Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another Mediocre CE Flight

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: BA Gold AVIS Presidents Club
Never had an issue with service but once the rather Ok hot meals disappeared from CE then those down the back got my company; namely in 12 A . More room than most of CE and unless it was a full flight, the seat next to me has been vacant. Shall find out if this still holds true in about 1 hr as currently in T3 F lounge which is rather busy.

OF
Old Nov 12, 2017, 11:07 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by OldFruity
Never had an issue with service but once the rather Ok hot meals disappeared from CE then those down the back got my company; namely in 12 A . More room than most of CE and unless it was a full flight, the seat next to me has been vacant. Shall find out if this still holds true in about 1 hr as currently in T3 F lounge which is rather busy.

OF
Not in the CX lounge?

Major error here I'm hoping in your post.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Originally Posted by florens
Hey folks,

Another not so nice CE experience this morning.

BHD-LHR (departure 0930), flight time only 50 minutes due to strong tail winds. 6 rows of CE. 2 cabin crew working in CE. Cabin crew started slowly with drinks service, individually served from the galley. Didn’t get a meal until past Manchester (row 1!) when we had already started our descent. It was a “brunch” flight but cabin crew asked whether I wanted breakfast. I was surprised and confused and asked what was on offer and the answer was “we have ten minutes to landing, sir” . No bread offered either because there was no time. Shambles.

Overheard a conversation as well and apparently there was an issue with the payment machine in ET for BoB.

Was on this very flight in row 2. Can confirm this was the experience. My own theory is that crew forgot to turn the ovens on until well underway but who knows.
florens likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 11:12 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by djmp
Was on this very flight in row 2. Can confirm this was the experience. My own theory is that crew forgot to turn the ovens on until well underway but who knows.
Small world!
smokie36 likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 12:08 pm

Small world!
And if anyone continued on to ZRH at 13:00 it was quite a wild ride due to a long hold in turbulence (with no visibility), and then a rollercoaster of a descent. Take a look at the altitude chart below. A lot of sick bags used on that one (including CE, so maybe the small meal was a blessing). I hope they gave the cabin good clean before the return.

flightaware.com/live/flight/BAW716/history/20171112/1300Z/EGLL/LSZH
florens likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 12:17 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

And if anyone continued on to ZRH at 13:00 it was quite a wild ride due to a long hold in turbulence (with no visibility), and then a rollercoaster of a descent. Take a look at the altitude chart below. A lot of sick bags used on that one (including CE, so maybe the small meal was a blessing). I hope they gave the cabin good clean before the return.

flightaware.com/live/flight/BAW716/history/20171112/1300Z/EGLL/LSZH
Me

Old Nov 12, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Fitch
Except when it doesn't...

QR checked me in for a BA flight about 36 hours ahead of departure, so I'm pretty sure my Seq was a low value.

There were 3 of us crammed into row 11 (exit). In front of us, 10E was unoccupied...
you don't understand TS.

At t-72 the seat next to you would have been blocked provided another elite had not picked it prior to t-72 or someone had purchased it.

when you check in has no effect on the seat blocking in TS
as more people check in some blocked seats need to be freed up. I imagine the exit row is regard a "good" seat and frees up quite quickly when middles are required.

i can assure you that TS does block exits, but on you probably find they are among tbe first middles to be made available as more people check in

i would bet row 10 had an elite that was blocking the middle on tbat row too
rossmacd likes this.

Last edited by scottishpoet; Nov 13, 2017 at 12:33 am
Old Nov 12, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by allturnleft
Do others have more positive experiences ?
LHR- GLA: Out Friday afternoon, returning Saturday morning. A321 with 9 rows up to GLA and 12 rows back. Full service both sectors with 3 drinks runs offered up to GLA and 2 on the return.

Only disappointment was that on the return, the chicken panini or meat / cheese plate had turned into cheese plate or bust by the time I was served in row 5. More than 50% of the cabin did not get a choice, let alone their first. CSM apologetic but resigned to it happening "more often than not". Worse things have happened.

Overall great value and great service from a proactive crew.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 1:17 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
LHR- GLA: Out Friday afternoon, returning Saturday morning. A321 with 9 rows up to GLA and 12 rows back. Full service both sectors with 3 drinks runs offered up to GLA and 2 on the return.
Sounds like great flights and crews!
Old Nov 12, 2017, 1:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Sounds like great flights and crews!
3 in CE helped. Two were straight out with the meals with the third following with the drinks. All trolley service and still had time to talk.

I think CE on domestics is a wonderful thing all things considered, and especially compared to a single class domestic.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 4:40 pm

Wow. Really small world!
florens likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by Dan72
Really? On CX they have cut back on short sectors. In Y to MNL (2 hours) it's a bagged snack with a bottle of water. Other drinks on request. Perhaps KA need to because of the competition to China.

In my experience most airlines are cutting back.
They have now reintroduced hot meals in Y on some of their very short services where they switched to snacks, because passengers were so unhappy.
In the end I believe BA will do the same. They can reap the financial benefits of their LCC thinking for a few years, but at some point in the future passengers will demand decent service once more and if they do not deliver it some other airline will.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:53 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, EY Plat, etc
Having seen another crew battling both ovens not getting to temperature at close hand (via the al fresco dining experience that is Row 1 on a G-GAT* aircraft) I got the hot breakfast served 15 mins into descent this morning and honestly the crew looked out of options other than drinks/bread whilst we waited. Really felt for them (but not enough to risk eating the bacon and sausage just to be on the safe side!)

Last edited by Robespierre; Nov 13, 2017 at 8:02 am
Old Nov 13, 2017, 8:13 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Even if the ovens were not working, it doesn't really matter, as my plate was cold anyway, and they could have started the service offering only the cold plate instead of cold plate or panino.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 10:11 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Why people persist with the very poor short band CE product is beyond me. The exit row in ET are the best seats on the aircraft (A320 family), and as a Gold 9 times out of 10 you get the middle seat blocked (thanks TS!)
I do not pretend to speak for anyone but myself. I do not persist, I actively seek because I love having the space next to me free. I couldn't care less about the leg room as I am not built like a hippopotamus despite my husband's urging to the contrary. I enjoy the service, am rarely disappointed by the meal as the portions are perfectly adequate, and I love the Champagne.

The crew, I think, got the service order wrong. The meal should be delivered and the bar served afterwards. I and many others here have watched this happen on MAN - LHR which is a hop and a skip as there is no time for the jump.

These may mean nothing to you, but they do to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.