Best lounge at Kuala Lumpur

Old Aug 18, 2017, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Best lounge at Kuala Lumpur

We have a family trip coming up: LHR-SIN-LGK (Langkawi)-KUL-HKT(Phuket)-BKK-LHR all ticketed on BA/OW apart from the SIN-LGK leg. Looking forward to finally trying F on the A380 to SIN and less so CW home from BKK booked using a joker, 2x2-4-1s, a GUF2 and 2xGUF.

We have a 4 hour connection at KUL arriving and departing on MH. Please could someone let me whuch lounge is recommended.

Thanks.

NW
Old Aug 18, 2017, 3:55 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There are only two and a half options, there is a medium sized Cathay lounge, which is fine for the HKG service (and I use it on that route when flying CX); the main MAS lounge in the satellite, on the first floor, which is big, and has an Emerald lounge section on one side. That's probably where you want to go. There is also a smaller MAS lounge in the main building, and if your HKT flight leaves from there it will be convenient and comfortable, but somewhat reduced in scale and offering from the satellite lounge. More details in the Lounge guide in the Dashboard.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 3:55 am

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!
In my opinion, the lounges in KL are a bit Meh. The Malaysian lounges are probably your best bet - flying to Phuket you should get away with using the regional one in the main terminal (A) rather than the ones in the (C) satellite (which aren't as nice, I don't think). And at least you avoid the horrors of the domestic lounge...

The A lounge has just been closed for refurbishment for 3 months, but should now be open again...
Old Aug 18, 2017, 4:01 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
For a HKT flight, the regional lounge is likely to be the best bet. I haven't been there since it was refurbished but it was already comparable to the international business lounge. It's compact, there are showers, it's close to the gates, and they have cake - what's not to like?

Oh and so you know, there'll be no lounge access on the HKT-BKK leg, though I'm not sure where PG are flying from since they built the new terminal.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 4:47 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Class, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by DrBernardo
And at least you avoid the horrors of the domestic lounge...
Far preferable to the delights of the domestic gates area!!

MODS: Can we please amend the spelling, it's offending my eyes!
Old Aug 18, 2017, 5:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM
I think the domestic and regional lounges in the main terminal are closed. They were meant to have opened following a refurbishment, but are delayed.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 5:28 am

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Like cws, I like the large satellite Malaysian lounge. It is comfortable and there are reasonable hot food offerings. Expecting to be there myself in the next few days.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: GGL, BA lifetime Gold, Many Hotel Sparkles
Currently the smaller lounges are indeed under refurbishment, so you'll be directed to the satellite lounge, for now.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:57 am

Programs: BA GGL
I was there earlier this week and had to take the train to the satellite lounge as the lounge in the main terminal was under refurbishment. Barely worth the effort, but still better than sitting in the terminal...
Old Aug 18, 2017, 11:48 am

As someone mentioned to me on the mh forum earlier this year (I forget who) it's worth bearing in mind that the emerald lounge is very cold (the other one is ok). Food in the restaurant is decent but the big lounge is ok too. Not great but ok.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 12:16 pm

Just don't plan on using any of the showers in the MH lounges. They are "self-service" and don't seem to be cleaned after each use. That was really surprising.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by cpdc1030
Just don't plan on using any of the showers in the MH lounges. They are "self-service" and don't seem to be cleaned after each use. That was really surprising.
What? That's not been my experience. I've found the showers to be spotless and very well managed.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks everyone.

Anyone know when the refurbishment of the main lounge is due to be completed. We are travelling over Xmas / New Year so there may be another decent option by then.

Someone upthread said we would not have lounge access at Phuket. Is that because Thai airways does not allow access on domestic flights or is there some other reason?
Old Aug 18, 2017, 3:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Newly Wed
Someone upthread said we would not have lounge access at Phuket. Is that because Thai airways does not allow access on domestic flights or is there some other reason?
You said it was all booked on BA/OneWorld and, if it's a single ticket with a BA flight number between HKT-BKK it's operated by Bangkok Airways, not Thai Airways.

Bangkok Airways is economy only and doesn't offer lounge access to BA status card holders.

If you're flying in business on Thai Airways domestic, you would have lounge access.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 3:27 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Doesn't Bangkok Air offer lounge access to all their customers?

http://www.bangkokair.com/pages/view/asia-boutique-airline

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.