Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New Club World Service 2017 - catering and bedding – experiences and reactions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: makin'miles
New Club World Service 2017

Effective July 6, 2018, new bedding products expected to be on all Club World flights, worldwide (including LHR, LGW and LCY services).

New catering and bedding

Routes on which the new catering and bedding are in operation.
Launched October 2017
London Heathrow - New York JFK
Launched February 2018 (all from London Heathrow LHR):
Boston (BOS), Baltimore (BWI), Dubai (DXB), Newark (EWR), Philadelphia (PHL), Washington (IAD), Hong Kong (HKG)
Launched March 2018 (LHR)
San Francisco (SFO), Los Angeles (LAX), San Josι (SJC), San Diego (SAN). Las Vegas (LAS), Phoenix (PHX), Seychelles (SEZ from 25 March)
Launched 4 April 2018 (LHR)
Houston (IAH), Miami (MIA), Dallas Fort Worth (DFW), New Orleans (MSY).
Launched 1 May 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched on DEN, ATL, SEA, YVR)
Denver (DEN), Atlanta (ATL), Austin (AUS), Nassau-Grand Cayman (NAS-GCM), Seattle (SEA), Vancouver (YVR), Calgary (YYC), Nashville (BNA)
Launched 17 May 2018 (LHR) - (Catering previously launched on ORD, YUL, YYZ)
Toronto (YYZ), Montrιal (YUL), Chicago (ORD)
Launched 1 July 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched on CPT, JNB, SIN, SIN-SYD)
Cape Town (CPT), Johannesburg (JNB), Singapore (SIN), Singapore-Sydney (SIN-SYD)
Launched 1 August 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Abu Dhabi (AUH), Bahrain (BAH)
Launched 1 September 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Delhi (DEL), Kuwait (KWI), Muscat (MCT)
Launched 1 October 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Buenos Aires (EZE), Jeddah (JED), Mexico City (MEX), Rio de Janeiro (GIG), Riyadh (RUH), Santiago (SCL), Sao Paulo (GRU), Tokyo Haneda (HND), Tokyo Narita (NRT)
Launched 28 October 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Abuja (ABV), Accra (ACC), Bangkok (BKK), Bangalore (BLR), Beijing (PEK), Chennai (MAA), Hyderabad (HYD), Kuala Lumpur (KUL), Lagos (LOS), Mumbai (BOM), Nairobi (NBO), Shanghai (PVG)

Launched 2018
London City (LCY) - New York (JFK)

Bedding only routes (as of 31 May 2018)
Bedding now launched on all LHR services
AMM, BEY, CAI, DME, DOH, ICN, IKA, LAD, TLV (IKA and LAD routes subsequently terminated; catering on remaining LHR routes expected to launch in December 2018).

LGW routes: White Company products expected to be on all LGW flights effective 06 July 2018, at which time all Club World routes worldwide will feature the new bedding product (see post 1367). Reports that new bedding loaded on LGW-JFK in late June (see post 1349).
Print Wikipost

New Club World Service 2017 - catering and bedding – experiences and reactions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:28 am

How much longer, on average, does the meal service take now from start to finish?
Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:32 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Aftter several enjoyable experiences on the JFK flight, this week I had my first experience of the "long" West coast version of the new service and on an A380 at that.

[If I start with the slightly bad, though only partly/possibly related, the flight was delayed a little due to a catering delay. Not sure if it is in any way related to the new concept but that was certainly not the ideal start of the trip especially as boarding was a right mess - people crowding the whole boarding area with complete disregard for group number lanes, nobody policing anything, people with babies and wheelchairs unable to access priority boarding, etc. There was also no sparkling water on the flight and toilets had empty soap and lotion containers at the start of the flight!]

With that out of the way, I think that the new concept works particularly well on those longer flights in terms of both quantity and quality. The crew seemed a little panicked (did not propose the soup or the choice of dressing with the salad, or the warm brownie dessert, etc) but they managed to serve the meal quite quickly. Aperitif served about 1h30 after take off on the little trays. New powdered almond/dried corn snack which I did not really like.

Meal itself started about 1h45 into the flight. My crayfish starter was nice for the most part (a green creamy thing was not but the crayfish itself and lemon gel was). The other starter was goat cheese which looked pretty. I also had the side salad which was fresh and very pleasant. As mentioned, I was not offered the choice of dressing (got the vinaigrette which was fine, I would have preferred to try the other but not enough to return the plate and embarrass the nice crew).

The choice of mains was not my favourite but my braised beef was quite substantially better than most CW main and much prettier too. The meat was cut as a very neat cube, it was served with slow braised barley with meat and veg, and some Chantenay carrots and leek (the leek was not well washed and felt sandy. That would be my only complaint about the dish). Other choices were a chicken tagine with couscous and grilled courgette or vegetarian pasta.

For dessert, I had the raspberries and blueberries. Bizarrely, to me, this (compared to the usual ghastly melon and grape thing) epitomises the step up in catering better than any other dish. it was lovely. I also had the orange tart, the same as the previous version. The chocolate 'delice' did not look nice, I would have liked to taste the brownie but none offered and my query puzzled the crew ('I don't think we have that?' -- looking at me queryingly). Cheese plate looked nice but I already had one in the ccr! First meal over just under 3h30 after take off.

Second meal started with a trout timbale which I had - not memorable taste wise but very pretty - or tomato mozzarella. Mains were a roast chicken breast with peas, broad beans, and sweet potato mash which I had (very nice except the unseasoned mash), chicken sandwich (two chicken dishes out of three plus one in the first meal was too many!) or an oriental salad with salmon. Dessert was deconstructed banoffee. Too sweet but nice. The second meal started about 1h45 before landing which was good.

Also the flight (LAX) had the new bedding.

On the whole, a great improvement again for West coast flight ^^^
3h30? Wow. That is way too long IMO.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:41 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
More than 3.5h for the whole meal on a day flight, 1.5h for a first beverage after take off is absolutely unacceptable. 40m tops is what I consider acceptable in J on a day flight. 20-30m on a short night flight (I except 20m on the UD of a 747 where most of my BA short red eyes are spent but tolerate 30m otherwise).

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Aftter several enjoyable experiences on the JFK flight, this week I had my first experience of the "long" West coast version of the new service and on an A380 at that.

[If I start with the slightly bad, though only partly/possibly related, the flight was delayed a little due to a catering delay. Not sure if it is in any way related to the new concept but that was certainly not the ideal start of the trip especially as boarding was a right mess - people crowding the whole boarding area with complete disregard for group number lanes, nobody policing anything, people with babies and wheelchairs unable to access priority boarding, etc. There was also no sparkling water on the flight and toilets had empty soap and lotion containers at the start of the flight!]

With that out of the way, I think that the new concept works particularly well on those longer flights in terms of both quantity and quality. The crew seemed a little panicked (did not propose the soup or the choice of dressing with the salad, or the warm brownie dessert, etc) but they managed to serve the meal quite quickly. Aperitif served about 1h30 after take off on the little trays. New powdered almond/dried corn snack which I did not really like.

Meal itself started about 1h45 into the flight. My crayfish starter was nice for the most part (a green creamy thing was not but the crayfish itself and lemon gel was). The other starter was goat cheese which looked pretty. I also had the side salad which was fresh and very pleasant. As mentioned, I was not offered the choice of dressing (got the vinaigrette which was fine, I would have preferred to try the other but not enough to return the plate and embarrass the nice crew).

The choice of mains was not my favourite but my braised beef was quite substantially better than most CW main and much prettier too. The meat was cut as a very neat cube, it was served with slow braised barley with meat and veg, and some Chantenay carrots and leek (the leek was not well washed and felt sandy. That would be my only complaint about the dish). Other choices were a chicken tagine with couscous and grilled courgette or vegetarian pasta.

For dessert, I had the raspberries and blueberries. Bizarrely, to me, this (compared to the usual ghastly melon and grape thing) epitomises the step up in catering better than any other dish. it was lovely. I also had the orange tart, the same as the previous version. The chocolate 'delice' did not look nice, I would have liked to taste the brownie but none offered and my query puzzled the crew ('I don't think we have that?' -- looking at me queryingly). Cheese plate looked nice but I already had one in the ccr! First meal over just under 3h30 after take off.

Second meal started with a trout timbale which I had - not memorable taste wise but very pretty - or tomato mozzarella. Mains were a roast chicken breast with peas, broad beans, and sweet potato mash which I had (very nice except the unseasoned mash), chicken sandwich (two chicken dishes out of three plus one in the first meal was too many!) or an oriental salad with salmon. Dessert was deconstructed banoffee. Too sweet but nice. The second meal started about 1h45 before landing which was good.

Also the flight (LAX) had the new bedding.

On the whole, a great improvement again for West coast flight ^^^

Last edited by sts603; Mar 19, 2018 at 1:22 am
Old Mar 19, 2018, 1:01 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Frequent flyer 101
How much longer, on average, does the meal service take now from start to finish?
Although not a technically accurate response, I saw the whole of one and most of a second film during the meal service on the flight to BOS.

Perhaps as it was the late flight (some were asleep) and many had eaten or the ground as well, but few on the UD had the second light snack. I think the fact that the main meal service had only ended say 90 minutes earlier may also have been a reason.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 1:23 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Can I help you
We don’t have enough salads so we have been told not to offer them, I like the watercress mouse with the crayfish.
When we were trained we were told to offer all the choices and allow two and three if it’s available when everyone had chosen, now we don’t push anything so that everyone gets a choice.
So the original idea was to prompt the customer to take two choices (in some ways in line with the old approach - starter+salad - but with more flexibility). Now they have already reduced catering so that its only catered for one to give people choice but the crew can allow a second starter or addition of salad or soup if asked by proactive customers?
Old Mar 19, 2018, 1:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
Although not a technically accurate response, I saw the whole of one and most of a second film during the meal service on the flight to BOS.
That's entirely too long for a meal service. Big thumbs down.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by sts603
So the original idea was to prompt the customer to take two choices (in some ways in line with the old approach - starter+salad - but with more flexibility). Now they have already reduced catering so that its only catered for one to give people choice but the crew can allow a second starter or addition of salad or soup if asked by proactive customers?
Correct, only 20% can also have a salad and 20% can also have soup.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 2:10 am
Suspended

Correct, only 20% can also have a salad and 20% can also have soup.
Wow. Figured cuts were coming but not this absurd before they even rolled out the new product across the system. That's absurd. What's the overall loading of the starters?

Have crew been told to deny requests for more than one or two dishes?
Old Mar 19, 2018, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have posted this before, here are the previous and new quantities.
OLD
100% starters and 100% salads. Total 200%.
NEW
100% starters, 20% salads and 20% soup. Total 140%.
The process now is to not offer more than one choice and then only 40% hopefully ask for something else.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 2:19 am
Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
Have there been many instances where customers are turned down who ask for a starter + salad? If not, then perhaps BA has just got the ratios correct. However, I'm never fan of "you need to be proactive" in premium cabins. Too many people will never have travelled that airline before or be a member of a forum like this and simply have no idea something is available in order to ask for it. If the menu doesn't give an indication that you can have both, many people wouldn't think to ask. I don't think crew necessarily have to explicitly mention it, but it should be listed on the menu somewhere. THe same goes for things like slippers or pyjamas in F when they aren't proactively offered. Some might not know they even exist.
justforfun, wrp96 and florens like this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 3:11 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by sts603
... 1.5h for a first beverage after take off is absolutely unacceptable. 40m tops is what I consider acceptable in J on a day flight.
This astonished me too. At that point I’d be cracking open the duty free.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 3:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by BA235

This astonished me too. At that point I’d be cracking open the duty free.
I think I'd be pressing the call bell well before that point!

@orbitmic where were you seated? Hopefully with that wait you were sitting at the very back of the cabin. Still no excuse for such a long wait, irrespective of where you were sat.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 3:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Cιlestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
I have posted this before, here are the previous and new quantities.
OLD
100% starters and 100% salads. Total 200%.
NEW
100% starters, 20% salads and 20% soup. Total 140%.
The process now is to not offer more than one choice and then only 40% hopefully ask for something else.
This is not good, especially where the salad is concerned as I see that as a staple part of a balanced meal.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 4:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ziz
Have there been many instances where customers are turned down who ask for a starter + salad? If not, then perhaps BA has just got the ratios correct. However, I'm never fan of "you need to be proactive" in premium cabins. Too many people will never have travelled that airline before or be a member of a forum like this and simply have no idea something is available in order to ask for it. If the menu doesn't give an indication that you can have both, many people wouldn't think to ask. I don't think crew necessarily have to explicitly mention it, but it should be listed on the menu somewhere. THe same goes for things like slippers or pyjamas in F when they aren't proactively offered. Some might not know they even exist.
This is a good question (though I agree on the proactive point). Can I Help You, any thoughts?
Old Mar 19, 2018, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Firstly there is always going to be waste if you want to give a choice but I think not offering all customers a salad is a mistake, with the old service very rarely were the salads left uneaten.
With the new service even though we have low quantities of salad we usually end up with some of these leftover as we do
not proactively offer these.
BA needs to make up their minds if this new service is meant to be an improvement and if it is give us more quantities so that we can actively promote what we have.
florens, Tobias-UK and mjh0 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.