Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

'Which?' target BA for EC261 petition - please sign

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'Which?' target BA for EC261 petition - please sign

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2017, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by streetmagix
Because, rightly or wrongly, BA isn't being seen in a positive light at the moment. BoB, negative newspaper articles, long haul catering changes and the recent IT meltdown have all contributed to this. I agree that it should be one rule for all though.

Now before I make this next statement this isn't directed at anyone in particular. I don't wish to offend or libel anyone.

Those defending BA and wanting to water down/scrap EU261: do you have a vested interest in BA or the airline industry?

As a purely leisure passenger I'm firmly on the side of the consumers, Which and EU261 here. I'd even say it doesn't go far enough but that's probably deeply unpopular around here.
Two responses to this:

1) Has anyone suggested watering down EU261 or even scrapping it anywhere in this thread? Not sure I've read this myself.

2) Accusing people of vested interests is the sure fire way to turn a debate nasty. Failing to see other people's views and understand them without being able to think there's an ulterior motive is one of the great failings of our societies right now.

Just because people have a different point of view to you doesn't mean they have some ulterior motive.

I'm not a BA employee. I'm a business flyer who does a fair amount of leisure flying too. I've claimed EU261 3 times in the last 5 years and have encouraged others to claim. But I still don't think automatic payout is a good idea.

It *will* add costs to airlines and that either means reduced costs elsewhere or increased prices. Oddly enough businesses don't look at a reduced margin and go "well - that's ok then". Would it change some behaviours? yes of course it would - but only once they'd reduced costs and increased prices - and they wouldn't then set out to reverse those.

Automatic payout is also not consistent with the way the rest of our society acts. I cannot think of one single area where some travel organisation or other has been forced into automatic payment of compensation for something. (Virgin Trains being the notable travel exception where they have volunteered in very select circumstances - advanced ticket via their website or app).
Old Jul 1, 2017, 1:39 am

Programs: BAEC
Because, rightly or wrongly, BA isn't being seen in a positive light at the moment. BoB, negative newspaper articles, long haul catering changes and the recent IT meltdown have all contributed to this. I agree that it should be one rule for all though.

Now before I make this next statement this isn't directed at anyone in particular. I don't wish to offend or libel anyone.

Those defending BA and wanting to water down/scrap EU261: do you have a vested interest in BA or the airline industry?

As a purely leisure passenger I'm firmly on the side of the consumers, Which and EU261 here. I'd even say it doesn't go far enough but that's probably deeply unpopular around here.
To the extent that what I've written above can be considered a defence of BA, no I have no vested interest. I do have a firm belief that the minimum necessary regulation increases competition, reduces entry barriers and is overall better for consumer in the long run. I think that €600 is overly generous and does not actually reflect the true losses suffered by most who are delayed by a few hours. As noted above, the risk is insureable so the intervention of the state is really not required to provide protection that the market already offers for those who want it. Finally it is perverse that we tie home airlines hands behind their backs whilst non EU airlines pay only half the costs at most.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 1:51 am
Original Member

If automatic payment came in, its very likely this would go to the original payment method. I suspect a lot of business travellers would not then be happy, and also those booked via travel agents may see "admin fees" appearing that would reduce their payment.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 1:52 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
This seems to be an appropriate time to remind members that we treat each other with respect here, so the slinging of accusations of potential vested interest is inappropriate. Lest anyone is unaware, here's the rule we all agree to abide by:

12. Abusive Or Disruptive Behavior Or Content

12.1 Friendly, Respectful and Welcoming

FlyerTalk is a community and is intended to be a friendly, helpful and collegial place.

Please post in a friendly, respectful, welcoming manner. 'Snarky,' unfriendly posts will not be allowed. If you don't have something constructive to contribute to a thread, please do not post.

Unhelpful posts, such as "Do a search" or those that merely comment on the worthiness of others' posts or threads are neither friendly nor welcoming and will not be allowed. If you can't be helpful or contribute substantive content to a thread, please refrain from posting.

12.2 Avoid Getting Personal

If you have a difference of opinion with another member, challenge the idea — NOT the person. Getting personal with another member is not allowed. Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming will not be tolerated.

FlyerTalk is a diverse, multi-cultural community. Expressions of prejudice or discrimination in any form are not permitted (such as those concerning race, nationality, religious belief, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, etc).

If another member gets personal with you, do not retaliate. Retaliation may well subject you to the same discipline. Instead, please use the 'Alert a moderator to this thread' button in the lower-left-hand-corner of each post, send a note explaining your concern to the moderator team, and leave it to them to handle. Please also see Rule 22 — When you believe someone has violated the rules.

12.3 Disruptive or repetitive posting

Posts that are inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative are not allowed.

Disrupting a forum by repetitively posting comments of the same general theme or 'piling-on' by posting merely to reinforce or bump a prior post of a disruptive nature are both examples of disruptive posting and not permitted.
NWIFlyer
Moderator - BA forum
Old Jul 1, 2017, 2:01 am
Suspended

I have a vested interest in airlines maintaining safe operations, something that EU261 is not fully compatible with: Particularly with regards to crew hours.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 3:41 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
..............Finally it is perverse that we tie home airlines hands behind their backs whilst non EU airlines pay only half the costs at most.
Tab, don't you think this is a positive selling point for EU airlines? I've seen remarks here along those lines. People that fly AA west, but BA home to get the EU261 protection.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 3:43 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by simonrp84
I have a vested interest in airlines maintaining safe operations, something that EU261 is not fully compatible with: Particularly with regards to crew hours.
I have no vested interest in this, but that's quite a statement. Is there evidence of EU261 leading to unsafe operations?
Old Jul 1, 2017, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by dougzz
Tab, don't you think this is a positive selling point for EU airlines? I've seen remarks here along those lines. People that fly AA west, but BA home to get the EU261 protection.
One could spin it that way but I expect the numbers who do decide on this basis are so small that we aren't even talking about 0.1% of travellers.

Let's face it that on codeshares most people don't even know the operating carrier. BA1234 from JFK to LHR? That's a BA flight right? Uhhhh
Old Jul 1, 2017, 3:52 am

One could spin it that way but I expect the numbers who do decide on this basis are so small that we aren't even talking about 0.1% of travellers.

Let's face it that on codeshares most people don't even know the operating carrier. BA1234 from JFK to LHR? That's a BA flight right? Uhhhh
Yup, some friends of mine recently thought they were flying Finnair LHR-JFK.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 3:52 am

Programs: Varies
Signed, on behalf of passengers who are less capable than myself to proactively pursue compensation.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by ttama
Signed, on behalf of passengers who are less capable than myself to proactively pursue compensation.
Not that it matters as the petition has about as much chance of doing anything as Alex Cruz has of introducing caviar, krug and showers on BA - but sincerely thank you for trying to push up the price of flights for everyone else and binding up EU carriers in higher costs and more regulation.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 4:49 am

Not that it matters as the petition has about as much chance of doing anything as Alex Cruz has of introducing caviar, krug and showers on BA - but sincerely thank you for trying to push up the price of flights for everyone else and binding up EU carriers in higher costs and more regulation.
Rather condescending. I was recently on a cancelled SAS flight along with many other travellers and on the flight the next day the person next to me told me that he flew twice a week to Norway for work and that it was the fourth flight this year that had been cancelled. He was unaware that he was able to claim compensation. Clearly the notification process is not sufficient.

Your reliance on BA's obfuscation, lies and illegal rejection of claims for cheap flights says more about your attitude than the poster that has signed the petition. Not to worry though, you are fully aware of your rights and, I would assume, reject any attempt by BA or any other airline to compensate you given that it would increase the cost for some unknown passengers.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 5:09 am

Interesting article here about the worst offenders:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...ed-passengers/

CAA data shows the worst offender for losing cases brought to the CAA was Norwegian, followed by Vueling and Ryanair.

Emirates had an interesting twist - of the cases that were brought to the CAA, they then point blank refused to pay out 74% of the times that CAA ruled they should. United refused to pay in 42% of such cases.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 5:53 am

Wrong. Consumers should be claiming it. Only if they claim should the airline be paying.
You keep repeating this mantra but where is it stated in EC261 that this is the case.

Article 7 says "the passenger shall receive compensation". Surely if your analysis was right it would say the passenger may claim compensation.

Also Article 14 refers to every passenger affected being given a notice. So what harm could it do if airlines were required to email travellers affected - they would only be complying with legislation (which we know they often don't do now from the data points on here).
Old Jul 1, 2017, 6:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dougzz
I have no vested interest in this, but that's quite a statement. Is there evidence of EU261 leading to unsafe operations?
Some airlines pressurize their crews into using commander's discretion to avoid delay compensation (with varying success). Various friends and colleagues have experienced this themselves.
There's been plenty of complaints to unions and it's been discussed in parliament.

(edit)Note, just in case Internet Brands does a PPruNe/Etihad: I'm not saying that BA does this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.