Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is photo ID currently needed for domestic flights? (BAEC card not deemed enough)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is photo ID currently needed for domestic flights? (BAEC card not deemed enough)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2017, 1:32 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
I would take passport AND driving licence as a matter of course.

Driving licence is always in my wallet anyway (even at my age I get ID in bars in the US for example) and I simply have never trusted the notion that I don't have to show my passport at an airport.

Maybe it's because I have done so many many more international than domestic flights. Not that I don't believe all the other posters here. Simply that in the grand scheme of things 1) It's a tiny document which weighs nothing and 2) I have no problem with passport checks at airports as there are clearly these days bad people intent on doing bad things there and I'm not one of them.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 2:34 am

Programs: BA GGL
You should always take a passport for this reason: if your flight is delayed to the point it's cancelled and you want to exit the airport from airside, it's not so easy without ID (as you're probably in a melting pot of international travellers). This happened to me once, without passport, and had to pull out the driving licence.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 4:41 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Deleted

Last edited by hsmall; Aug 26, 2017 at 4:55 am
Old Aug 26, 2017, 7:02 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Originally Posted by Gagravarr
I'm starting to think that the Domestics request for Photo ID is just for me!

About an hour ago I once more tried to check a suitcase in T5 in the First checkin area, for a domestic flight, handing over only my BAEC (GGL!) card. After finding my booking, and printing the luggage tag, the checkin agent then asked for photo ID. I pointed out that the website said that a BAEC card is enough, he counted that "it had changed yesterday" and refused to tag the bag until I handed a driving license or passport over.

I had too many liquids in the suitcase to take it carry-on only, so I didn't want to just take it back + walk off, as I'd have to ditch more than I'd want to at security. After a bit of back and forth on what the website said, I had to hand over a driving license to get my bag tagged

So, unless things really did change yesterday, I fear the T5 First staff just don't like me...
Maybe it's your name, that matches the name of another person who has caused suspicion in the past for whatever reason, and they want to check that you're not him?
Old Aug 26, 2017, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BAAZ
Maybe it's your name, that matches the name of another person who has caused suspicion in the past for whatever reason, and they want to check that you're not him?
“Sorry Mr Oslama Bin Ladden, we really need to see ID ...”
“Foiled again!”

Old Aug 26, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
I came back into the country via Newhaven a few weeks ago and was pulled over for the best part of an hour - at the end of it the "same name as a wanted man" was the explanation given by the agent.

Which is strange as I'd never come across another Abercrombie Fitch before*

* This story is actually true, but the person whose name they actually matched was my passenger that day, who has a very common name.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 4:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by BAAZ
If so, I apparently only have a "London dodgy" name then - no issues yesterday at Edinburgh dropping off the same suitcase on the return leg with only my BAEC card, and no issues a couple of months ago at MAN on a one-way back to London
Old Sep 1, 2017, 1:02 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Another data point.

I was dropping bags for BHD at T5 the other day. I had my passport (the only photo ID I have unless you count my TfL card) out and it was waved away with "We don't bother with that."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.