Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best lounge at Kuala Lumpur

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Grande Annee
I guess it will be the regional MH Golden Lounge in the main building then that could be the best option for the BA flight departing at 2355
Probably. If you just want a coffee and sandwiches (and aren't too fussy!) then Cathay would be OK since you probably would want to leave the lounge soon after 23:00 hrs anyway, boarding starts about then. There is no noodle bar there, just snacks. Qatar leaves at 02:30 or thereabouts so that lounge isn't really an option for them. For a bigger range of food and drink you are probably in the regional Golden lounge, but make sure you allow enough time for the shuttle and security.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I believe the MH First and Business International lounges in the Satellite terminal are now closed for refurb!?

Which lounge do BA now use during the closure?

Thanks
Well, the renovated MH lounge in the main terminal has reopened and should be nice. I haven't been but there was never a huge difference with the satellite lounge in my view. There is also a CX lounge in the satellite but nothing to write home about.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Probably. If you just want a coffee and sandwiches (and aren't too fussy!) then Cathay would be OK since you probably would want to leave the lounge soon after 23:00 hrs anyway, boarding starts about then. There is no noodle bar there, just snacks. Qatar leaves at 02:30 or thereabouts so that lounge isn't really an option for them. For a bigger range of food and drink you are probably in the regional Golden lounge, but make sure you allow enough time for the shuttle and security.
Thanks CWS, I just want a couple of drinks before I board so maybe I might just head to the CX lounge.
I guess neither the CX or MH Regional have champagne?

Last edited by Grande Annee; Oct 27, 2017 at 6:12 am
Old Oct 26, 2017, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Well, the renovated MH lounge in the main terminal has reopened and should be nice. I haven't been but there was never a huge difference with the satellite lounge in my view. There is also a CX lounge in the satellite but nothing to write home about.
Thank you.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 3:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Qatar travellers may use the Plaza Premium First lounge, also in the Mezzanine East Zone floor in the Satellite but on the opposite side to Cathay. This is not the same as the Plaza Premium main lounge. And actually it's doubtful if this is an improvement on the MH (MAS) lounge but it is near to the boarding gates.
Have you been to the Plaza Premium First? Only opened in July, but not sure who else has access other than QR - you can't buy access, only to the main PP. The main PP lounge was a bit worn, but decent enough buffet food (well, similar to the MH J buffet, and much better than CX), and a friendly manned bar. PP First is allegedly a la carte menu

Like some others, I always quite liked the Rimbun regional lounge in the MTB, and preferred it to satellite J, but it'll be rammed at the moment with the satellite lounges closed
Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ, BA CCR GGL
The regional lounge has reopened and been refurbished as mentioned. It is definitely a step above the previous lounge and better than CX in both food and ambience.It has an attended smart bar so I would be surprised if it did not have champagne(although nothing in Malaysia surprises me anymore).
Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:32 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR
Some pics of the refurbished MH regional lounge in the main terminal can be seen here.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ, BA CCR GGL
Thanks.the platinum/first is temporary whilst the satellite lounge is now being refurbed.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 7:15 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Thanks CSD, I just want a couple of drinks before I board so maybe I might just head to the CX lounge.
I guess neither the CX or MH Regional have champagne?
While I didn't check if they have champagne at the MH regional lounge post-refurb, I know it had bubbly before the refurb, so I'd expect it to remain that way. Don't expect anything fancy, though.

If for some reason they don't have it and you really want your champagne, you can still head to the CX lounge by taking the train. It's not much of a detour because you'll have to board the train at some point to reach your boarding gate.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 1:07 am

Programs: Aegean Airlines Silver, British Airways Gold, Virgin Atlantic Silver
Originally Posted by SilverChris
While I didn't check if they have champagne at the MH regional lounge post-refurb, I know it had bubbly before the refurb, so I'd expect it to remain that way. Don't expect anything fancy, though.

If for some reason they don't have it and you really want your champagne, you can still head to the CX lounge by taking the train. It's not much of a detour because you'll have to board the train at some point to reach your boarding gate.
They only had sparkling wine on Tuesday- no champagne
Old Oct 27, 2017, 1:40 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by SilverChris

Does the CX lounge offer champagne?
Old Oct 27, 2017, 1:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by kt74
Have you been to the Plaza Premium First? Only opened in July, but not sure who else has access other than QR - you can't buy access, only to the main PP. The main PP lounge was a bit worn, but decent enough buffet food (well, similar to the MH J buffet, and much better than CX), and a friendly manned bar. PP First is allegedly a la carte menu
Yes I have been to this lounge, Sri Lanka also uses it, along with a number of other non oneworld airlines, notably from Japan and South Korea, it's open 24/7. There are only a few lounges in the Satellite so the smaller airlines have to make do with what is available. And yes it's an a la carte menu,there are 2 menus, day time and after 23 hrs, neither are that long (5 and 6 items) and the late menu seem directed at Japanese and Korean palates on the whole.

It's a staffed bar, only a few options there, in line with the other KUL lounges, and limited soft drinks. However they do have Schweppes soda water, which in Malaysia is a bit niche, they aren't into fizzy water there. The wine options are Terrazas Reserva Malbec for red, and Chardonnay for white, no sparkling wine. Carlsberg beer. Better selection of spirits, Bombay Sapphire for gin. The lounge has a self service table with salads, snack items and cake on it, but there is a high staff ratio since it's essentially not a self service lounge.
kt74 likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by Anfield
Some pics of the refurbished MH regional lounge in the main terminal can be seen here.
Thanks ^
Old Oct 27, 2017, 8:56 am

Thanks ^
It was pretty busy around 8pm on Saturday, although we found seats. If you are planning a shower then these are limited in supply and they don't have any way to tell you when there is one free (unless you queue near the showers!).

It had quietened out a bit by 9:30pm. Once the Satellite lounge re-opens it will probably be better. The food selection looked quite good although we just had drinks as we were eating on the flight.

It's quite an open-plan space.. could really do with having been separated up a bit more. Might have helped with the loud sounds of a man retching and vomiting a lot. Staff took him in to a private area and we saw him stretchered out through a back door..
20Rothmans likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 12:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
However they do have Schweppes soda water, which in Malaysia is a bit niche, they aren't into fizzy water there. The wine options are Terrazas Reserva Malbec for red, and Chardonnay for white, no sparkling wine. Carlsberg beer. Better selection of spirits, Bombay Sapphire for gin.
Excellent news on the Bombay and Schweppes... After a week in the tropics with too much Carlsberg, a stiff G&T is definitely called for...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.