Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Warm Champagne in CE

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: AVIS presidents club, BA GGL, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
My last several Club Europe flights have all had warm champagne. Only once have I ever witnessed a crew member use their initiative and place some of the small champagne bottles in a container with some ice to keep them chilled.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Vinotraveller
In my experience some of the best shorthaul crews are far more pro-active about ensuring the Champagne is nicely chilled. I recall chatting with one crew member who I noticed had put several bottles on ice while we were boarding. He also greeted all CE pax by name etc too so was clearly someone with great attention to detail.

No surprise perhaps that crews that seem disinterested are also the ones that serve warm Champagne! (albeit in my limited experience).
Exactly. When they're great, they're really great. They're proactive with chilling the champagne and are excellent in the service. Unfortunately, few and far between and most aren't interested and don't address you by name.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA GGL/CCR, TK Elite Plus, Marriott Gold4Lyfe, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Tesco Blue
I kept thinking "wow, I guess I just keep getting bad crews" when I read the first few replies. Then I saw some of the others, and see that my experience with mostly lazy/disinterested/"You should know I'm far too good to be in this job" crews seems not to be completely out of the norm.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Please don't shout at me, but if the champers is too warm, you could ask for a little ice?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 1:30 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Talking

Originally Posted by Wembleygal
Please don't shout at me, but if the champers is too warm, you could ask for a little ice?
You might want to duck for cover whilst you still can
Gastrocnemius likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
You might want to duck for cover whilst you still can
Why? Is champagne like whiskey and is spoilt by water?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 2:55 pm

Sorry but champagne should not be served with ice. They'd be horrified in the Reims and Epernay region if they saw you put ice in champagne.
Wembleygal likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 3:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat.
Like many here, while sitting in ET, I would not say no to a warm Castelnooo if offered.....
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
Originally Posted by highexpectations
Sorry but champagne should not be served with ice. They'd be horrified in the Reims and Epernay region if they saw you put ice in champagne.
Agree, although apart from some new products such as Moet Ice, which is a sweeter Champagne designed to by served with ice and fruit. It is utterly grim by the way though. Aimed primarily at the nightclub market for people with more money than sense and a lack of taste.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:08 am

Programs: BA Gold
I will get some popcorn this could be good 😁

Ice in the Champagne!!!! Heaven Forbid 😅
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Has happened three times for me, always on the "short" band flights with the small bottles. On the last two times, very good crew wisely asked if I'd be wanting another so they could stick the next one in to be chilled. Which was nice, but it means the bottles are normally being stored somewhere warm/ambient.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Padmeister
I will get some popcorn this could be good 😁

Ice in the Champagne!!!! Heaven Forbid 😅
same applies to white wine for me, no ice

On a separate note, once I was in a lounge (don't remember where) and a group of Russian tourists were not happy about the bubbles available in there. So off they went to buy some Clicquot at the Duty free, came back in the lounge and drunk it with ice.

Heaven Forbid!
Old Aug 30, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

One of my pet peeves when flying is the temperature of the champagne. I like my champagne property chilled and I find many airlines experience difficulty getting this right, especially so pre-departure. I find QR and AA to be the worst culprits for this.
Shock! Horror! For once I'm going to have to agree with a negative QR comment.

Just this afternoon Mrs PtF and I were flying QR F AMM DOH (on a 15 month old 777 - but that's another story). The pre-flight rose champagne we were served was literally undrinkable - it hadn't been chilled at all; it was at room temperature. In QR's defence the CSD advised that they have to lock all alcohol away until boarding is in progress; giving them no time to chill the champagne for pre-departure drinks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.