Wiki Posts
Search

New automatic push back

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2018, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by MPH1980
So given the tug is only lifting at the point of the front wheel - surely it only needs to be able to handle a 3rd of the weight?
Given where the aircraft's centre of gravity/mass is, I wonder whether the nose wheel bears anything near one-third of the aircraft's weight.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Given where the aircraft's centre of gravity/mass is, I wonder whether the nose wheel bears anything near one-third of the aircraft's weight.
Possibly as little as 5%-10%. Where's waterhorse?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 5:51 am

I'm possibly being very silly here - but there's 3 weight distribution points on the planes - front wheel and two wheels under the wing.

So given the tug is only lifting at the point of the front wheel - surely it only needs to be able to handle a 3rd of the weight?
Ah you may have hit the nail on the head... I assumed that because the smaller one (The one in use at T5A) is rated for 90T (Slightly more than the MTOW of a A320), that it was based on the aircraft weight.

Should of done physics in school..
Old Jul 18, 2018, 6:12 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Calum
Should of done physics in school..
Arguably you should have done English too...
Old Jul 18, 2018, 6:13 am

Programs: BAEC
I'm possibly being very silly here - but there's 3 weight distribution points on the planes - front wheel and two wheels under the wing.

Larger planes like the B747 & A380 have 5 sets of wheels so even less of a problem moving these.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Deltus
Arguably you should have done English too...
U wot m8?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by babats
Larger planes like the B747 & A380 have 5 sets of wheels so even less of a problem moving these.
Except - of course - the friction generated by the increased surface area of the wheels will be greater and the overall mass you have to move is still huge.

I'd guess the makers of this machine have two concerns:

1) can the lift actually lift the wheel
2) can the drive produce enough force to move the whole aircraft.

Both of which are problems which have already been overcome with the petrol driven tugs ... so presumably it's more a question of doing it in a compact, battery driven, situation.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Except - of course - the friction generated by the increased surface area of the wheels will be greater and the overall mass you have to move is still huge.

I'd guess the makers of this machine have two concerns:

1) can the lift actually lift the wheel
2) can the drive produce enough force to move the whole aircraft.

Both of which are problems which have already been overcome with the petrol driven tugs ... so presumably it's more a question of doing it in a compact, battery driven, situation.
To push these planes they have to have a loads of ballast to get traction. The ones BA uses are Douglas DC-12's which weigh 50 tonnes themselves (Older conventional tugs, which are probably kicking around in use), or towbarless TBL-400/600's which weigh 30/37 tonnes each, and all have some big diesel engine in them.

Fun fact, the Armored Personal Carrier in the 1986 movie Aliens, was an ex British Airways tug (Hunslet ATT77).
Old Jul 22, 2018, 3:16 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I love the new tug. Whenever I get the chance I post photos on twitter under #robotug
Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:12 am

These aren't infallible. BA1416 to Belfast stuck at the gate today due to a failed mototok which won't turn left.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:23 am

Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by doctoravios
These aren't infallible. BA1416 to Belfast stuck at the gate today due to a failed mototok which won't turn left.
Tell him to turn right three times.
shefgab and bhbloke like this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: BA Gold; MB Ti; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; RR Gold
Originally Posted by dougzz
Suspect HALs Groundskeeper wouldnt take kindly to the tyre divots on the grass ...
Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:43 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by dougzz
^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.