Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA and Doha

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2017, 7:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by s1362083
Is there more to it than airspace restriction and travel between the affected countries?
An awful lot more, this is a full diplomatic break that we're seeing with expulsion of citizens, not just diplomats, citizens. See here for background.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Yes, does not at all sound 'normal'. Give me QR J catering over BA CW any day of the week and twice on Sunday

I have never walked off a QR aircraft not totally stuffed.
Agreed, Some serious amount of food is offered compared to BA, tastes amazing too.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:13 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by s1362083
I assumed not at all given that the LHR-DOH flight path doesn't seem to enter the restricted airspace (KSA, UAE etc). Is there more to it than airspace restriction and travel between the affected countries?
If I understood correctly, it is only Qatar airlines flights that are banned from entering the airspace, not other carriers flying there. On the bbc it says "Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Bahrain and Egypt all said they would stop flights in and out of Qatar, and close their airspace to the country's airline, Qatar Airways." which could been seen that other airlines flying to Qatar aren't affected by the airspace ban. If anyone could clarify?

source http://www.bbc.com/news/business-40156029
Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: BA
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...-qatar-airways

In the comments:
@lucky – I have just received a security directive from UAE GCAA advising that any foreign operator who chooses to operate to Qatar after 06JUN17 should consider their UAE landing and overflight permits revoked and will require special permission to subsequently operate in UAE airspace.

Effectively, they are also now forcing foreign airlines to choose between flying to Qatar or flying to the UAE.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by My_head_is_spinning
I'd imagine it might be good news for the direct BA services elsewhere in the Middle East.
I have to try and persuade QR to reroute me back to AUH from Moscow on Friday. Hopefully through LHR with BA.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kungpo
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...-qatar-airways

In the comments:
@lucky – I have just received a security directive from UAE GCAA advising that any foreign operator who chooses to operate to Qatar after 06JUN17 should consider their UAE landing and overflight permits revoked and will require special permission to subsequently operate in UAE airspace.

Effectively, they are also now forcing foreign airlines to choose between flying to Qatar or flying to the UAE.
It says later in the comments section from the same poster :

the original directive is in Arabic and the translations I have received are slightly varied on that point. The more reliable one seems to say “all non-UAE registered airline companies flying to/from Qatar overflying through UAE airspace must contact xxxx on the following details prior to flight”.

Last edited by englisha; Jun 5, 2017 at 8:30 am
Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Given the previous moderation warning on this thread, we should restrict the discussion to the effect on BA, those wishing to discuss the effect on QR can do so on the trending thread on the QR forum found here or more generally in the TravelBuzz thread here.

I will wait out to see if the BBC's information is incorrect, but according to their article, BA are planning to continue a full service.

Last edited by navylad; Jun 5, 2017 at 10:46 am Reason: Add in new TravelBuzz thread
Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

hmmmm, so the question is whether BA will choose to continue serving Doha, or all the other countries. The sound move would be to drop Doha, but with QR's shareholding in BA, I wonder what Willie will do?
Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:41 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by hfly
hmmmm, so the question is whether BA will choose to continue serving Doha, or all the other countries. The sound move would be to drop Doha, but with QR's shareholding in BA, I wonder what Willie will do?
DXB / AUH is the bigger market but can't imagine BA's flights to DXB and AUH are *that* high margin anymore given the competition, as borne out by e.g. F routinely being available for £1.5-2k. There's also the recently agreed QR codeshare to consider in addition to the shareholding. Will definitely be interesting.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 11:36 am
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
I have a flight from CAI-DOH-LHR. Not until July

I called them and they said I could fly direct from CAI-LHR on BA if I wanted, but would not offer me an alternative Qatar airways destination to route via DOH on.

I will wait it out and see if this changes.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 12:13 pm

It's lucky the BA flight is now direct. The previous BAH-DOH tag would no longer be able to operate...

OBBB A0204/17 06JUN0000-PERM
NO FLT WILL BE ALLOWED FM KINGDOM OF BAHRAIN TO STATE OF
QATAR AND FM STATE OF QATAR TO KINGDOM OF BAHRAIN.
SFC / UNL
Old Jun 6, 2017, 2:10 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Will BA benefit or lose as a result of Qatar ban

Do you think that BA will gain financially as a result of passengers re-routing through them and what are the chances that QR may want to sell it share in IAG if the situation starts to really bite financially
Old Jun 6, 2017, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Wow some big thoughts there! Most likely it'll simmer out in the next few days and this will be forgotten
Old Jun 6, 2017, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by PJSMITH0
Do you think that BA will gain financially as a result of passengers re-routing through them and what are the chances that QR may want to sell it share in IAG if the situation starts to really bite financially
Re-routing from where to where? I thought it was only regional flights (UAE, Saudi etc) affected and presumably anyone wanting to fly from Dubai to Doha will now go via Kuwait or Muscat.

The Qataris have deep pockets (hence the $1bn paid in hostage money) and I doubt they need to sell BA shares in the foreseeable future.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 3:59 am

I have managed to get rerouted with BA on the LHR-RUH flight instead of LHR-DOH-RUH. One thing that is confusing is the baggage allowance, Would a BAEC silver member get 2x30kg allowance as QR allowance in Y is 30kg, or the normal BA Y allowance 2x23kg?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.