Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Personal View

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2017, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
PUCCI GALORE used to regularly get in touch with me by PM to tell me all the galley gossip. However since I rejected her offer of a free week in her caravan at Bognor she's ignored me.
Damn you. Made me convulse so loudly that I split half a cup of tea over my lap.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 3:08 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by louie-m
I don't normally get involved in threads like this, but do you not think you've overstepped the mark there? Only the poster can know whether he intended to be humorous and he has already confirmed that he did (post 83).
The poster can say what he likes but it still has the same effect on the OP's post. It is still a put-down IMHO. And one that certainly came across as dismissive. Just because the poster said it was a joke does not make it an appropriate response to a sincere post.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 3:16 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by simons1
Damn you. Made me convulse so loudly that I split half a cup of tea over my lap.
Hope you've not got white trousers on...
Old Apr 1, 2017, 3:19 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
The poster can say what he likes but it still has the same effect on the OP's post. It is still a put-down IMHO. And one that certainly came across as dismissive. Just because the poster said it was a joke does not make it an appropriate response to a sincere post.
It came across as dismissive to you.

It came across as a joke to most other people.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 3:21 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by DYKWIA

Yet no smilie.

More pertinently, how did it come across to the OP?

It is a device often used online to shut down discussion by inserting a put-down to an OP.

Last edited by itsmeitisss; Apr 1, 2017 at 3:32 am
Old Apr 1, 2017, 3:59 am

Hope you've not got white trousers on...
Sadly not
Old Apr 1, 2017, 4:01 am

Yet no smilie.

It is a device often used online to shut down discussion by inserting a put-down to an OP.
Well the OP has been back since and didn't comment. Or are you feeling offended on his/her behalf?
Old Apr 1, 2017, 4:18 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by rocketship87
Ultimately, if you allow anonymous forum comments to affect your mental health, the internet may not be the place for you.
This is, in my humble professional opinion, demonstrating a lack of understanding of mental health. I appreciate the sentiment that you feel that I may be weak for allowing abusive comments to affect me, but the reality is whilst you have other things going on in your life, such as the death of relative and facing your own mortality yourself, a snide comment may only be a little thing, but can have a disproportional effect on that individual. This shouldn't then mean that you wrap anyone who is facing the most common reason for morbidity in the world in cotton wool (we would very soon run out of world supplies) as lack of engagement in society can have an even greater detriment. When physical health prevents engagement in the physical world, such as when you are in hospital, the internet can provide a vital conduit.

Originally Posted by HilFly
I'm sad that you have characterized those who were trying to give you some helpful, realistic advice as "cyber bullies" and "rotten apples", and that you have referred to them as having "poor character".

I am one of the first to speak out against snark, and against those who "pile in" on posters, but I am not seeing that happen here.
Helpful, realistic advice is most welcome but these are not the posts to which I refer; abusive nonconstructive posts that are thankfully subsequently removed by the moderators and abusive PMs that have lead to moderators having to take action such as giving individuals warnings and period bans from this forum are not. I'd say sorry if you've not noticed them personally, thankfully others have and the moderators took appropriate action but actually the fact that you haven't noticed any abusive posts is either a reflection that they are being auctioned relatively quickly prior to you accessing the threads or that you are unable to view the posts with the objectivity that moderators seam able ot do so. Irrespective, my post was not aimed at pointing the finger at any individual on here, I'm not immature and not here to hold a grudge, I posted to invite people to self-reflect, as I have done, on how their posts are perceived by others. It is clear from this forum alone that they're are many people who feel that self-reflection would be appropriate, and lets hope this will then return to a productive friendly forum.

Last edited by navylad; Apr 1, 2017 at 4:48 am
Old Apr 1, 2017, 4:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by HMPS
What an incisive and wisdom filled post. I read both sides but cringe when I see personal attacks including writing styles or even choices of emphasizing particulr words or phrases etc.
Thanks.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 4:42 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by simons1
Well the OP has been back since and didn't comment. Or are you feeling offended on his/her behalf?
Yet no smilie.

Folks, I think perhaps we are at a stage where we should move on from the intentions of the OP and just make up our own minds. The meta discussion is becoming too big a diversion from the core subject of the thread.

Thanks.

/mod
Old Apr 1, 2017, 4:47 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
A microcosm

Soooo....

A thoughtful and reflective OP, plenty of witty, engaging and constructive debate, some 'luvvie-banter', a few throwaway-comment interruptions that may raise half a smile when posted occasionally but tiresome when overdone, an OP where every phrase is picked apart and challenged with a forensic zeal, some hyper-hyperbole, some faux-outrage, some ill-judged and inappropriate comments that had to be removed by the mods, some posts that just relentlessly chisel away at the character of the forum and the posters who do actually make the effort to post helpful and informative stuff, some pointless bickering, and a moderator advisory.

Business as usual then ?

Old Apr 1, 2017, 4:53 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Soooo....

A thoughtful and reflective OP, plenty of witty, engaging and constructive debate, some 'luvvie-banter', a few throwaway-comment interruptions that may raise half a smile when posted occasionally but tiresome when overdone, an OP where every phrase is picked apart and challenged with a forensic zeal, some hyper-hyperbole, some faux-outrage, some ill-judged and inappropriate comments that had to be removed by the mods, some posts that just relentlessly chisel away at the character of the forum and the posters who do actually make the effort to post helpful and informative stuff, some pointless bickering, and a moderator advisory.

Business as usual then ?

You, Sir, know these hallowed threads far too well
Old Apr 1, 2017, 5:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
This board has been incredibly informative and useful for me (and many friends/colleagues who benefit third hand from my relayed tips!). From Tesco CC & Amex Avios collection and 2-for-1 voucher trips to ex-EU jaunts, TP runs and now increasingly deals on J leisure flying with other OW carriers.

For me there's no getting away from the fact BA is changing and many of the changes are removing aspects of service that some have been accustomed to. If it bothers you - try another OW airline or further afield. If it doesn't - carry on as normal. I have a balanced view of BA - I value my Gold status & domestic trips (despite the loss of my G&T). I am enjoying trying out other carriers for leisure business long haul but much of that has been helped by the excellent advice and guidance on here (thanks!)

Whilst I understand and agree with the OP I must say the last few threads I've seen I have been surprised by the vehement rejection of an individual's negative experience. I don't think the problems are just with a small number of BA detractors to be honest but with a general intransigence and refusal to accept other viewpoints demonstrated by some who are fervently 'pro BA'.

Mods do a great, often thankless, job - overall a bit more balance and allowing/appreciateing an alternative perspective would be good to help them do their job and keep this a positive place to visit and learn!

Last edited by DocS; Apr 1, 2017 at 5:55 am Reason: Spelling
Old Apr 1, 2017, 6:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Folks, I think perhaps we are at a stage where we should move on from the intentions of the OP and just make up our own minds. The meta discussion is becoming too big a diversion from the core subject of the thread.

Thanks.

/mod
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Soooo....

Business as usual then ?

First of all, thanks to the Mods for all you do.

That said, IMO there is room for improvement and at the end of the day, that improvement will come based on how the forum is moderated.

I'll highlight the chiseling part and say possibly "guilty as charged."

Remembering when I first entered the world of FT it was very intimidating with the vast knowledge. Yes, search first -- and try to find the answer to your question, etc. It takes a bit of work to figure out how to really take advantage of the tremendous knowledge.

Many people come here or jump in to participate because they had a problem - important to them -- and yes, the "welcome to FT I hope you come back is very nice" until it is followed up with what I will say is a continued effort to dissuade people who have negative experiences via a variety of tactics. I say to those FTers who also offer the vast knowledge, continue to contribute in threads where one adds value - it's integral to FT, but also allow the newbies and people who have had a bad experience to participate without having their heads chopped off.

I think the most interesting part is some of those threads would die much faster if OP was allowed to vent, get a bit of constructive feedback, and then that was it, instead of the near usual interrogation. YMMV. Just my personal opinion.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 6:37 am

Programs: Meh
Honestly this is becoming a little ridiculous now. Some people will post strongly worded messages that can upset others (happened to me until I told myself this is just an internet forum and to cop on), and the mods do a great job to keep things in check.

People are taking this whole thing way too seriously.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.