FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Buy On Board Linkedin post (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1840809-buy-board-linkedin-post.html)

martmonk May 5, 2017 7:32 am

Buy On Board Linkedin post

Couldn't find a specific BoB thread to add this into. Feel free to move if appropriate.

I was on Linkedin today and came across this interesting post;

"Guess the airline... (the answer may surprise you)
An elderly lady was served a coffee...
Stewardess: We only take cards.
(After asking stewardess to repeat what she was saying due to hearing)
Elderly lady: I don't have a card - I can pay in Euro's or pounds.
Stewardess to other stewardess: She can't pay. Do I ask for the coffee back?
Other Stewardess: Yes - absolutely - get it back off her. She can't pay for it.
(I paid before they asked the poor lady for the coffee back...)
Stewardess to me: Thank you for stepping in. If we don't charge, it comes off our wages..."

We all know the airline!

ahmetdouas May 5, 2017 7:53 am

Originally Posted by martmonk (Post 28271544)
Couldn't find a specific BoB thread to add this into. Feel free to move if appropriate.

I was on Linkedin today and came across this interesting post;

"Guess the airline... (the answer may surprise you)
An elderly lady was served a coffee...
Stewardess: We only take cards.
(After asking stewardess to repeat what she was saying due to hearing)
Elderly lady: I don't have a card - I can pay in Euro's or pounds.
Stewardess to other stewardess: She can't pay. Do I ask for the coffee back?
Other Stewardess: Yes - absolutely - get it back off her. She can't pay for it.
(I paid before they asked the poor lady for the coffee back...)
Stewardess to me: Thank you for stepping in. If we don't charge, it comes off our wages..."

We all know the airline!

lol i hope the person who paid sends BA an invoice. BA probably wouldn't pay, but just to make the point across.

KARFA May 5, 2017 7:57 am

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas (Post 28271626)
lol i hope the person who paid sends BA an invoice. BA probably wouldn't pay, but just to make the point across.

Why? If you paid for a drink for someone on U2 or FR would you send them the bill too?

ahmetdouas May 5, 2017 8:03 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 28271641)
Why? If you paid for a drink for someone on U2 or FR would you send them the bill too?

In FR or U2 the person wouldn't have needed to pay for the elderly woman as they take cash so this situation wouldn't have happened at all.

Have you gone to Tesco's and they told you sorry, only cards no cash?

nux May 5, 2017 8:05 am

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas (Post 28271668)
In FR or U2 the person wouldn't have needed to pay for the elderly woman as they take cash so this situation wouldn't have happened at all.

Still don't understand your logic. Wouldn't you send the invoice to who consumed the product, rather than the company that provided it? :confused:
If the passenger realised they didn't have any form of currency or card on FR/U2 and you paid, would you send an invoice to FR/U2? :confused:

missdimeaner May 5, 2017 8:07 am

BA aren't alone in not taking cash - AA is card only (if I am remembering correctly).

KARFA May 5, 2017 8:07 am

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas (Post 28271668)

FR and U2 only take certain currencies. There is plenty of possibility not to have a valid payment method on those airlines too. Are you offering to pay for anyone who is sat next to you and hasn't got a valid payment method in future on any airline?

KARFA May 5, 2017 8:08 am

Originally Posted by missdimeaner (Post 28271682)
BA aren't alone in not taking cash - AA is card only (if I am remembering correctly).

No problem, just sit next to ahmetdouas on your next AA flight and he will pay for whatever you want ;)

Soupey202 May 5, 2017 8:21 am

Ok, I can understand taking back a pre-packaged item but surely once a coffee has been filled with hot water even taking it back would leave them short of payment for one item since it couldn't go back in to stock? I suppose another customer in a nearby row may purchase it but there is no guarantee of that.

ahmetdouas May 5, 2017 8:22 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 28271686)
No problem, just sit next to ahmetdouas on your next AA flight and he will pay for whatever you want ;)

The USA is more developed than the EU, come on guys = )

ahmetdouas May 5, 2017 8:23 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 28271683)
FR and U2 only take certain currencies. There is plenty of possibility not to have a valid payment method on those airlines too. Are you offering to pay for anyone who is sat next to you and hasn't got a valid payment method in future on any airline?

If it's a granny or grandpa then yes (someone over 60 let's say who doesn't seem very knowledgable), or if its a kid who simply doesn't have a bank account. If its a DYKWIA then no!

KARFA May 5, 2017 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Soupey202 (Post 28271744)
Ok, I can understand taking back a pre-packaged item but surely once a coffee has been filled with hot water even taking it back would leave them short of payment for one item since it couldn't go back in to stock? I suppose another customer in a nearby row may purchase it but there is no guarantee of that.

I agree, seems it may be better they check before serving as it clearly is more awkward asking for the item back.

The SCCM does make an announcement just after take off which should make clear what forms of payment are accepted. The announcement does also say they don't accept cash so passengers should be aware of that.

MADPhil May 5, 2017 8:25 am

Originally Posted by missdimeaner (Post 28271682)

But coffee and soft drinks are free.

ahmetdouas May 5, 2017 8:25 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 28271762)
I agree, seems it may be better they check before serving as it clearly is more awkward asking for the item back.

The SCCM does make an announcement just after take off which should make clear what forms of payment are accepted. The announcement does also say they don't accept cash so passengers should be aware of that.

Yes I've heard them say that but it really isn't loud and I'm sure many people wouldn't have heard it.
Perhaps Capital Letters at the front of your seat?

CHECK OUT OUR M&S BOB MENU. NO CASH, I REPEAT, NO CASH IN ANY SHAPE OR FORM.

HIDDY May 5, 2017 8:27 am

A little old deaf lady story....it's enough to bring tears to a glass eye.