Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

"Sorry sir, we can't guarantee a well done steak"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Sorry sir, we can't guarantee a well done steak"

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2017, 6:22 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
One of my early Club World flights I asked if the beef would be cooked through as I'm not generally a fan of pink meat (having grown up with a bbq as my standard Sunday lunch!). She couldn't promise but offered to leave it in the ovens a bit longer and serve me last. It came out just right for me. And this was pre steam ovens (and when BA stilled served an amuse bouche in club!).
Old Jul 11, 2017, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Amuse Bouche is club, when was this?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:01 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Amuse Bouche is club, when was this?
2000. LHR-SIN-SYD. My first ever BA flight too. I remember giving my menu selections. Something came out before my first course like a rice ball plate. I remember it because I was surprised it was something I hadn't ordered and the FA did mention it. It wasn't served on the next meal, nor the SIN-SYD leg. I don't recall the return fight.

My next BA flight on the same route was a few months later and they had introduced the flat beds. I seem to recall a slight change in the service and no amuse bouche - or it just seemed different because of the ying-yang of the new seats and having the CSD come up to all of us facing backwards to tell us what the brace position was as the safety video hadn't been updated (or they wouldn't let us use our screens maybe?). I do recall opting for some sectors on Qantas, particularly if I was leaving out of BNE, going to SIN rather than going down to SYD as I found the food on QF more exciting than BA at that time. I'd then board BA at SIN for the bed over the nigh flight and opt for cold chicken salad for supper and the full English for breakfast. Yes, with the company paying I chose my flights based on the food I could get!!
Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I must be having a senior moment because I don't remember that.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 8:07 am
Suspended

Programs: Lowest level possible
Originally Posted by Can I help you
How funny, I thought that we guaranteed an overcooked dry steak.
Only on Trump Airlines.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 8:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Just ask for it medium rare.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You're not going to please everyone when serving steak to the masses in the air.
Luckily I'm not that bothered how it's cooked but the wife is. Whenever she orders steak on an aircraft I come out in a sweat as I know how fussy she is. Thankfully she hasn't had too 'bloody' a one on any airline.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:58 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
As a matter of interest, is the steak halal on ME flights? That's another way to achieve a grey carpet sample.

Edit: on second thoughts, maybe steak isn't even offered, perhaps some lamb carpet instead.

Last edited by Howard Long; Jul 11, 2017 at 11:04 am
Old Jul 11, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: BA Silver
I was once told by a very pleasant and chatty crew member that although they offer passengers the traditional choice of "chicken or beef", between themselves they refer to it as "feather or leather"....
Old Jul 11, 2017, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Numb3rs
Was on a LHR-YYZ WT+ flight and selected the steak and potatoes option. Mrs Numb3rs who sat beside me got the same thing.

I started eating mine was was pleased with it. Cooked well done, as all my steaks have been in the air, and was not too dry. Mrs Numb3rs was not happy with hers at all, it was bloody red. Now I know someone would love the steak in that condition.

I notified the CSM of the issue and was told. "Sorry sir, we can't guarantee a well done steak". This was due to the sizes and shapes of the steak and that is why there would be different levels of how well the steak was cooked.

Not a complaint from my side per say but just curious if ppl on the forum here agrees with the CSM or do I have a valid arguement?
Steak is never to be eaten well done. For me Medium is as cooked as I want it . Medium Rare is fine and juicy. Sorry but I am a meat gourmand and go to steak houses where they said steaks are to be done between Medium Rare and Medium. Rare for steak tartar now thats my kind of treat!!

Yesterday I had a Kobe Burger cooked medium with Fontina Cheese and Mushrooms and man was it sooooooooo delicious. I wish airlines would serve Kobe beef albeit the American Waygu beef now that is even better than your Filet Mignon in my opinion. Once i was at a boutique steakhouse and my friend ordered me the Japanese imported Kobe steak($100+) and man was that the best damn meat I have ever had. I love lamb, bison, venison as well.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wouldn't dream of eating a steak cooked anymore than medium rare, I always aim to do the same onboard but sometimes the ovens have a different idea.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 1:54 pm

I had a rare steak on EY going out but the same request coming back resulted in a well done. Alas, the latter tasted better than the former.

Always well done on BA as is the fish which copes even worse than the cow when exposed to searing temperatures for hours.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 1:55 pm

I cook bife de chorizo no less than medium to well done when we have guests as it's acceptable to everyone. Especially the women who tend to make a face when they see it rare. Here it's all about taste anyway....the more smoky and fatty the better.

The 'experts' would obviously disagree but if one should ever pipe up at one of my BBQ's they won't be invited again.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 1:59 pm

But Argentinian beef is the best in the world! Many visitors to the UK assume that what we call beef is in fact another species, not actually a cow.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Greenpen
But Argentinian beef is the best in the world! .
Well I had some sirloin steak last night for dinner and it was tough as old boots.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.