Search

Seriously - Is this a premium offering?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Not even a toast rack?
Frequent flyer 101 likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 11:11 am

To be fair, if you ate properly in the AMS lounge, there would be no way you could subsequently jog to gate D5673 when they call boarding.
GadgetGal, ppp909 and nancypants like this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
The lounge has always been pretty poor in terms of food, but if anything the evening offering has improved over the last few years, with the addition of a salad and some cheese and ham slices. I could swear there was a time when the only food apart from crisps and biscuits was a pepperoni snack and mini packages of cheese.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 1:09 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Southlondonbonviveur
The lounge has always been pretty poor in terms of food, but if anything the evening offering has improved over the last few years, with the addition of a salad and some cheese and ham slices. I could swear there was a time when the only food apart from crisps and biscuits was a pepperoni snack and mini packages of cheese.
Indeed it has improved slightly compared to the previous lounge. And the drinks, seating, view, décor, business facilities do lift it somewhat. The key point here is the KLM lounge is pretty dreadful so there isn't the competition to pull standards up, as there is in places like BRU or GVA. There just isn't a world class lounge for any airline in AMS, unfortunately.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Regional domestic lounges for Air NZ have better breakfast and they have no competition, for flights almost all undertaken by turboprops with one class of service.
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by icegirl

What made you choose flying BA over KLM?
KLM's 3-4-3 777s earn them a LH veto from me in economy. J, There are better products out there.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Dubh
To be fair, if you ate properly in the AMS lounge, there would be no way you could subsequently jog to gate D5673 when they call boarding.
That was my thought too. Then you have half an hour on the plane before they close the door and a 45 minute taxi to the runway by which point you're almost in Rotterdam, followed by half an hour or so in the sky.

I hate that airport.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
I am not sure why are people are so shocked. Good EU airline lounges are an exception actually. BA lounges at LHR are great. All the rest are meh. Used AF, KL, AY, SK, IB, AZ, SN lounges and the food was never great. I sometimes don't even bother anymore.
lostinlondon likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 3:15 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by binman
... The Aspire lounge next door was really superb when I flew QR ex AMS and that's where I would go in future.
I am obviously missing something here. What makes the Aspire Lounge 'really superb'? I've used both lounges quite regularly and I can't see very much difference between the two save that the Aspire is often very busy and tables slowly cleared.
Nuster likes this.

Last edited by Tobias-UK; Oct 30, 2017 at 3:21 pm
Old Oct 30, 2017, 3:27 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Speaking of dreadful lounges, does anyone here remember the AF one that BA used to use at CDG where there genuinely was no food whatsoever apart from sugar cubes in packets?

Then, after that one, there was the dreaded CX one over the set of staircases where there was a tiny amount of something dried up in a tiny plastic showcase or two, or the only other option being pot noodles? (What a contrast now with their current lounge)?
friedberger likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 5:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ, BA CCR GGL
I went in there last week and it was such a shambles I turned and left to the very nice bar opposite the lift on the mezzanine level.It often surprises me that collectively we spend thousands on travel but will put ourselves into uncomfortable surroundings so as to consume sub-standard fare.
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 5:12 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Perhaps I'm having a senior moment, but I'm sure I remember plates of handmade sandwiches coming out in the old AMS lounge ?
Old Oct 30, 2017, 5:38 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Fitch
Perhaps I'm having a senior moment, but I'm sure I remember plates of handmade sandwiches coming out in the old AMS lounge ?
Quite. The OP was there at breakfast and the butties only arrive at about 11:30.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 7:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
I'm flying back from AMS this Sunday... Hoping to get a half decent breakfast, but I am not optimistic now. Pretty new to 'premium' offerings, but really enjoyed the GVA lounge, which was more than adequate. Will post pictures when I fly from AMS if I remember, for comparison.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 9:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I suppose it depends on what you usually eat for breakfast.

We have a mixture of cereal/yoghurt/fruit/pastries/toast/honey/jam coffee/yerba mate. The yerba seems to be missing although I might have expected to see some cheese and cold meat in AMS.
theres our boy! Never fails, Hiddy to he rescue!

Last edited by BOStonTravels; Oct 31, 2017 at 5:56 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.