JFK- MAN, BA route takeover from AA?

Old Mar 31, 2017, 8:01 am
Original Poster

JFK- MAN, BA route takeover from AA?

it seems AA have pulled most all non-stop Business milesaver awards [which can be booked for this route with BA avios] as well as changing from a 767 to 757, 28 to 16 cabin, and lie flat to angled seat...

I could only find 2 seats in total, may-october. most business aa milesaver were being pushed to BA flights thru LHR.

on checking further ahead, all AA non stop awards JFK-MAN, in any class, stop Oct 28/29 2017. the calendar is literally blank after that date.

a while back, it was rumoured here that BA will take over the MAN-JFK route.

is this the date? IT problems? or has the route gone seasonal?

apologies if Ive missed this info elsewhere

thanks!
Old Mar 31, 2017, 11:40 am

BA could do well with the 788 at MAN. JFK, Orlando, Dubai.....
Old Mar 31, 2017, 11:55 am

Or perhaps even LEVEL...
Old Mar 31, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, SkyMiles Gold, Mucci deux fois
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Or perhaps even LEVEL...
...and go head to head with Thomas Cook?
I think LEVEL would be an error of epic proportions ex-MAN as that corner is covered by an established, and liked, competitor.
The AA brand is badly tarnished out of MAN.
It's no wonder you can get cheap J tickets to Obscureville and elsewhere with them currently.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by dr benway
it seems AA have pulled most all non-stop Business milesaver awards [which can be booked for this route with BA avios] as well as changing from a 767 to 757, 28 to 16 cabin, and lie flat to angled seat...
Almost all AA's international 757s are lie-flat (I think it is two left to be converted now) and son they all will be.

The 767 is 1-2-1 all-aisle access, whereas the 757 is 2-2, but the difference is not as bad as you make out.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

checking regular bookings, looks like no AA flights at all MAN - JFK after Oct 29 2017

If BA is replacing AA, it doesnt show up yet.

"Almost all AA's international 757s are lie-flat "

thought the new 757 seat was angled flat? and no IFE or tablets on MAN route-- just overhead video?

original thread here

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...se-2017-a.html
Old Mar 31, 2017, 1:18 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

VS will be serving JFK from MAN - but only 3 or 4 days a week. The other 3/4 days will be ATL.

Currently - the winter 2017 season will see some days with no MAN-JFK service at all, for the first time in many years.

There is still the UA EWR service.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 5:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Diamond, IHG Diamond
Don't know why BA don't resume a proper service out of MAN again. They could've experimented with the 767s they got rid of last year. Very low risk as they've got all the infrastructure in place and had capacity to do it at the time.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 9:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Without knowing the intentions of either carrier, I just don't see BA resuming this service nor any significant benefit for passengers. Easy to forget that a small minority travel in premium cabins so it would largely be a case of 'can you spot the difference' for most.

For me the loss of MCE and the requirement to transfer terminals at JFK if I am flying further on in the US would be significant negatives.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 12:19 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Given BA pulled the MAN>JFK route quite a few years ago, would be surprised to see them back on it. Was a nice route on the B767 (took it once, enjoyed the 2x3x2 WT cabin, especially with nobody beside me!)
I don't think a JFK rotation with a B788 would work as the aircraft would have to be cycled through LHR for maintenance and rather then schedule random MAN>LHR rotations, carriers tend to prefer to cycle aircraft through the outstation in these circumstances. EWR is only B789's I think, and I don't think an F cabin would be required on that route (I maybe wrong!)
Lastly, as noted above, AA benefited from a same Terminal transfer and obviously couldn't make it work, so not sure BA could get the transfer pax to make it viable if people have to transfer terminals.

Pilot37
Old Apr 1, 2017, 12:51 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by PrimaVista
...and go head to head with Thomas Cook?
I think LEVEL would be an error of epic proportions ex-MAN as that corner is covered by an established, and liked, competitor.
The AA brand is badly tarnished out of MAN.
It's no wonder you can get cheap J tickets to Obscureville and elsewhere with them currently.
TC liked? Not sure how that stands up from reading elsewhere with regard to the introduction of their A330 'airtanker' flights.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 12:55 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Pilot37
Given BA pulled the MAN>JFK route quite a few years ago, would be surprised to see them back on it. Was a nice route on the B767 (took it once, enjoyed the 2x3x2 WT cabin, especially with nobody beside me!)
I don't think a JFK rotation with a B788 would work as the aircraft would have to be cycled through LHR for maintenance and rather then schedule random MAN>LHR rotations, carriers tend to prefer to cycle aircraft through the outstation in these circumstances. EWR is only B789's I think, and I don't think an F cabin would be required on that route (I maybe wrong!)
Lastly, as noted above, AA benefited from a same Terminal transfer and obviously couldn't make it work, so not sure BA could get the transfer pax to make it viable if people have to transfer terminals.

Pilot37
From planning previous visits to JFK I decided to go via LHR rather than direct. The deciding factor was the cost. I recall it being around 150 more expensive in Y. May have considered it if it had been the same price. I am sure there are others too who went indirect because of the cost saving. Also for those who may have more choice because of where they live, i.e. between the two airports then I'm sure many would rather go to LHR for the cost saving.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 1:12 am
In Memoriam

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
With BA testing the water with a handful of European flights out of Manchester, this wouldn't be a total shock.

If you can charge more for a direct fare from Manchester and reduce capacity of connecting flights between Manchester and London then this may not be far fetched.

Although a few years off, the plans to rebuild Terminal 1 apparently include US pre-clearance too.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by Blueboys999
Without knowing the intentions of either carrier, I just don't see BA resuming this service nor any significant benefit for passengers. Easy to forget that a small minority travel in premium cabins so it would largely be a case of 'can you spot the difference' for most.

For me the loss of MCE and the requirement to transfer terminals at JFK if I am flying further on in the US would be significant negatives.
Gwaldys St or Gwladys St?
Old Apr 1, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by HilFly
Gwaldys St or Gwladys St?
Thanks for that very good spot although today is not the best day for me to be reminded of my allegiance.

Duly corrected!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.