Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK- MAN, BA route takeover from AA?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by Blueboys999
Thanks for that very good spot although today is not the best day for me to be reminded of my allegiance.

Duly corrected!
Old Aug 16, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: Some
Believe (per the AA forum) that AA just announced JFK-MAN is being dropped from next year. Scope for BA or even LEVEL to pick it up? Seems unwise to abandon it and let the new VS route succeed.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Believe (per the AA forum) that AA just announced JFK-MAN is being dropped from next year. Scope for BA or even LEVEL to pick it up? Seems unwise to abandon it and let the new VS route succeed.
I think this is just further evidence that a stand-alone regional route like that doesn't work, especially without any form of shorthaul network to help feed traffic. Sad, but true...
Old Aug 16, 2017, 10:14 am

Programs: GGL
Originally Posted by DrBernardo
I think this is just further evidence that a stand-alone regional route like that doesn't work, especially without any form of shorthaul network to help feed traffic. Sad, but true...
It is also reported that AA are moving a significant amount of transatlantic capacity from JFK to PHL as it saves them money. They want to focus PHL as their connections hub.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by DrBernardo
It's not true.

UA and VS/DL both serve MAN from NYC with no real feed at the MAN end. As of course do EK, EY, QR, CX etc from their respective hubs.

Also it's not a 'standalone' route for AA - they have a hub at JFK. But the competition have bigger hubs.

The fact that AA have dropped it is not necessarily indicative of it 'not working' (that may or may not be so), but rather that they think they can more profit from other routes.
Calchas likes this.

Last edited by Ldnn1; Aug 16, 2017 at 10:26 am
Old Aug 16, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: EasyJet Flight Club
Was there not a rumour a while ago that BA were looking to restart the JFK service (I have also heard the same about dropping LGW-JFK)...

Regarding Level, I understand the next base is likely to be Rome - so I think that is more unlikely.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
It's not true.

UA and VS/DL both serve MAN from NYC with no real feed at the MAN end. As of course do EK, EY, QR, CX etc from their respective hubs.

Also it's not a 'standalone' route for AA - they have a hub at JFK. But the competition have bigger hubs.

The fact that AA have dropped it is not necessarily indicative of it 'not working' (that may or may not be so), but rather that they think they can more profit from other routes.

While UA doesn't have shorthaul feed at MAN - VS kinda do with BE.
BUT.. they both have hubs at EWR (UA) and JFK (DL) to help feed the route.

AA don't have much of a hub at JFK and are actually reducing flights there...and nothing at the MAN end.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by ANstar
While UA doesn't have shorthaul feed at MAN - VS kinda do with BE.
BUT.. they both have hubs at EWR (UA) and JFK (DL) to help feed the route.

AA don't have much of a hub at JFK and are actually reducing flights there...and nothing at the MAN end.
Think you're mostly agreeing with me then.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Various hotel things
IAG/BA should place an order for 50 or so C-series and start a European network from Manchester. Also add a Cardiff-Heathrow flight.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, SkyMiles Gold, Mucci deux fois
Originally Posted by TheLeisureFlyer
IAG/BA should place an order for 50 or so C-series and start a European network from Manchester. Also add a Cardiff-Heathrow flight.
A flybe franchise agreement would reduce their exposure to risk and the remnants of the old BA network is already there.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I never like to see routes discontinued from MAN but AA having ORD, PHL & JFK has always seemed over the top so no real surprise. During my time they have dropped BOS & MIA while JFK has come, gone and reappeared.

Both PHL & ORD have much better onward AA connections so if something had to go JFK makes sense. I can't see any good reason for BA to take it up again.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:20 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Thomas Cook do MAN-JFK on an A330-300. No J, but their Y+ and Y is supposed to be very good - better than a ...... 757.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:31 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
It looks like AA is doing quite some reshuffling for their JFK operations as they want to move ZRH-JFK to PHL and open PHL-PRG/BUD. PHL really makes more sense for connections than JFK!
Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Thomas Cook do MAN-JFK on an A330-300. No J, but their Y+ and Y is supposed to be very good - better than a ...... 757.
VS do too but with J, UA also fly directly to EWR
Old Aug 20, 2017, 3:21 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Well it's definitely happening:

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...route-20170820

As of 25 March 2018 New York JFK – Manchester 1 daily seasonal 757 service cancelled.

Also Chicago O’Hare – Manchester eff 24MAR18 787-8 replaces 767 in S17, 1 daily.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.