Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A tale of two Operational Upgrades to CE

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2017, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
A tale of two Operational Upgrades to CE

CSM in 2016, embarrassed: "I'm really sorry sir, but the cabin has not been catered for the upgraded passengers. Here's a small sandwich from Economy class".

CSM in 2017, mortified: "I'm really sorry sir, but the cabin has not been catered for the upgraded passengers. Here's a small sandwich from Economy class. That will be 4.95, please".

Just a year ago, AA seemed like the cheapskates of this partnership. Now, with free non-alcoholic beverages for all, everything from the menu free for OWEs, and the front cabin fully catered for every SH flight they suddenly seem like the class act by every yardstick.
ajamieson likes this.

Last edited by Passmethesickbag; Aug 4, 2017 at 7:05 am
Old Aug 4, 2017, 6:57 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I can't believe that the crew don't have discretion to offer a non-catered CE passenger a free sandwich from the trolley. I know it's only an "Upgrade" and that therefore the OP was never entitled to anything free in the first place, but it still feels like naff customer service. Knowing most BA crew, if they could, they would provide it for free, so I can only assume that there has been some diktat from above that they cannot offer anything free to upgraded CE passengers.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Southlondonbonviveur
I can't believe that the crew don't have discretion to offer a non-catered CE passenger a free sandwich from the trolley. I know it's only an "Upgrade" and that therefore the OP was never entitled to anything free in the first place, but it still feels like naff customer service. Knowing most BA crew, if they could, they would provide it for free, so I can only assume that there has been some diktat from above that they cannot offer anything free to upgraded CE passengers.
Yes indeed, thanks for verbalising how I felt about it. For me, it was more wryly amusing, as I'm very well aware that I got a glass of champagne and a bit more space for an economy class fare, but it is really unforgivable to place your customer-facing staff in the situation of having to apologise for such policies IMHO.
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 7:04 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Current management acts like literally every penny spent over and above the absolute minimum comes from their own pockets... they can't even bear to shell out for bedding in CW to what many would call a reasonable timeframe.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 7:05 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
They should have had some Walkers shortbread and Out of Africa nuts in the canisters somewhere, but I don't think that was the point that was being made here. The BoB food is accounted for and it's a serious no-no to offer food without it being billed to the customer. In theory you don't have to accept the upgraded seat however.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 7:13 am

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR / QF LTG
Interesting from c-w-s about not having to accept the upgraded seat. I was on an IB flight, marketed as BA, and "upgraded" from my exit row seat to business. It was a little embarrassing being loudly told "we don't have a meal for you but will bring an economy snack for you". Really it was a downgrade in terms of seat and I wasn't fussed about the food as ate in the lounge.

Will try to decline future upgrades.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
They should have had some Walkers shortbread and Out of Africa nuts in the canisters somewhere, but I don't think that was the point that was being made here. The BoB food is accounted for and it's a serious no-no to offer food without it being billed to the customer. In theory you don't have to accept the upgraded seat however.
Indeed, and I was thankful for the extra space and remained mindful that my catering situation was the same as in the back food-wise and immensely improved drinks-wise. And I understand and appreciate that BA acknowledged my loyalty. The point I was trying to make was, as you surmised, more about the combination of greedy policies that result in the need to process credit card transactions for catering items in the front cabin.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold

The BoB food is accounted for and it's a serious no-no to offer food without it being billed to the customer. In theory you don't have to accept the upgraded seat however.
I guess the net cost of the sandwich to BA was probably all of 2 - so I can see just how 'serious' it would be for management to give their CSM's the authority to make the smallest of goodwill gestures as a means of ensuring that the passenger left the flight without residual thoughts as to BA's "greedy policies". Sadly, however, ....... Computer Says No

Many, many media column inches have been written in recent months about the current image of BA, within the context of aggressive cost-cutting and a more inflexible attitude in matters of service recovery. Perhaps the lack of discretion as recounted here by the OP epitomises the changed mood as neatly as anything.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 7:35 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
That is completely ridiculous. If you are upgrading someone, you offer them the same service as everyone else. Not to mention giving FA's discretion over comping the BOB, like the US carriers do.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 7:39 am

Programs: BA Silver
Given the reports on here I'd be surprised if they had a sandwich to sell you for a fiver.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smokie36
Given the reports on here I'd be surprised if they had a sandwich to sell you for a fiver.
"Passengers in Club Europe get the first choice of delicious M&S items from our BOB menu"
Old Aug 4, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
The thing about all the BoB being accounted for is interesting. On a recent flight short haul I bought a cup of tea, drank it, then later got chatting to the one of the crew while waiting for the loo. When I came out, the FA asked if I wanted another cup of tea bringing to my seat - I was a bit surprised given all I have read on here and being an infrequent SH flyer. But it came, and I wasn't charged. Is this not normal?
Old Aug 4, 2017, 7:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by TimmyD

When I came out, the FA asked if I wanted another cup of tea bringing to my seat - I was a bit surprised given all I have read on here and being an infrequent SH flyer. But it came, and I wasn't charged. Is this not normal?
Far from normal.

Clearly a most unfortunate error of judgment on the part of the well-intentioned FA - who I suspect is very likely languishing in Guantanamo Bay as we write ......
Old Aug 4, 2017, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
"Passengers in Club Europe get the first choice of delicious M&S items from our BOB menu"
It worse than you jest, for at present, pax in CE usually get the last choice.

That would certainly be a downgrade from an exit row seat.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by N1120A
That is completely ridiculous. If you are upgrading someone, you offer them the same service as everyone else. Not to mention giving FA's discretion over comping the BOB, like the US carriers do.
US carriers offer upgrades as a status perk and plan for them when catering.

BA upgrade for operational reasons and unless the need for OpUps is known well in advance won't have catering loaded. This is not new or a consequence of BoB. I have had F upgrades before with no catering. Also upgraded passengers are last in order of preference for food choices if there is catering for them.

Upgrades to CE are also rarer than WTP to CW as flexible cabin size makes need for SH upgrades less likely. I am surprised the crew didn't just say there was no CE food but a fully stocked bar and leave it at that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.