Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Should Alex Cruz step down or be replaced? [FT poll]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Should Alex Cruz (BA's Chief Executive and Chairman) step down or be replaced?
Yes
93.91%
No
6.09%
Voters: 936. You may not vote on this poll

Should Alex Cruz step down or be replaced? [FT poll]

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2017, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
I wish I could share some of the posts on our internal forum, people are not holding back on the feelings about Alec Cruz.
Is the forum open to all BA staff, i.e. can he view it (if he chooses to look)?
Old May 29, 2017, 3:49 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by icegirl
James officially leaves his post as CEO for Etihad on the 1st July by which I can’t see how IAG or its shareholders would still want Alex in charge, especially as the IT fiasco rumored to be running into hundreds of millions of pounds and very low support from employees and customers. JH, on the other hand, has built perhaps one of the finest and successful premium airlines in the sky. The only problem I see is if he would ever accept this challenge and if Willie Walsh would ever approach him.
Why would a company want to replace a CEO who keeps it profitable with one who was removed because he caused multi billion losses? The fact that Etihad Apartment & Etihad Residence was introduced during his stint there does not really mean anything - any European airline could have introduced something similar if there was paid demand (or alleged subsidies from the government).
Old May 29, 2017, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Oh yes we can all see it, there also a thread where our Worlwide senior manager is being severely reprimanded for defending Mr Cruz, it's getting very nasty but our managerment have withdrawn to their bunker.
Old May 29, 2017, 3:54 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
Originally Posted by stargold
The same James Hogan who is widely credited as being the "mastermind" behind all of the billions Etihad "invested" in failing second rate airlines (i.e. poured down the drain), which has necessitated cost cuts of an unprecedented scale and resulted in staff morale at an all-time low due to people getting sacked left, right and centre?
All I can add to this is look through the Etihad thread here and the increasing volume of complaints about the declining levels of service - BA are in a big enough mess without them needing to make things even worse
Old May 29, 2017, 3:56 am

Programs: BA Bronze
I think the general consensus here is that Willie (the skinhead) Walsh is calling the shots, AC being his finger puppet - I'll leave that one to the imagination.
In reality you are going to have someone blamed for the seemingly brittle IT safeguards as this has been a major fail.
It won't be the skinhead with the bovver boots <after all he isn't anything to do with the running of BA > I hope it will be AC - his appearances on twitter etc are a totally unbelievable fail and show just how out of touch he is.
Hopefully lessons will be learned and BA can move into a new era of knowing when to stop shaving costs as customer satisfaction and staff morale are at breaking point- in fact these may already be broken.
Old May 29, 2017, 3:58 am

The DM article spins it as 'this has happened because an inexperienced Spaniard cuts high skilled British IT jobs, replacing them with cheap poorly skilled foreigners' Regardless of the (de)merits of Mr Cruz, and of the validity of criticism of poor management, that's a pretty clear dog whistle...

As for whether Mr Cruz goes or not, I suspect it will depend on the long term damage to BA's reputation. The headlines certainly aren't pretty.

I just feel very sorry for those BA staff on the ground who are doing their utmost to help when faced by tens of thousands of tired, fed up, and angry passengers.
Old May 29, 2017, 4:00 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

A poll has been added to gauge opinions on whether (or not) now is the time for Alex Cruz to step down or be replaced.

The poll will run for 5 days and individual votes will be displayed for all to read.

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
Old May 29, 2017, 4:12 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Prospero
A poll has been added to gauge opinions on whether (or not) now is the time for Alex Cruz to step down or be replaced.

The poll will run for 5 days and individual votes will be displayed for all to read.

Prospero
Perhaps you should add another poll for Willie!
Old May 29, 2017, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Good idea.
Old May 29, 2017, 4:16 am

Prospero
Good idea, although if possible could the thread title be amended to reflect the poll question?
Old May 29, 2017, 4:16 am

Prospero
Perhaps the thread title should be updated to reflect that question (should AC go) rather than should James Hogan replace him.

Hogan's reputation is in tatters and I don't think many investors are lining up to hire him.

[Edit: Great minds, FP ]
Old May 29, 2017, 4:32 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Not looking good for Mr Cruz here is it? Less popular than Jeremy Corbyn and Diane Abbott.
Old May 29, 2017, 4:32 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by missdimeaner
I think the general consensus here is that Willie (the skinhead) Walsh is calling the shots, AC being his finger puppet - I'll leave that one to the imagination.
In reality you are going to have someone blamed for the seemingly brittle IT safeguards as this has been a major fail.
It won't be the skinhead with the bovver boots <after all he isn't anything to do with the running of BA > I hope it will be AC - his appearances on twitter etc are a totally unbelievable fail and show just how out of touch he is.
Hopefully lessons will be learned and BA can move into a new era of knowing when to stop shaving costs as customer satisfaction and staff morale are at breaking point- in fact these may already be broken.
Agreed - the senior management team at BA/IAG is more than one person, and scapegoating one particular individual isn't going to result in the sort of changes that some here are hoping it will.

More wholesale change is needed.
Old May 29, 2017, 4:33 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Cool

At this stage, I am a 'floating voter', and perhaps the option of 'Don't Know' should be added?

I would prefer to wait for some "facts" to be produced before making my decision.

However, I know that many in the other poll that seems to be going on in the UK at the moment may not be bothered too much by facts when they are deciding how to vote.

On balance, and while I would prefer to know some facts, the results of the last few days, largely irrespective of the cause, and as a cumulative result of bad press, adverse customer feedback and staff disengagement, mean that he should seriously be considering his position.
Old May 29, 2017, 4:37 am

There needs to be a 'please feed to the dogs in north korea' option. I'm sure he could make Air Koryo profitable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.