Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Should Alex Cruz step down or be replaced? [FT poll]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Should Alex Cruz (BA's Chief Executive and Chairman) step down or be replaced?
Yes
93.91%
No
6.09%
Voters: 936. You may not vote on this poll

Should Alex Cruz step down or be replaced? [FT poll]

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Just like I wouldn't comment or speculate about Troy's departure, I won't vote here. I have a policy of not having formal opinions on things where I don't know the facts first hand. I don't know what the board make Cruz and Walsh do, and whether or not they are managing the way they would like if they had actual ownership control.
Old May 29, 2017, 12:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Neither was - or rather is - Sir Roderick Eddington AO. Ditto Whitney Straight CBE, DFC, MC, and Barbara Cassani CBE. Of all the lines of argument available on this topic, and given that Alex Cruz can fairly call himself a Londoner, I'm always very much unpersuaded by that one.
CWS ... but would you agree that the British Brand has been destroyed?
Old May 29, 2017, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
No. Impossible.

The share was down 2.78%, ca. €400m, i.e. ca. £350m so the market obviously except a slightly bigger fall out to BA than the reported £150m estimated liability. In comparison, the exchange fell only 0.13%.
The share price doesn't fall by the amount the shareholders think it will cost.

Market cap ≠ operating profit
Old May 29, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Spire Elite Ambassador, HH Diamond, Avis President’s Club
BA has a full monopoly at Heathrow and are somewhat competing at other UK airports as a low cost... the planes are almost always full and they are making billions a year in profit.

He will stay and they will continue to cut and profits will increase.

When he does resign is when shareholders should worry, that will be when the profits are dropping.

The days when BA cared about their images, passengers and staff are long gone and won't be coming back with him here or not
Old May 29, 2017, 12:41 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by deboyzoned
CWS ... but would you agree that the British Brand has been destroyed?
Put as starkly as that? No. The brand is fortunately far stronger than that. Has it taken a massive hit in the last few days? Certainly so. All the efforts put into the First Wing, career breaks, HBO seating, restored First elements, lounge investments have been submerged by what has happened this weekend.

But I've been around long enough to remember (e.g. and I have a long list!) the opening of T5. That was far, far worse than this, and the brand recovered. In fact T5 is for me a key plank in the brand, but it certainly wasn't so on Day1 or even Day14
Old May 29, 2017, 12:48 pm

Put as starkly as that? No. The brand is fortunately far stronger than that. Has it taken a massive hit in the last few days? Certainly so. All the efforts put into the First Wing, career breaks, HBO seating, restored First elements, lounge investments have been submerged by what has happened this weekend.

But I've been around long enough to remember (e.g. and I have a long list!) the opening of T5. That was far, far worse than this, and the brand recovered. In fact T5 is for me a key plank in the brand, but it certainly wasn't so on Day1 or even Day14
Agreed. In fact I think BoB has done more to hit the brand than this - as BoB has really put BA in the same bracket in the minds of customers as FR and U2. (I'm not saying BoB is the wrong decision btw - it's hard to tell at this stage.)

What this weekend has done is fit and reinforce the narrative that both customers and press had already drafted, namely that BA is getting worse.. and worse.
Old May 29, 2017, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
The share price doesn't fall by the amount the shareholders think it will cost.

Market cap ≠ operating profit
Eh no, however, cash out equals value out of business. That subsequently comes out of market cap.

The rest is an adjustment to value in the business.
Old May 29, 2017, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express

Your knowledge appreciated. 😊. The efforts of BA ground staff and crew staff have helped BA get through this.

However I personally feel that a fair bit of damage has been done by AC and WW to the Brand. And that they should now go.

My personal opinion.
Old May 29, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bealine
FT knows I'm no management toady, but I will stand by Alex Cruz in this case. Why? Because Alex is doing exactly the job the IAG Board and the Shareholders expect him to do (in fact, the cuts probably aren't yet deep enough or coming quickly enough for IAG's liking).
I'm afraid I can't agree with this. Having been at LHR yesterday caught up in it all the communication were worse than useless. The fact that Cruz only stood up so late on the day to say anything is an outrage. The fact that he chose to do it in a high-vis vest has been subject to ridicule. Within a couple of hours of problems becoming apparent there should have been a commitment to hourly updates with progress being made and options available to customers. @corporate-wage-slave did a far better job for customers yesterday than BA Executive Management did.

Originally Posted by bealine
Replace Alex Cruz and we could end up with someone far, far worse.
This, unfortunately, I agree with.

Last edited by LondonAndy; May 29, 2017 at 1:10 pm Reason: Can't spell "with"!
Old May 29, 2017, 12:58 pm

Funny story regarding Cruz. I was speaking to a Spanish friend today about the problems at BA, and we discussed airlines in general. I said that I've flown very few LCCs and he said that Ryanair isn't so bad, Easyjet isn't great but at least it's not Vueling (which he considers bottom of the pile). He has a long-haul trip on BA coming up so his heart sank when I told him that the CEO of BA used to be the CEO of Vueling.
Old May 29, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by ComputerCommuter
93% of FTers say resign. Can you imagine what the result would be if the general passenger population were to vote right now ?!
Most of them wouldn't know who he is.
Old May 29, 2017, 1:18 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by paul4040
... or care.
Old May 29, 2017, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by paul4040
Most British passengers that have glanced at any main news online / TV / newspaper over the last three days will know exactly who he is
Old May 29, 2017, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
I wonder if the forum mods or ambassadors will vote ? = ) It seems most of them have not!
Originally Posted by T8191
Sensibly standing aside, and letting the baying hordes call for blood?
I'm right in there with the pack
Old May 29, 2017, 1:32 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Calchas
I'm right in there with the pack
Except you Calchas = )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.