Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR-LAS, not a trip report!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

So an update...

Flew back from LAS last night and sat in 60J & K with my partner. As we began to taxi the safety demo began but our screens didn't work. As a result the whole system had to be rebooted and a manual safety demo carried out. Despite numerous attempts our screens never worked. Further, after the first reboot, the seat power completely went so no recline. The CSM made every effort to fix it but to no avail. In the end we were each given a bottle of champagne from first and she raised a complaint, telling us the most we could hope for was 9000 Avios each. Is this true?

As an aside, there was only one crew member working the upper deck (I assume due to strike). She worked very hard and was very pleasant but clearly very unhappy and stressed in her job
Old Aug 23, 2017, 12:19 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
In the end we were each given a bottle of champagne from first and she raised a complaint, telling us the most we could hope for was 9000 Avios each. Is this true?
Sorry to hear about the flight, it doesn't sound like a good experience. The short staffed flights appear to be coming to an end, if that's any comfort.

It's unusual (but not impossible) that Customer Relations will offer more than 10k Avios. There was a time when they offered a lot more than that (by a factor of 4 or so in this sort of case) but those days are gone. It was probably over the top in those days and now the pendulum has swung too far the other way.

The point I tend to make in this sort of context is that as someone with access to the right information and resources it's entirely appropriate for you to decide what remediation is suitable, and to attempt enforce that remediation through the several channels now open to you. Two can play hard ball.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Aug 23, 2017 at 2:17 am
Old Aug 23, 2017, 1:59 am

Wow, no flat-bed for a LAS-LHR flight? That is truly unacceptable.
I would be tempted to claim back the majority of the segment cost if that is the case. There is a clear discrepancy between the product they promised and the product given and the fault lies under their jurisdiction.

It's gotta be MCOL I feel. Two indeed do play hard-ball, but IMO BA's stance is totally unethical; only being that way to avoid setting precedents for when it invariably happens again.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 2:01 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by garyfinny
Wow, no flat-bed for a LAS-LHR flight? That is truly unacceptable.
I would be tempted to claim back the majority of the segment cost if that is the case. There is a clear discrepancy between the product they promised and the product given and the fault lies under their jurisdiction.

It's gotta be MCOL I feel. Two indeed do play hard-ball, but IMO BA's stance is totally unethical; only being that way to avoid setting precedents for when it invariably happens again.
this route is getting famous for ‘broken down equipment’ as it has BA’s oldest interiors ! BA seems to be getting away with it, I wonder how many people actually fight it out to get something back.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 2:21 am

I am sure someone has the proper figures but I'd be amazed if more than 25% are claiming what they are entitled to, between this and EU261. For every person that posts here, there are probably quite a few who either end up sucking it up or thinking that their offer means case closed.

There is obviously huge vested interests for BA to behave in the way they do. Arguably if they paid these claims fairly, in the long run it may actually work out better for them, because there would be greater motivation to fix these problems and there would not be the associated costs of failure, both tangible and intangible.

Short-term cash flow is king though.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:20 am

Programs: BAEC
I flew this route last week in F and have a few thoughts:

The F cabin in the aircraft we flew on (G-CIVL) was in good condition generally, and was clean. The IFE was slow and low resolution as expected, although there is some introductory text at the beginning of a movie I watched, and I could barely see it was there, let alone read it!

The safety demo didn't work properly and sound disappeared, so the crew had to give a manual demo.

We seem to be back to the no amuse-bouche routine, and the menu had lost a few choices from the starters and deserts compared to what was shown on MMB 30 days prior.

But given the dire reviews I have seen of this category of aircraft, I was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't all that bad.

As a comparison though, I flew back from IAH yesterday on G-VIIC (a 777) and it was far superior - but just by virtue of having more space and better IFE, as well as a more sophisticated cabin. I had always flown first on a 747 before, and so had no comparison. This was better.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Advice Needed. BA claiming it never happened...

Just under a month ago I flew to Vegas in Club. A piece of the china plate in my main course had chipped off and I cut the roof of my mouth. I called a crew member and she seemed disinterested so I called the CSM. He took out his iPad and said he'd report it. I had taken pics of the plate

I posted the details on here at the time.

I heard nothing from BA so 2 weeks ago (2 weeks after the flight) i emailed them. Yesterday I sent them a message via twitter & this morning got a call from someone on the social media team. They told me they had no record of it and that no foreign body had been found and there was nothing more they could do. I told him I had spoken to the CSM & had pics of it which I'd sent to BA via twitter. "Oh right, I'll call you back..."

Any advice
Old Sep 7, 2017, 6:40 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
"Oh right, I'll call you back..."

Any advice
Wait for them to call back and see what they say?
Flame3601 likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 7:32 am
Original Poster

So I got the call back..

The details have miraculously surfaced and the "foreign body" has been passed on to the food safety team. Funny that, I have it....

"Oh I'll have to look into it and ring you again"

The lies are incredible

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.