Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Handling of laptop/tablet ban

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Insuring a laptop in checked-in baggage is fairly easy; indeed the company for whom I work has an insurance policy that covers this as a matter of routine. What is an issue is the theft of a laptop with sensitive information saved on the hard drive. It's an inconvenience but there are plenty of work-arounds. Doc. Copper
Old May 2, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold; IHG Plat
Originally Posted by helen91
I'm going to be travelling from Istanbul to New York next month on BA. I have a laptop, phone and Bose headphones. I'd like to remove the hard disk from the laptop and carry it with me in hand luggage and collect my laptop during a three hour layover at Heathrow.

Will BA let me do that? Will I be able to take the headphones with me or do will I need to check those in too? To take the laptop out I'll need to carry a small screwdriver which I suppose I can put in the checked luggage since if I don't get my laptop I won't need the screwdriver.
Purely on the short-checking - I asked on the BA Twitter feed regarding this based solely on these issues and they were quite adamant that it wasn't allowed. Then again, their Twitter guys, in my experience, have generally always been terrible with misinformation and/or patronising. I fully intend to call CS to check because it looks like I'll have to book a couple of itineraries involving such arrangements in the near future and would like a solid answer.
Old May 2, 2017, 4:52 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by arnie.
Purely on the short-checking - I asked on the BA Twitter feed regarding this based solely on these issues and they were quite adamant that it wasn't allowed. Then again, their Twitter guys, in my experience, have generally always been terrible with misinformation and/or patronising. I fully intend to call CS to check because it looks like I'll have to book a couple of itineraries involving such arrangements in the near future and would like a solid answer.
It does make some itineraries more attractive that force a short check (change of airport, overnight layover for example). I was quite surprised I had to ask the question about whether BA would cover a laptop that is checked considering it is excluded within the CoC rather than being told up-front, and even then the operative had to put me on hold to check as 'they hadn't been asked that yet'.
Old May 10, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
I have no idea how reliable the source is but

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2017/05/10/u-s-to-ban-laptops-in-all-cabins-of-flights-from-europe

*sorry can't put a proper link in from my phone
Old May 10, 2017, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
I have no idea how reliable the source is but

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...ts-from-europe

*sorry can't put a proper link in from my phone
Reuters is also reporting it as likely.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 4:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Hi all. Now that the US has released new guidelines that will likely see most laptop bans removed (certainly, if the origin airport/airline follow certain additional security measures like Abu Dhabi and Dubai have), does anyone seen any news about a potential change to British rules?
As a previously almost exclusive BA flyer, I haven't flown BA since the introduction of the laptop ban as my flights are usually Beirut-USA via LHR, and there's no way I'm traveling 20+ hours without a laptop or iPad to get my work done...
Old Jul 8, 2017, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by mouch
Hi all. Now that the US has released new guidelines that will likely see most laptop bans removed (certainly, if the origin airport/airline follow certain additional security measures like Abu Dhabi and Dubai have), does anyone seen any news about a potential change to British rules?...
My question as well. Since the UK merely fell in line with copycat restrictions, without providing any rational justification, will they now copy the US administration and withdraw these restrictions?

I am booked to fly CAI-LHR-USA (all on BA) in a few weeks' time and wonder whether there is any chance of these resrictions being wthdrawn? If not, could I ask for the CAILHR portion of my trip to be endorsed to another carrier without such restrictions (e.g. CAI-LH-FRA-BA-LHR-BA-SFO) withut any fees, since my ticket was purchased looong ago, before such restrictions erupted on the scene.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 9:25 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Any thoughts on BA's approach on a laptop if you have a HBO ticket from IST to LHR
Old Jul 10, 2017, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Ban still on ?

Might go on BA from CAI-LHR...

Is the laptop ban still on?
Old Jul 10, 2017, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
It is indeed.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
I'm hoping that the ban is lifted before 23rd August as I'm flying CAI-LHR and really don't wana have to fly out to CAI without my iPad!
Old Jul 11, 2017, 3:28 pm

Programs: A3 Gold
Reports of UK laptop ban being reviewed?

Have there been any reports of any of the airports where both US/UK have/had laptop bans being reviewed by the UK? The route I'm most interested in personally is CAI-LHR, but I'd be interested if any of them are being reviewed (I guess IST is the most major on the UK list - I wonder if that's going to change anytime soon?).

In terms of the US ban, according to an Egyptian news summary I read a US delegation is visiting CAI this week:
A delegation from the US is set to arrive this week to inspect Egypt’s airports to decide whether to lift the ban on laptops and other devices onboard flights to the US, Civil Aviation Minister Sherif Fathy tells Al Mal.
http://enterprise.press/issues/2017/...tracking-today
Hopefully the UK follows suit soon. Given the scrutiny British officials give to the at-gate security in CAI before BA flights it seems strange that any ban has been needed. In terms of passenger / hand luggage checking it's more thorough than any flights on the opposite route (LHR-CAI) that I've experienced.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 4:07 am

Programs: AA EXP (2 MM)
US Cairo ban lifted...

...as of Wednesday, July 12. As far as I know, the UK ban is still active.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 4:11 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by screwedbyaa
...as of Wednesday, July 12. As far as I know, the UK ban is still active.
Thanks for the info ^
Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:28 am

Programs: BA Gold
From a very reliable source the ban is about to be lifted from Istanbul

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.