Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

This booking cannot be upgraded due to the fare class of this ticket.

This booking cannot be upgraded due to the fare class of this ticket.

Old Mar 27, 17, 9:46 am
  #1  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Programs: BAEC Silver, MilagePlus Gold, Emirates Silver
Posts: 15
This booking cannot be upgraded due to the fare class of this ticket.

Hi,
I have some flights from New York (JFK) to London (LHR).
They were booked into WTP. I got an offer online to upgrade them and it was around $400 per leg into Club World.

It seems it has taken the selling class to "U"
According to this post this a Club Avios bracket?

Anyway, both legs are in U. Is the correct? Should it be in U? If I call BA on an unrelated matter they always assume this is a Avios booking until i explain/argue and after around 30 minutes they understand it's not.

My question here is will i still l get avios and tp's automatically in "u" also when I try to upgrade to First using avios it gives me

This booking cannot be upgraded due to the fare class of this ticket.

Is this the case? Can I not upgrade POUG's?
kt1931 is offline  
Old Mar 27, 17, 10:37 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: London
Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Posts: 37,024
Welcome to FT, kt1931!
Originally Posted by kt1931 View Post
Is this the case? Can I not upgrade POUG's?
I believe that this is correct: once you have taken a POUG, you cannot UuA that ticket any further.
Globaliser is offline  
Old Mar 27, 17, 10:44 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, ARN, HEL, ..... or MAN
Programs: BA GFL, GGL, CCR, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, Hertz Gold 5*
Posts: 4,767
Welcome to FT!

Were your original WTP tickets redemptions or a cash booking? If they are a cash booking then you should get full Club TPs and (probably discounted) Avios for your POUG.

If it was a redemption into WTP then you won't get any Avios or TPs, even if your upgrade was a cash payment.

I believe that if you have taken a POUG then you can't upgrade any further.

If, once you have flown, you don't automatically get the Club TPs, then calling BA will get that sorted.

Hope that helps
ThatT1Feeling is offline  
Old Mar 27, 17, 10:48 am
  #4  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Posts: 8,733
Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
Welcome to FT, kt1931!I believe that this is correct: once you have taken a POUG, you cannot UuA that ticket any further.
Yes welcome to Flyertalk and the BA Board kt1931.

Globaliser is correct. Once you receive an online upgrade that usually shows in a redemption class so you can only upgrade one cabin at a time. My Y flights always show this.

i.e. economy into WTP goes into P class (WTP redemption) and means it can't be upgraded further using avios. The same principle applies for your scenario, your now booked into a redemption fare to prevent another upgrade to F.

However as it's a revenue ticket (I assume from the wording of your post) in WTP and a PAID upgrade you will get the tier points for club although with BA you might have to claim retrospectively so keep your BP's etc/receipts. You can do this on ba.com

If it's a WTP redemption and then a paid upgrade you will receive nothing as the underlying fare is a redemption.

You can if you want to ask on the day at the airport if there are any Airport Upgrades (AUP's) but they are not gauranteed and not for sale on every flight.
PETER01 is offline  
Old Mar 27, 17, 10:53 am
  #5  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Programs: BAEC Silver, MilagePlus Gold, Emirates Silver
Posts: 15
OK - thanks.
Yes all of it is cash. Is there a reason why it went into "u"?
Is this not for Clubb Avios bookings?
kt1931 is offline  
Old Mar 27, 17, 10:56 am
  #6  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Posts: 8,733
Originally Posted by kt1931 View Post
OK - thanks.
Yes all of it is cash. Is there a reason why it went into "u"?
Is this not for Clubb Avios bookings?
If it's a cash booking and you take the offer of an online upgrade then it books into U to prevent you from using Avios to get into F. You will still get the Avios/Tier points for Club though.

You can only upgrade one cabin at a time when using a POUG. You can't use Avios to upgrade into First.

See my post above at the airport upgrade mention.
PETER01 is offline  
Old Mar 27, 17, 11:01 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: London
Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Posts: 37,024
Originally Posted by kt1931 View Post
Yes all of it is cash. Is there a reason why it went into "u"?
Is this not for Club Avios bookings?
Yes, but U class is also used for other booking types as well, including POUGs (as you have seen).
Globaliser is offline  
Old Mar 27, 17, 11:08 am
  #8  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Programs: BAEC Silver, MilagePlus Gold, Emirates Silver
Posts: 15
Ah I see. Is there a reason why they don't want me booking into First after a POUG. Is it because I have not spent has much to get into Club and it would be a bigger "Loss" to them allowing me into First for free (although it's Avios)

Thanks for your advice
kt1931 is offline  
Old Mar 27, 17, 11:16 am
  #9  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Posts: 8,733
Originally Posted by kt1931 View Post
Ah I see. Is there a reason why they don't want me booking into First after a POUG. Is it because I have not spent has much to get into Club and it would be a bigger "Loss" to them allowing me into First for free (although it's Avios)

Thanks for your advice
Basically if someone were to book a cheap WTP ticket then take a cheap pro-active online upgrade offer into Club and then be allowed to upgrade using Avios then BA wouldn't get very much for a First Class seat.

The reason is as you say they could potentially sell a F seat on a flight for an awful lot of money.

Price a full flexible First Class ticket to say Los Angeles or Hong Kong and it is an eye watering amount, Australia even more so.

Club is still a very good product and if you haven't already read the Dashboard i would recommend it.

BA Forum Dashboard

Another useful site is:

thebasource

There are also many other corners to Flyertalk so I hope you may find some/many of the forums useful
PETER01 is offline  
Old Apr 21, 17, 12:18 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: BA EC Gold, Southwest A-List/Companion Pass
Posts: 68
Advice please--I am receiving this message online while trying to upgrade into Club from WTP "E". I am new to Exec Club but I was under the impression all rev fares were eligible for a one-step upgrade. Is that not always the case?
sanfran767 is offline  
Old Apr 21, 17, 12:24 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Kiev, Ukraine
Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Posts: 6,677
Originally Posted by sanfran767 View Post
Advice please--I am receiving this message online while trying to upgrade into Club from WTP "E". I am new to Exec Club but I was under the impression all rev fares were eligible for a one-step upgrade. Is that not always the case?
Not all economy class booking classes are, but all WTP booking classes definitely are - you need to call BAEC if you see availability in CW but can't upgrade online.
Andriyko is offline  
Old Nov 4, 17, 12:19 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Portland
Programs: MVPGold 75K
Posts: 309
WTP to CW

Can anyone let me know into what class WTP to CW gets upgraded with upgrade buy up option at the airport?

I would likw ti know if it is J,C,D, R,I so i know what is the earning total to be credited to Alaska airlines?

Thank]Alex
felicidad76 is offline  
Old Nov 4, 17, 12:58 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Programs: BA Gold, VA Platinum
Posts: 317
Originally Posted by felicidad76 View Post
Can anyone let me know into what class WTP to CW gets upgraded with upgrade buy up option at the airport?

I would likw ti know if it is J,C,D, R,I so i know what is the earning total to be credited to Alaska airlines?

Thank]Alex
I believe it bumps into U and you will only credit the original Avios & TPs.
flyingmonkie is offline  
Old Nov 4, 17, 2:49 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: London
Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Posts: 37,024
Originally Posted by flyingmonkie View Post
I believe it bumps into U and you will only credit the original Avios & TPs.
If you buy an airport upgrade, you should get credit for the upgraded cabin if you are crediting to BAEC (and therefore earning Avios and TPs). Often this doesn't happen automatically and you have to retro-claim, but that is BA's system.

However, felicidad76 wants to credit to AS, and I don't know the situation with that.
Globaliser is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: