays.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Surely worth putting up with a few minor extra hassles considering how affordable flying is nowadays.
Or we could solve the overcrowding by making flying much less affordable. 😀
Old Nov 29, 2017, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Kevlondon
I'm actually amazed that the ban on liquids over 100ml has lasted as long as it has. These 'enhanced security measures' usually get quietly rescinded a few weeks after the event that caused them to be introduced.
It's actually a perfect device for keeping travellers confused and suggestable - and getting them into the shops. Adding to the extra hand baggage no doubt.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 12:23 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I like the do-other-affordable-things-and-not-put-up-with-a-few-minor-extra-hassles option better. There's a whole world out there that's accessible in other ways too.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 12:29 pm

I'm taking a flight on Saturday where I won't have any baggage at all, cabin or checked. The anticipated liberation is quite exciting!
TheOldMan and Rufin like this.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 1:12 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Johnnieboy
I'm taking a flight on Saturday where I won't have any baggage at all, cabin or checked. The anticipated liberation is quite exciting!
I did this last year, did a day return LHR-NCL to visit my parents and all I took with me was wallet, phone, spectacles and paperback book. Amazingly liberating.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: BAEC
I have been on four flights with 3 different airlines in the last 7 days, none of them BA. None of the hand baggage issues in this thread were observed, nor the boarding scrum.

One of the flights was with Norwegian from Madrid to Gatwick, everyone lined up politely and gate staff policed the luggage putting oversized bags in the hold. One chap initially refused to allow his large case to be taken from him and was told, "then you won't be getting on this flight" he soon changed his mind.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 5:06 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG & Accor Plat...
Originally Posted by Johnnieboy
I used to do that regularly when I was living in both Germany and London. It took quite a few trips to get over the panicky sensation that I had "lost" my bag when I walked out of customs into the arrivals hall carrying nothing but a wallet, a passport, and a set of keys ! Once you're over that, it feels AWESOME !

Having said that, posters telling people how they should feel , or how they choose to spend their time, is not the answer to the question. In my case, not wishing to be waiting at carousels 30-50 x a year, especially when my company is often paying top whack for short-notice business travel, is not going to predispose me to an argument that because you don't see a short wait as a an inconvenience, I shouldn't either, no matter how often or how loudly you make that point. I could have been the guy they modelled George Clooney's character on in "Up In The Air". So, I thank you for making space for my perfectly conforming hand luggage; in return, I wont be "that guy" holding you up at security screening because i have to go through the scanner 3 times because I have a phone in my pocket and a water bottle in my carry-on and a belt buckle the size of Texas....^
LTN Phobia likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.