Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy On Board Linkedin post

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2017, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by martmonk
Stewardess to other stewardess: She can't pay. Do I ask for the coffee back?
Other Stewardess: Yes - absolutely - get it back off her. She can't pay for it.
(I paid before they asked the poor lady for the coffee back...)
Stewardess to me: Thank you for stepping in. If we don't charge, it comes off our wages..."

We all know the airline!
So if they had taken it back they re sell it to someone else to keep the books balanced??
Old May 5, 2017, 5:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
It seems a solution has been noted by layz, give the person next to you the cash and let them pay using a card.

There are increasingly many places you can directly use cash to pay these days. London buses and tube being a good example.
I think there may be another solution. If non payment comes out of the cabin crew's wages then they could just pocket the cash from the punter without a card.
Old May 5, 2017, 8:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BAflyer90
In the US almost all flights I've been on recently (AA, UA, DL) make it clear that they accept card only. They never seem to have a problem with passengers trying to pay cash, but the US is much more advanced than the UK is in phasing out cash payments.
On AA, DL and UA water, coffee, tea, milk, juices and sodas are free and often there is comp pretzels or something small - so quite unlike BA.
Old May 5, 2017, 8:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HIDDY
A little old deaf lady story....it's enough to bring tears to a glass eye.
Actually you have to be a real low life to think some little old lady having her coffee taken back is funny.

The pathetic part - aside from your comment - is the FA telling his/her colleague to take back the coffee. We all know fraud by senior citizen trying get free coffees by not having charge cards is a big problem.

To Fly, To Charge
Old May 6, 2017, 12:45 am

Programs: BA Bronze
No problem, just sit next to ahmetdouas on your next AA flight and he will pay for whatever you want
Ha! I'm not ready to be called an elderly lady yet (even if I do collect my bus pass this year ).
Old May 6, 2017, 12:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Actually you have to be a real low life to think some little old lady having her coffee taken back is funny.

The pathetic part - aside from your comment - is the FA telling his/her colleague to take back the coffee. We all know fraud by senior citizen trying get free coffees by not having charge cards is a big problem.

To Fly, To Charge
Then again how did she manage to get a flight without a payment card as I didn't think you could just pay cash for a flight and board.

Secondly, I don't see what the CC has done in checking with his/her colleague with the correct process in such a situation. At the end of the day, you don't pay you don't get, simple.
Old May 6, 2017, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by icegirl
Then again how did she manage to get a flight without a payment card as I didn't think you could just pay cash for a flight and board.
You certainly can. Many ticket desks at airports (especially main hubs) will accept cash. Also many (all?) high street travel agents will also accept cash payments for flights.
Old May 6, 2017, 2:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Southlondonbonviveur
Why don't BA instruct crew to take payment first before providing the food/drink? That would avoid a scenario such as that described by the OP.
Yes, it kind of works like that: On most (but not all) flights I've been on, the following process is adopted: You have two staff on the trolley, one operating the TourPOS and the other assembling the drinks. Tea and coffee require several things to be assembled (cups, milk, sugar, cap, the clear beaker, serviette, stir stick), so usually the transaction can be lined up on the POS, and then the POS is ready to process the card at about the same time as the drink is ready to serve. So generally speaking the customer hands over the card and the crew then hand over the drink in a swap manœuvre. In that circumstance this incident would not have happened: the drink isn't given over until after the customer has at least shown their card.

What sometimes happens is that given that TourPOS is so clunky the operating crew member is still processing the previous customer's transaction, and so the refreshments crew member takes it on his/herself to sort out the next customer to make use of the time.

Incidentally I don't think drinks handed out for without charge by accident are taken off wages, that would be illegal under the Truck Act. However it would dent commission in a minuscule way, and clearly there would be a potentially serious staff issue if sales and stock levels (belonging to a third party) were out of kilter.
Old May 6, 2017, 2:28 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Secondly, I don't see what the CC has done in checking with his/her colleague with the correct process in such a situation. At the end of the day, you don't pay you don't get, simple.
Or somebody else bought the ticket for her.
Old May 6, 2017, 2:54 am
Suspended

First of all, she was willing to pay - she just didn't have a cc.

Awful -- I would never want to see your mother or grandmother treated this way over a cup of coffee.

It also reflects on management that the staff either don;t have the discretion to do the nice thing or if they do, they haven't been trained about it.

Last edited by elitetraveler; May 6, 2017 at 3:02 am
Old May 6, 2017, 3:03 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Awful -- I would never want to see your mother or grandmother treated this way over a cup of coffee.

It also reflects on management that the staff either don;t have the discretion to do the nice thing or if they do, they haven't been trained about it.
Really? Are there many examples you can think of where if you can't pay you still get the service? Must try that next time I go shopping
Old May 6, 2017, 3:29 am
Suspended

Really? Are there many examples you can think of where if you can't pay you still get the service? Must try that next time I go shopping
She paid for a ticket to get on an enclosed tube. She didn't go into some store looking for freebies. Chalk and cheese -

But so you have the facts as presented: An old lady - with money - willing to pay is on an airplane and the airline doesn't take the form of payment she has - the FAs don't feel they have the discretion to comp her the coffee already passed to her.
Old May 6, 2017, 3:33 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
She paid for a ticket to get on an enclosed tube. She didn't go into some store looking for freebies. Chalk and cheese -

But so you have the facts as presented: An old lady - with money - willing to pay is on an airplane and the airline doesn't take the form of payment she has - the FAs don't feel they have the discretion to comp her the coffee already passed to her.
And what's your point? Name another situation where if you don't have a valid payment menthod you will just get your stuff for free. Also why is there an assumption because she is an old lady somehow she would be incapable of having card payment methods or Apple Pay or a BAEC account to pay, or unable to understand the PA or read the menu where it states what the valid payment methods are?
Old May 6, 2017, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by Mixbury
The USA is the only developed country I feel I have to carry cash in, the only place I have to resort to che(que/ck)s, and where it takes 2 days for an electronic transfer.
+1

The USA is about 10 years behind in all aspects of banking and payment systems.
Old May 6, 2017, 3:47 am

Programs: BA Bronze
I don't think that payment by cash is only related to 'old ladies' - in fact both my Mother ( in her 80's) and I are both capable and possess cards that could be used for payments.
In my experience 'old men' are more intransigent and less likely to change ( my step father is an ideal example).
Regardless of age, gender or Uncle Tom Cobbly, there will always be a percentage of the population that won't be up to speed on things like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.