Another Mediocre CE Flight

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2017, 4:08 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Another Mediocre CE Flight

Hey folks,

Another not so nice CE experience this morning.

BHD-LHR (departure 0930), flight time only 50 minutes due to strong tail winds. 6 rows of CE. 2 cabin crew working in CE. Cabin crew started slowly with drinks service, individually served from the galley. Didn’t get a meal until past Manchester (row 1!) when we had already started our descent. It was a “brunch” flight but cabin crew asked whether I wanted breakfast. I was surprised and confused and asked what was on offer and the answer was “we have ten minutes to landing, sir” . No bread offered either because there was no time. Shambles.

Overheard a conversation as well and apparently there was an issue with the payment machine in ET for BoB.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 4:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Why in God's name they thought they should do a drinks service first is beyond me (especially on a flight of such a short length). Hope you managed to wolf down whatever you got in time and weren't left with too much indigestion!
florens and lostinlondon like this.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 4:16 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by stu1985
Why in God's name they thought they should do a drinks service first is beyond me (especially on a flight of such a short length). Hope you managed to wolf down whatever you got in time and weren't left with too much indigestion!
I don't understand it either. I appreciate that the crews are very busy on such flights but with some preparation this could have been avoided. By the way: They started heating the ovens when above the Isle of Man, whereas on other flights they do it even before takeoff!
Flame3601 likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 4:20 am

Poor show

Do complain, BA need to know about this.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 4:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Breakfast is sometimes available on so called brunch domestic flights if the LHR-BHD sector before it was before 09:30 hrs. They often have a few trays left and are happy to give people the third choice. But in reality I think you were being offered the domestic "extended breakfast" of the past namely this (which isn't my idea of breakfast but that is how some crew describe it):

Personally I'm not sure I would have noticed Manchester as being late into the cruise from BHD, they sometimes have to back around the Irish Sea a bit before they get settled, and at that time of the day the crew will be wanting the seat belt signs off so they can serve tea and coffee.

Still, they shouldn't have greeted any indecision with "ten minutes to landing", not least since over Cheshire (?) it wouldn't be true. Plus it's somewhat lacking in customer service skills.

Drinks rounds are good to have on Domestics provided there is the time and the crew really know what they are doing, but I agree on morning flights it's probably best to do a single tray and hot drink offering.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 4:31 am

Why people persist with the very poor short band CE product is beyond me. The exit row in ET are the best seats on the aircraft (A320 family), and as a Gold 9 times out of 10 you get the middle seat blocked (thanks TS!)
Doccykins, Flame3601 and Pack like this.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 4:33 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Surely a system of one crew member does drinks then the other one does food would work better ? Crew really need to come on with their game face on for theses flights. BA/Comair crew on the JNB-DUR sector are like ninja's , even they have a more elaborate club service offering to serve.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 4:34 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Breakfast is sometimes available on so called brunch domestic flights if the LHR-BHD sector before it was before 09:30 hrs.
Ah, ok. But it wasn't the case on this particular flight. I think the cabin crew used the term breakfast as in 'meal'.

They often have a few trays left and are happy to give people the third choice. But in reality I think you were being offered the domestic "extended breakfast" of the past namely this:
This was my meal:

Personally I'm not sure I would have noticed Manchester as being late into the cruise from BHD, they sometimes have to back around the Irish Sea a bit before they get settled, and at that time of the day the crew will be wanting the seat belt signs off so they can serve tea and coffee.

Still, they shouldn't have greeted any indecision with "ten minutes to landing", not least since over Cheshire (?) it wouldn't be true. Plus it's somewhat lacking in customer service skills.
Agreed. I think we had left the cruising altitude for about 2-3 minutes when I was served, so probably at about FL300.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 4:38 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by rossmacd
Why people persist with the very poor short band CE product is beyond me. The exit row in ET are the best seats on the aircraft (A320 family), and as a Gold 9 times out of 10 you get the middle seat blocked (thanks TS!)
After so many mediocre flights, I tend to agree with you now, and nearly all of my upcoming flights are actually in ET. Still, it doesn't really matter, as I or anyone else could have been on this flight connecting to longhaul.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 4:40 am

Programs: Some
I’m not sure TS blocks exit row seats (could be wrong?), but otherwise agreed!
Old Nov 12, 2017, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
It absolutely certainly does
firstlight likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 4:54 am

Programs: BA Exec
Let me start by saying that I don't know what was going on behind the scenes...

On a short, busy sector such as the one described above I would be out in the cabin pretty quickly after wheels-up and delivering the service from a trolley - combining drinks with the brunch service. I certainly wouldn't be delivering the service by hand with 6 rows of CE...a recipe for potentially running out of time and having to rush to finish on such a short sector.

What you have described is not in line with the Service Standards for this sector. The response you received from the crew is also unacceptable .

Complain. The SCCM will get an email and they will then have to explain their actions (there could be a good reason, who knows - perhaps the equipment/trolley was defective). If not, they will be reminded of what they should have done...
Old Nov 12, 2017, 5:03 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by florens
This was my meal:
What I find strange is that less than 48 hours separates those two meals, albeit mine was NCL, and yet the content is somewhat different. Mine was the shorter flight too.
florens likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 5:05 am

I've never been gold (and, irritatingly but not unexpectedly, have just been demoted to bronze!) but one of the nice things about being silver and booking an emergency exit seat on my BSL-LHR flights is that I often get a goldie sitting in the same section, so I get to leech off their empty middle seat. Thanks goldies!
Old Nov 12, 2017, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Yes it does, but if you are a Goldie and facing only middle seats since everything else has gone, which row are you going to go for? And if you have been irrop'd at the airport, regardless of status, or you have simply sweet talked the ground staff, then the middle seat in exit rows is prone to being captured. Still, one would go for the exit rows if long legged, if you are nearer average height and actually prefer the empty seat next to you, you best go down the back a bit. A321s are different, since they have 2 sets of ET exit rows, and the back one isn't so popular, so you're almost always going to get an empty middle seat there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.