Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

'Which?' target BA for EC261 petition - please sign

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'Which?' target BA for EC261 petition - please sign

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2017, 6:24 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
I'm with simons1 on this. If the reg says, Article 7 says, "the passenger shall receive compensation", then the airline should pay out.

Simples. It's the law.

The law has not harmed BA's/IAG's profits at all.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by simonrp84
Some airlines pressurize their crews into using commander's discretion to avoid delay compensation (with varying success). Various friends and colleagues have experienced this themselves.
There's been plenty of complaints to unions and it's been discussed in parliament.
So, no evidence? Just secondhand rumor and rumblings?

Flight crew have always been pressured into avoiding delays, etc, it's part of the job. If you look through aviation history you'll find numerous examples of accidents with this as a cause or contributing factor. I'd argue that the situation now is better than ever for the flight crews insofar as operational pressure. I doubt EU261 existing or not would play even the smallest role in making you any more or less safe statistically.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 6:39 am
Suspended

Go ask BALPA or check the parliamentary records, then.^
Old Jul 1, 2017, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by simonrp84
Some airlines pressurize their crews into using commander's discretion to avoid delay compensation (with varying success). Various friends and colleagues have experienced this themselves.
There's been plenty of complaints to unions and it's been discussed in parliament.

(edit)Note, just in case Internet Brands does a PPruNe/Etihad: I'm not saying that BA does this.:rolleyes:
So in the context of a discussion about BA and EC261 your argument is pretty empty then?
Old Jul 1, 2017, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
I'm with simons1 on this. If the reg says, Article 7 says, "the passenger shall receive compensation", then the airline should pay out.

Simples. It's the law.

The law has not harmed BA's/IAG's profits at all.
And it seems that BA is one of the airlines that is better at paying out. You just need to ask first. That does indeed seem simple to me!
Old Jul 1, 2017, 6:45 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
And it seems that BA is one of the airlines that is better at paying out. You just need to ask first. That does indeed seem simple to me!
The regulation is very clear in this regard. The passenger shall receive compensation.

They shouldn't have to request it, it should be automatic.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 6:47 am

And if you aren't aware of your rights because the airline (in breach of EC261) hasn't advised you???

Not everyone is a FT member or regular traveller.

And where does EC261 require the traveller to have to apply for the compensation?
Old Jul 1, 2017, 6:53 am
Suspended

My general view is Which? should be targeting a poor CAA and poor governments both UK and EU viz this and other aviation matters.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by secretplantofightinflation
The regulation is very clear in this regard. The passenger shall receive compensation.

The airlines also provide toilet paper in the aircraft toilets. This doesn't mean they should wipe our bottoms for us too. At some point we need to take reasonable responsibility.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 7:32 am

The airlines also provide toilet paper in the aircraft toilets. This doesn't mean they should wipe our bottoms for us too. At some point we need to take reasonable responsibility.
Personally I would say it's the party in breach of the regulations that should put things right. That is also what the wording of EC261 indicates when it says "passengers shall receive compensation" as opposed to passengers may claim compensation.

Of course there is a link between airline's profits and the amount of compensation they avoid paying, presumably that is why BA routinely rejects claims and also tried to force customers to claim duty of care payments from insurers recently until the insurer bodies embarrassed them into changing tack.

I have no issue if people are aware of their rights and decide to forego compensation. However I do have an issue if people are not made aware. My kids for example would have no idea what to do in such circumstances. Nor would my parents in their 80s. Maybe in some posters eyes 'getting away with it' is fair game, personally I don't think so.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 8:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by simons1
So in the context of a discussion about BA and EC261 your argument is pretty empty then?
Nope. Try again.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Isn't it funny when people make a well though through cohearant argument that disagrees with some people's views, they get branded as illogical. Just perhaps they have a different view to yourself.

Regulation and legislation is a balance. My personal view is that it is about right currently. The reports of BA not paying out tend to be grey areas which are created by the legislation, often that wouldn't be paid had they made it to court but paid out based on a the basis of business sense.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by secretplantofightinflation

Ok I'll give you some slack as you likely aren't a lawyer.

Read the first three words of Art. 7. What do they say? Are they mandatory? Or do they create a "right"? Who is the beneficiary of that right?
Old Jul 1, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by simons1
Personally I would say it's the party in breach of the regulations that should put things right. That is also what the wording of EC261 indicates when it says "passengers shall receive compensation" as opposed to passengers may claim compensation.

Of course there is a link between airline's profits and the amount of compensation they avoid paying, presumably that is why BA routinely rejects claims and also tried to force customers to claim duty of care payments from insurers recently until the insurer bodies embarrassed them into changing tack.

I have no issue if people are aware of their rights and decide to forego compensation. However I do have an issue if people are not made aware. My kids for example would have no idea what to do in such circumstances. Nor would my parents in their 80s. Maybe in some posters eyes 'getting away with it' is fair game, personally I don't think so.
^^^
Old Jul 1, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by HilFly
^^^
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.