Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Consequences of dropping out of Gold for a Year...??

Old Aug 31, 17, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

Hello,

this year could be a bit lean on the travel front...being trapped within Europe for the most part...

Unless I do a massive tier point run I simply don't think I'm going to make it...

I've been Gold for a few years, but really what are the consequences of not having a consistent track record of being a Gold...??

Ok, so I drop down to Silver for the year and suffer reduced benefits...but in 2019 I'll be on the road again...??

Is it really worth spending £3k to £4k on hurried tier point runs to get back up there just to keep being a consistent player in BA's eyes...??

Chris

Last edited by Chris_G; Aug 31, 17 at 7:31 pm Reason: grammar
Old Aug 31, 17, 7:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum
No, it will make no difference. Unless you can see £3k-£4k of benefit in GF lounge access for a year over GC, and some additional reward availability, save your money.

I think it's clear right now that BA puts little value on perceived loyalty.
Moomba, mdj1 and tedcruz like this.
Old Aug 31, 17, 7:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat.
Zero reason to spend even $1 to be a consistent player in BA's eye's. Loyalty is a one way street. And I really believe status is a by product of usage. If you are not using BA that much, then you wont miss the benefits of elevated status since many the benefits relieve some of the humdrum and tediousness of the airport.
Old Sep 1, 17, 3:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
If I manage my travel year correctly, I will do exactly 0 TPs (spending Avios instead of cash) and accept the soft landing to Silver for a year.

Despite my minor concern regarding the quality of champagne in the regular lounges and a bit more queueing, there's simply little value in Gold (especially at outstations) and BA have shown themselves quite unworthy of loyalty. 15 years straight as a Gold with nary a gesture from BA.

Of course there's nothing stopping you for undertaking a massive TP run once Silver, which basically gets you two years of Gold.
Old Sep 1, 17, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by Chris_G View Post
Is it really worth spending £3k to £4k on hurried tier point runs to get back up there just to keep being a consistent player in BA's eyes...??

Chris
A what?
Old Sep 1, 17, 4:01 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
If you were considered important by BA you'd be waving a black card around, not a gold one.

Of course of far greater consequence is the pariah status that you'd acquire on the BAEC Forum from dropping down to silver.
Old Sep 1, 17, 4:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
If I manage my travel year correctly, I will do exactly 0 TPs (spending Avios instead of cash) and accept the soft landing to Silver for a year.

Despite my minor concern regarding the quality of champagne in the regular lounges and a bit more queueing, there's simply little value in Gold (especially at outstations) and BA have shown themselves quite unworthy of loyalty. 15 years straight as a Gold with nary a gesture from BA.

Of course there's nothing stopping you for undertaking a massive TP run once Silver, which basically gets you two years of Gold.
these are my thoughts as well...Chris
Old Sep 1, 17, 5:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Unless you expect to be flying through T5 a lot during the year which would otherwise be Silver (in which case, you might miss the First Wing & GF lounge...), I really wouldn't bother. Gold benefits over Silver are negligible at most outstation airports (with a few exceptions) and even places like LGW it hardly makes a difference these days...

BA don't care in the slightest how "consistently" you are Gold...honestly. They don't even really care about Gold or even GGL in terms of loyalty, to be honest...
Old Sep 1, 17, 6:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors, Virgin
They don't even really care about Gold
In fact, if what I was told by a senior CC member friend is correct senior management see us as a PITA.

The CC member was at a seminar/presentation at which Cruz was present. When he was asked about the biggest issues he faced, one of his replies was the number of GCHs who just expect too much from BA. He was,apparently fed up with his inbox being filled with disgruntled frequent fliers
Old Sep 1, 17, 6:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by steve170461 View Post
In fact, if what I was told by a senior CC member friend is correct senior management see us as a PITA.

The CC member was at a seminar/presentation at which Cruz was present. When he was asked about the biggest issues he faced, one of his replies was the number of GCHs who just expect too much from BA. He was,apparently fed up with his inbox being filled with disgruntled frequent fliers
I empathise. Customers can be such an inconvenience.

Not the sort of thing that would have troubled Sr. Cruz in the more egalitarian world of Vueling.
Old Sep 1, 17, 6:17 am

Programs: BA, EK, UA, MK
Having been Gold for many years as a regular longhaul traveller, I recently dropped BA and having gone all the way to zero status, can cheerfully confirm there's life on the other side. I've crept back over the last couple of months and will shortly regain Silver but honestly don't feel the need to run in small circles to go any higher. Shopping around for better value fares with a "pay as you go" approach to status is a definite strategy and is discussed elsewhere on these boards. If you're buying a ticket in F/J you'll acquire the basics - lounge, boarding priority etc - with the ticket, and I seem to be able to get through the flights without being greeted by name and so on. You can crunch the numbers to work out whether the Avios generated by the loyalty are worth more than the savings you'd make by PAYG, and could doubtless persuade the numbers to support either approach. I took a trip to the US recently in F (not even as a Bronze..) and would say my treatment - which was very proficient - was not noticeably different from back in my Gold days. I'm guessing the principal differences come ahead of the trip in terms of some of priorities in managing the booking, such as not having to pay for seat reservations - in CW, really? - and so on. At the end of the day, as other posters often point out, being "only" Gold is no great shakes if you expect really preferential treatment.
Old Sep 1, 17, 6:23 am

I am a Silver year on year purely based on leisure flying. I could easily do a TP run or two and get Gold but what's the point really? I usually fly at least business class so I get the most important perks with that anyway. Yes I could have a shiny gold card in my wallet but that is just bragging rights.

I think if you do a lot of Economy flying which I doubt most on here do I can understand why chasing a higher status would help a little bit but I don't think Gold in it's own right gives you enough to spend excess money on getting it! I find Silver the best card on offer for benefits/money spent
Old Sep 1, 17, 6:25 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
As a silver recently promoted to gold, the difference travelling is negligible. Still fast track, seat selection, priority boarding and lounge access (which more often than not is the same regardless of status).

The move to gold has been a novelty - especially the double avios open redemptions and the higher accrual rate - but its hardly life changing. And the benefit of being able to select the front row in ET is now tainted by the realisation that the rear row of CE is reserved for those who like to recline whilst taxing on a 90 min late morning flight!

The difference, as a mainly EU in ET traveller, is hardly worth spending hard earned cash from a personal perspective unless you are a high TP silver.
Old Sep 1, 17, 6:26 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Originally Posted by Padmeister View Post
I find Silver the best card on offer for benefits/money spent
^
Old Sep 1, 17, 6:53 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Although rationally Silver is probably the economic sweet-spot for my travel patterns, emotionally I'm happy to put in a 900 point TP run once a year to stay Gold. I enjoy flying, and that trip (previously to HNL, we'll see where to next ) is always good fun and a chance to try different planes.

My problem this year is whether to aim for a GUF2.......

Search this Thread
Search Engine: