Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Should Alex Cruz step down or be replaced? [FT poll]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Should Alex Cruz (BA's Chief Executive and Chairman) step down or be replaced?
Yes
93.91%
No
6.09%
Voters: 936. You may not vote on this poll

Should Alex Cruz step down or be replaced? [FT poll]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2017, 2:25 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Calchas
This is a neoconservative perspective. Some would say the job of the CEO is to balance (and resist as necessary) the interests of the shareholders with those of other stakeholders, including customers and employees, in order to promote the long term growth of the company. This view was echoed in Friday's Financial Times.

Missed that story - can you post a link?
Old Jun 14, 2017, 2:41 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Calchas
This is a neoconservative perspective. Some would say the job of the CEO is to balance (and resist as necessary) the interests of the shareholders with those of other stakeholders, including customers and employees, in order to promote the long term growth of the company. This view was echoed in Friday's Financial Times.
I'm unconvinced this perspective is a purely political one, but agree that it isn't necessarily the correct one.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dambus
Missed that story - can you post a link?
It was, as I remember, the Big Read in the physical paper.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 7:02 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
A CEO needs to look after Customer, Employee, and Owner in that order to maximise value for the shareholder.

That's why they are called CEO.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 4:55 pm

Programs: BAEC
Are any of you attending the AGM?
Old Jun 14, 2017, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by Southlondonbonviveur
The results are damning. Has there ever been a less popular CEO of BA , or any major airline for that matter?
Without doubt Jeff Smisek.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 11:45 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by worldtrav
Without doubt Jeff Smisek.
Wins by a country mile

Originally Posted by simons1
I'm delighted the FT is echoing you. Clearly there is no limit to the influence that FlyerTalk has these days.

Of course stakeholder management is part of it, but ultimately the CEO will be judged on performance and share price. If the share price of BA collapsed relative to peers the shareholders would not sit contentedly because the CEO is a nice chap who looks after his staff.
Indeed. One doesn't have to agree with this to see it is the ultimate metric for how CEOs/MDs are judged. Not always, but very very often. Boards aren't blind, they know when CEOs are doing poor jobs, but if they are delivering on the numbers markets care about you're asking for trouble if you sack a CEO because they are an ... and don't care about customer sat and employee morale. Even Smisek only got the boot when he got caught doing something legally inappropriate, even if there would have been a case in many ways for booting him out long before.

It sucks, especially when you work on innovation, or customer experience, or want to make employees' lives easier. I've had the good luck to work for a leader who kept an innovation hub going through a very difficult period of restructuring. This is a really difficult decision to make, no less because such work is deeply unpopular when there are cuts happening all around. That kind of management is rare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.