Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another Mediocre CE Flight

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2017, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by adrianlondon
I've never been gold (and, irritatingly but not unexpectedly, have just been demoted to bronze!) but one of the nice things about being silver and booking an emergency exit seat on my BSL-LHR flights is that I often get a goldie sitting in the same section, so I get to leech off their empty middle seat. Thanks goldies!

For the ex-CH flights, it is BSL with the highest likelihood of TS working, with GVA being the least likely. That of course puts ZRH in the middle
Old Nov 12, 2017, 6:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
I had CE in Manchester, we had an extended ground delay (thought then would have been a good idea to take drinks/food orders) . Club 5 rows but only 8people there including family of mother and 2kids I’d say in the 6-10 yo category. Kids didn’t know what they wanted to eat or drink, crew and mother faffed, crew said they would come back. Was served chicken salad and cold drinks at 10 mins to landing and crew wanted to take away tray literally as I was eating desert.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 6:51 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rossmacd
It absolutely certainly does
Except when it doesn't...

QR checked me in for a BA flight about 36 hours ahead of departure, so I'm pretty sure my Seq was a low value.

There were 3 of us crammed into row 11 (exit). In front of us, 10E was unoccupied...
Old Nov 12, 2017, 7:01 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
While I get the service issues mentioned, particularly the response from the FA about what was on offer......I feel for FA's that have to service short flights like this.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 7:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Cathay Dragon manages a full hot meal service with drinks in ALL classes on :50 sectors to XMN or KHH. No excuse BA not to serve J cabin. Just lazy apathetic crew.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
And LH manages a cold tray service with warm bread rolls and two rounds of drinks in C on FRA-LUX (usually between 17 and 25 minutes from take-off to landing. But that means that the trays are handed out about 10 seconds after the chime.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Club Domestic

I thought BA introducing a CE on domestic flights was a great move last year
I have yet to try it
Comments on here regarding the quality of catering and service seem to imply the whole thing is a little underwhelming
Do others have more positive experiences ?
Old Nov 12, 2017, 8:19 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by allturnleft
Well I'm happy with it, as you may possibly expect. It gives me a much better chance of getting row 1 now, the fares can be quite reasonable (sub £100 in many cases, single sector), easy Same Day Change, the TPs get me the GUFs nice and early in my membership year, higher levels of personal attention than on the old system (4 cups of tea is not impossible), and less difficulties getting overhead luggage space. The catering isn't amazing but for 45 minutes from NCL to LHR one has to be realistic, but usually the hot breakfast works nicely. Though it doesn't affect me, I guess others will like the lounge access (so available via Avios bookings for the first time), Fast Track and the extra baggage allowance. Plus the occasional Jag to T3.
Tobias-UK and allturnleft like this.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
We have some fairly regular experience of short CE sectors ... I think our speed record for JER-LGW is <40 minutes. Only once have we seen a serious CE service failure. There is no doubt that the CC, and especially the SCCM, need to have their plan well and truly briefed before departure, and then move with the speed of a well lubricated otter to get things done. Going back to the Galley constantly is a recipe for disaster, as our recent MLA TR describes.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Flame3601
Surely a system of one crew member does drinks then the other one does food would work better ? Crew really need to come on with their game face on for theses flights. BA/Comair crew on the JNB-DUR sector are like ninja's , even they have a more elaborate club service offering to serve.
This is exactly what they did on a recently LHR-LBA with 4 rows of Club and a flight time of 00:41. Service was great and there was even time for a few drink top ups.
Flame3601 likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 9:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I suppose the only thing that can excuse a late service would be the threat of turbulence. As you don't mention it we have to assume they cocked something up which on a short flight is always going to cause trouble.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 9:25 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I suppose the only thing that can excuse a late service would be the threat of turbulence. As you don't mention it we have to assume they cocked something up which on a short flight is always going to cause trouble.
There was no turbulence until the end of the flight when approaching LHR. The seat belt sign wasn't on either while cruising.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by deadinabsentia
Cathay Dragon manages a full hot meal service with drinks in ALL classes
Really? On CX they have cut back on short sectors. In Y to MNL (2 hours) it's a bagged snack with a bottle of water. Other drinks on request. Perhaps KA need to because of the competition to China.

In my experience most airlines are cutting back.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 10:03 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by allturnleft
I thought BA introducing a CE on domestic flights was a great move last year
I have yet to try it
Comments on here regarding the quality of catering and service seem to imply the whole thing is a little underwhelming
I really like the domestic Club Europe, it gets a big thumbs up for me. My most regular route is MAN and that flight can be under 30 minutes! On every flight I’ve taken service was completed, I find the catering just right (except afternoon tea).
Old Nov 12, 2017, 10:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by florens
There was no turbulence until the end of the flight when approaching LHR. The seat belt sign wasn't on either while cruising.
Guess we'll never know what caused it.
florens likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.