Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Should Alex Cruz step down or be replaced? [FT poll]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Should Alex Cruz (BA's Chief Executive and Chairman) step down or be replaced?
Yes
93.91%
No
6.09%
Voters: 936. You may not vote on this poll

Should Alex Cruz step down or be replaced? [FT poll]

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2017, 3:30 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
I'm a massive fan of Christoph Mueller.

He is brilliant at turning airlines around, aslong as he is left to do the job and others don't interfere (MH).

M
Old May 28, 2017, 3:55 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Looking at the share price of IAG, it seems to be doing well - pretty much at its highest point since 2011
Let's see what the share price does tomorrow or Tuesday They may have a feel for the financial dent of the IT 'glitch' by then. The reputational effect in their image may take a while to fix too. BA has been taking a pounding in the press and TV again today.

I take it Willie is on holiday or hiding in a bunker somewhere.

I wonder whether BA will be holding a summer sale once this is all over - something good has got to come out of this, hasn't it?
Old May 28, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
I also wondered where the IAG CEO has been - no comment that I have seen.
Old May 28, 2017, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Betteronacamel
I wonder whether BA will be holding a summer sale once this is all over - something good has got to come out of this, hasn't it?
I have been thinking the same, once the dust has settled...a massive sale.
Old May 28, 2017, 4:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

No chance.
His current and previous employers are state owned airlines.
Old May 28, 2017, 5:03 pm
Suspended

I think the load is getting heavier for AC. Dumb cuts and problems like this weekend, continued bad press, not all his fault, may end up with his head on the block.

That said, I would say Hogan doesn't fit the IAG mold, and while he has done a good job creating premium products (Ansett, Gulf Air, Etihad) I don't think he has ever had financial success. As much as one can criticize WW and AC, they have done an excellent job running the financial side of the business, managing costs, etc.

Who would replace AC?

David Cush is an interesting choice with his long AA experience.

I think Simon Talling-Smith, former EVP and chairman of the AA/BA alliance, now CEO of Surf Air Europe would be an interesting choice - lot's of experience on the commercial side, but also formerly head of the onboard product so he has a pretty good understanding of smart cuts vs. dumb cuts.
Old May 28, 2017, 7:52 pm

What Hogan did with Etihad and Alitalia/AirBerlin, will never be forgotten in the industry. everyone knew Hogan will be "stepping down" from EY after the mess he made. I don't think what he did with Gulf air will be enough to ignore this. I never liked Cruz and never will, but Hogan won't be any better.
Old May 28, 2017, 8:31 pm

Programs: QF GA NZ WN. Accor+ Bonvoy IHC
Three years ago everyone in Australia (esp QF staff) thought Alan Joyce was the anti-Christ and QF had its fair share of massive stuff ups too. Today he's hailed as a National Hero and most QF staff have smiles. The airline industry is a treacherous beast. This too will pass...
Old May 28, 2017, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by Skyrocker
What Hogan did with Etihad and Alitalia/AirBerlin, will never be forgotten in the industry. everyone knew Hogan will be "stepping down" from EY after the mess he made. I don't think what he did with Gulf air will be enough to ignore this. I never liked Cruz and never will, but Hogan won't be any better.
but do you think the AirBerlin would be in a better place if not for the TXL/BER fiasco?
Old May 28, 2017, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
I have been thinking the same, once the dust has settled...a massive sale.
hopefully. BA is the best perk of sticking with the AA scheme, believe it or not.
Old May 28, 2017, 9:32 pm

Programs: QR Privilege Club Platinum, EK Skywards Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Anyone who invests hundreds of millions of dollars in Alitalia cannot be taken seriously. Out here in the UAE Hogan's reputation is irrepairably damaged as Etihad tries to extract itself from the mess he created.
Old May 29, 2017, 12:12 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
I suspect AC may make a suitable scapegoat to appease the major shareholders. I wonder how much his golden parachute will be?
Old May 29, 2017, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by stargold
The same James Hogan who is widely credited as being the "mastermind" behind all of the billions Etihad "invested" in failing second rate airlines (i.e. poured down the drain), which has necessitated cost cuts of an unprecedented scale and resulted in staff morale at an all-time low due to people getting sacked left, right and centre?
Indeed.
Old May 29, 2017, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by Worcester
I suspect AC may make a suitable scapegoat to appease the major shareholders. I wonder how much his golden parachute will be?
Yes, if he has been fulfilling his brief then he might need to be compensated if he is asked to leave.
Old May 29, 2017, 1:01 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Indeed.
Although far from an expert on EY, anyone thinking of investing in AZ must raise some doubts regarding judgement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.