Wiki Posts
Search

Buy On Board Linkedin post

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2017, 3:59 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by missdimeaner
I don't think that payment by cash is only related to 'old ladies' - in fact both my Mother ( in her 80's) and I are both capable and possess cards that could be used for payments.
In my experience 'old men' are more intransigent and less likely to change ( my step father is an ideal example).
Regardless of age, gender or Uncle Tom Cobbly, there will always be a percentage of the population that won't be up to speed on things like this.
My now 90 year old father is armed with a credit card, debit card and internet banking!
Old May 6, 2017, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
It seems a solution has been noted by layz, give the person next to you the cash and let them pay using a card.

There are increasingly many places you can directly use cash to pay these days. London buses and tube being a good example.
My brother in law recently came to stay after a domestic flight into LHR with the story of buying Katie Price a drink on BOB, but because she didn't want to get to the overhead from her seat to get her purse. As the flight landed early and there was no sign of their drivers, she returned the favour and bought him a coffee after the flight. This was before CE was introduced on DOM. I'm still not sure I believe him.
Old May 6, 2017, 4:10 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Really? Are there many examples you can think of where if you can't pay you still get the service? Must try that next time I go shopping
Maybe she booked the flight at a travel agent, in cash, and expected dear old BA to be the same dear old BA that she usually has complimentary coffee and wasn't told about BoB?

Or to turn your point round, the airline has not provided the service level that SuperGran has paid for...
Old May 6, 2017, 4:15 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
Maybe she booked the flight at a travel agent, in cash, and expected dear old BA to be the same dear old BA that she usually has complimentary coffee and wasn't told about BoB?

Or to turn your point round, the airline has not provided the service level that SuperGran has paid for...
Where is the advertising or product description which says free food and drink in ET? The airline has provided exactly the service level it has shown on the booking.

EDIT: just to add, you and I may not like it and may prefer how it used to be, but the new regime it isn't some secret.
Old May 6, 2017, 4:23 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
My now 90 year old father is armed with a credit card, debit card and internet banking!
^.
Old May 6, 2017, 4:24 am

Where is the advertising or product description which says free food and drink in ET? The airline has provided exactly the service level it has shown on the booking.

EDIT: just to add, you and I may not like it and may prefer how it used to be, but the new regime it isn't some secret.
There are still people flying on tickets bought prior to the announcement of BOB, where onboard food/drinks were included in the ticket (let's not get into the 'complimentary' discussion).
Old May 6, 2017, 4:25 am

I loathe Bob but comping someone who has no acceptable form of payment would be a nightmare for BA and cc.

Would it apply to old people only? What about children? And people from cash-common countries? What about bankrupts?

And how soon would word get around that to get a free drink you just need to wave cash and look bewildered? Given that gaming airlines is akin to sport these days, any leeway would get abused like crazy I'm sure.
Old May 6, 2017, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd
There are still people flying on tickets bought prior to the announcement of BOB, where onboard food/drinks were included in the ticket (let's not get into the 'complimentary' discussion).
You could get your flight refunded or 1000 avios when the change was announced.
Old May 6, 2017, 4:27 am

Exactly. Outside of the FT bubble, people aren't aware of the change in standards.
Yes, the Daily Mail covered it, but thankfully not everyone reads that rag.
Old May 6, 2017, 4:28 am

Exactly.
As noted, for those booked before (I have about 15 affected bookings) you could cancel and get a refund or 1000 avios per flight.
Old May 6, 2017, 4:29 am

Programs: BA Gold
Never mind the technicalities of payment methods, awareness of these etc - the fact that an old dear has had her coffee whipped away from her just looks bloody mean.

It's not the image BA wants to portray, I'm sure.
Old May 6, 2017, 4:32 am

As noted, for those booked before (I have about 15 affected bookings) you could cancel and get a refund or 1000 avios per flight.
Not very handy when you find this out for the first time at 36,000 feet though.
Old May 6, 2017, 4:35 am

Not very handy when you find this out for the first time at 36,000 feet though.
It has been well advertised, emails have also gone out (although I am sure someone will claim because she is an elderly lady she couldn't possibly have email ).
Old May 6, 2017, 4:35 am

BA's bulldogs are out today

In any case, excellent flight last night LHR-ZRH on LX - crew who were enjoying themselves, and liberal with the beers. Just what you want on a Friday night returning home after a tough week of work, and extra food rations handed out after initial service, which is common of the final sectors of the evening. A little bit of service goes a long way ^
Old May 6, 2017, 4:36 am

BA's bulldogs are out today

In any case, excellent flight last night LHR-ZRH on LX - crew who were enjoying themselves, and liberal with the beers. Just what you want on a Friday night returning home after a tough week of work, and extra food rations handed out after initial service, which is common of the final sectors of the evening. A little bit of service goes a long way ^
Indeed there are other options if one doesn't like the BoB. You are assuming I like it and want to defend it, which I don't and have not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.