Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Complimentary Status Renewal for Two Years

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Complimentary Status Renewal for Two Years

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2017, 5:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver // Miles&Smiles Elite // LATAM Pass Black
Originally Posted by KARFA
What was the basis of your request? From the dates supplied it doesn't seem you had any flights on one of the disruption days.
My basis for the request was - A number of people have indicated they were included in the 2Y extension, when they had flights around the dates that were disrupted - along with the fact I wasn't able to book and fly during the disruption.

The data point was for those wondering if they will receive the same good will gesture.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 5:13 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WorldWideWolfie
My basis for the request was - A number of people have indicated they were included in the 2Y extension, when they had flights around the dates that were disrupted - along with the fact I wasn't able to book and fly during the disruption.

The data point was for those wondering if they will receive the same good will gesture.
If I hadn't been flying on the days where there was disruption I am not sure I would have the balls to request anything.

Where were you looking to book to and fly to during the 2/3 days of disruption?I think the booking system came back up late Saturday so was only down from about 9am-6pm.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 5:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver // Miles&Smiles Elite // LATAM Pass Black
Originally Posted by KARFA
If I hadn't been flying on the days where there was disruption I am not sure I would have the balls to request anything.

Where were you looking to book to and fly to during the 2/3 days of disruption?I think the booking system came back up late Saturday so was only down from about 9am-6pm.
I obviously do.

Yes, I regularly fly last minute and wasn't able to on Saturday, which caused a change of plans.

Either way, the answer was no, and the information above should be useful to someone.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club
Mrs Oxtail’s membership year end is 8th October.

Last year she only managed 1100TPs. I’ve just checked her account and it would appear she has retained Gold as her Gold pack was pending and fulfilled on the 14th and 15th of October.

Data points:-
She has been Gold for quite a while.. over 7 or 8 years.
She had no travel over the power outage fiasco.
She does have three First class BA forward bookings in MMB, the first of which is this Friday.

I think she is just lucky. Like being married to me I guess
Old Oct 18, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CR
Originally Posted by WorldWideWolfie
I obviously do.

Yes, I regularly fly last minute and wasn't able to on Saturday, which caused a change of plans.

Either way, the answer was no, and the information above should be useful to someone.
im genuinely not trying to be rude, but you flew on days that were not part of the disruption, and weren't delayed and asked for the extension to apply?

i flew on days that were part of the disruption, and was not delayed. Got the extension, but don't think I'm entitled to it - moot anyway based on usual travels.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CR
Originally Posted by oxtailsoup
Mrs Oxtail’s membership year end is 8th October.

Last year she only managed 1100TPs. I’ve just checked her account and it would appear she has retained Gold as her Gold pack was pending and fulfilled on the 14th and 15th of October.

Data points:-
She has been Gold for quite a while.. over 7 or 8 years.
She had no travel over the power outage fiasco.
She does have three First class BA forward bookings in MMB, the first of which is this Friday.

I think she is just lucky. Like being married to me I guess
im sure Mrs OX, the same as Mrs PabloL don't realise how lucky they are......
Old Oct 19, 2017, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by exmachina
Anyone else who went up in status this year seeing similar honoring of the extension at the new level?
I was Bronze when I got the extension email back in May. I am now Gold, and my year ended on 8th October. My Gold expiry date shows as 30 Nov 2020. When I upgraded to Silver in the middle of the year, I had the same expiry date. So yeah, it seems if you manage to upgrade during the membership year in which the extension was applied, they'll keep you in your shiny new tier for a full additional two years. ^^

I suppose it makes sense. I can't even wrap my head around how they would honor two extra years of Bronze for me following two status jumps. Assuming I'd not flown for the next few years, I'd have gold until 2018, I'd soft-land to Silver until 2019, then soft-land to Bronze for... well it'd have to be three years to get the full benefit of the two-year extension plus my soft-landing year, so 2022. And, if I flew, and dropped to Silver in 2018, but then maintained that level for 10 years without moving up or down, what would happen? I'd soft-land to Bronze in 2028 and then get that card until 2031? And this could go on indefinitely in any number of permutations. What if I soft-landed to Bronze, but then got a Silver card again within the course of that year? Etc. Etc. I don't even know how they would maintain the systems required to work out all those transactional nosebleeds. Or, indeed, maintain the staff long enough to remember that eons ago they promised two extra years of tier status.

So I guess, by honoring the two-year bump for whatever you end up in by the end of your membership year, they'll have cleared off everyone, no matter what, by, I guess, May 2021?
Old Nov 29, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Having just regained Silver last week, it is now valid until March 2021 so very pleased!

I had almost re qualified for Bronze at the time of disruption and the Bronze expiry changed from Mar 2018 to Mar 2020 (which made sense - 2 years). Not sure why the Silver is to 2021 as when i re qualified as Bronze it stayed at 2020.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 11:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I can't see any mention of my CCR card being renewed / extended until 2020.
My GGL card, shown in my BAEC, does say Jan 2020 though and has been fulfilled, so I should be getting that soon to tell for sure.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by gliderpilot
Having just regained Silver last week, it is now valid until March 2021 so very pleased!

I had almost re qualified for Bronze at the time of disruption and the Bronze expiry changed from Mar 2018 to Mar 2020 (which made sense - 2 years). Not sure why the Silver is to 2021 as when i re qualified as Bronze it stayed at 2020.
Did you have to do anything for your tier expiration to move to 2021?

I've just gotten to silver retention, and received the 2 year extension email earlier this year. However, my expiration date on silver currently shows 30 April 2020 with my collection year ending 8 March 2018.

Since I received the 2 year extension back in June and hit my silver retention, shouldn't I have silver till 30 April 2021? Or is my math totally off? Has anyone gone through this?

Thanks!

Last edited by Uwhuskygirl; Dec 17, 2017 at 8:59 am Reason: Typo
Old Dec 17, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
Originally Posted by Uwhuskygirl
Did you have to do anything for your tier expiration to move to 2021?

I've just gotten to silver retention, and received the 2 year extension email earlier this year. However, my expiration date on silver currently shows 30 April 2020 with my collection year ending 8 March 2018.

Since I received the 2 year extension back in June and hit my silver retention, shouldn't I have silver till 30 April 2021? Or is my math totally off? Has anyone gone through this?

Thanks!
2020 makes sense. I requalified for GGL shortly after the 2 year extension through IT failure, and emailed to double check but was told that the 2 year extension is not on top after requalification. Fair enough, gift horse and all that... My GGL expires in end of 2019, but depending on year cycle, most are either 2019 or 2020 it seems like...
Old Dec 17, 2017, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by LondonCanuck

2020 makes sense. I requalified for GGL shortly after the 2 year extension through IT failure, and emailed to double check but was told that the 2 year extension is not on top after requalification. Fair enough, gift horse and all that... My GGL expires in end of 2019, but depending on year cycle, most are either 2019 or 2020 it seems like...
Thanks for the explanation!

I've already booked all of my 2018 work travel and I know I'll have enough TP to retain silver again next year. However, given the status extension doesn't stack on requalification it doesn't seem like it matters till 2019 about collecting TP to retain silver? (Fwiw, I'm not terribly fussed on getting to gold)

Last edited by Uwhuskygirl; Dec 17, 2017 at 9:36 am Reason: Typo
Old Dec 18, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by gliderpilot

I have exactly the same situation as you - and now I wonder how it works going forward? If we retain next year, will they then extend Silver to 2022? Or will it now be valid until 2021 no matter what we do until then? And, more importantly, what will happen if we achieve Gold next year (which may be a possibility for me)?

I am very pleased about the silver until 2021, but I do wonder what the case is if we go up to the next tier before 2020? As in I would be slightly confused if I made Gold in 2018 or 2019 and then that was to "expire" in 2019/2020 despite my tier below that being valid until 2021.

Thinking about it logically I would assume they will either match the 2021 for whatever we do going forward, or (more likely in my opinion) they will just keep rolling this forward until we "missed three years".
E.g.
Retain Silver in 2018 - card extended to 2022
Not retained in 2019 - card stays valid until 2022
Get Gold in 2020 - card extended until 2023
etc etc etc
until we have "missed" enough years of the highest status in which case we will be in line again with everyone that was not impacted in May 2017

What's everyone else's view on this or has there even been an official communication on this?

Thanks
Old Dec 18, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
The official communication is that you will have silver until 2021 (your current date), and it doesn’t matter if you requalify as silver or not. If you requalify, it will still be 2021. If you qualify for Gold, you will get gold for one year, and then “drop” back to silver until 2021.

However, I have had a friend in this scenario whose gold card now says 2021... and I also have a friend who got it, but only valid for a year then back to “long silver”, so really depends on what computer says...

The official communication from BA is that your tier at “IT debacle” is what you will be extended as... Computer may make another decision, but that is your base line....
Old Dec 18, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by LondonCanuck
The official communication is that you will have silver until 2021 (your current date), and it doesn’t matter if you requalify as silver or not. If you requalify, it will still be 2021. If you qualify for Gold, you will get gold for one year, and then “drop” back to silver until 2021.

However, I have had a friend in this scenario whose gold card now says 2021... and I also have a friend who got it, but only valid for a year then back to “long silver”, so really depends on what computer says...

The official communication from BA is that your tier at “IT debacle” is what you will be extended as... Computer may make another decision, but that is your base line....
I think that is more likely, otherwise it would be very complicated to administrate. The best best is to get Gold before the end of the earning year and then that would stay valid until 2021 I believe (I have no chance as my year ends in Feb). Can't complain, very happy til 2021 even though I will likely regain Silver legitimately next year. Still not sure why some are to 2020 and some to 2021 though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.