Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airside Exit from T3

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by KARFA
Well tbh they mostly don't even do a check at T5C now anyway. And even if they did why would they kick you off?
They probably changed their protocol. Which would make sense as I don't even see a reason that they would need to do a check at T5C anyway.

However this happened several years ago, and they were still doing checks at the end of the line (this may have been T5B, I forget whether T5C had been built yet). I was treated like a criminal, like I was trying to breach the UK border or something.

I don't think the employee checking the train really understood how the system worked, though - she was probably just instructed to make sure everyone got off. Otherwise why would she think I was trying to bypass immigration, when all I was trying to do was get to the immigration checkpoint?
Old Feb 21, 2017, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; MB Ti; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; RR Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I think it is relatively easy. Leave the Cathay lounge, turn left, head towards the BA lounge without leaving the main corridor. Then follow the signs to Zone H, by the AA Admirals Club, and just beyond is a sign for Flight Connections. Thereafter is a sign for exiting T3, which indeed involves a double door. You need to ensure only one door is open at any one time. This is a legal exit route.

I think that Positive Boarding allows a second scan of boarding passes, it's not that clever. But I am sure you will report here on your experience.

The post office is right by the Fast Track security entrance.

I think I have spent too long in LHR.
Thanks CWS! This forum would be much poorer if it wasn't for your time spent in LHR .

Frankly I'm hoping Royal Mail deliver early to avoid the hassle, however I'll report back tomorrow if I do give this a whirl.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:19 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I think I have spent too long in LHR.
Understatement of the day. We all certainly appreciate the sacrifices you make!
Old Feb 22, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VFC Gold, Marriott Silver, Hertz PC, DYKWIA
Originally Posted by KARFA
Well tbh they mostly don't even do a check at T5C now anyway. And even if they did why would they kick you off?
Last time I paid attention to the announcement, it seemed to imply that HAL was making us wait to board so they could ensure the compartments were empty.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 8:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by richi
Last time I paid attention to the announcement, it seemed to imply that HAL was making us wait to board so they could ensure the compartments were empty.
The security check annoucemebt is at T5A where they hold the doors closed pending the check. I don't remember any such announcement at T5C, and there isn't a security check at T5C either.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 8:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The announcement is indeed just T5A. T5C, when it opened, did have a security sweep, since there some unfinished construction work going on and therefore a stairwell that connected arrivals and departure. Once that was completed, which was some time ago, the check was no longer needed. It stayed in place for a few months after and the check then stopped. There were a few reports (two I think) of HAL staff clearing the transits when they happened to be there at the time, but it's not a semi-official way out. It still stuffs up Ready to Fly, so it remains important to tell BA staff you've offloaded yourself, and you won't be able to re-enter T5 without some flapping around with the boarding pass.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Thanks again everyone for your input here; in the end Royal Mail were very prompt delivering (09:20) and it made an exit unnecessary.

Hopefully this will help the next person though!

OT: Seems BA aren't the only ones having lounge teething troubles, CX are serving a much reduced menu in their Flounge: only starters, desserts and items from the noodle bar. No main courses. Apparently it's due to an ongoing electrical issue in the kitchen.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
As far as lounge-dentition analogies goes, in CX's case it's infant teeth being wobbly, in BA's case it's the last stumpy molars of an old nag! But indeed facilities problems can happen to the best, sometimes.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by dakaix
…I'll need to collect an Amazon parcel from the landside Post Office.
Clever -- how does one arrange collection from that Post Office?
Old Feb 22, 2017, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Clever -- how does one arrange collection from that Post Office?
Should work for any supplier that offers the Royal Mail's "Local Collect" service. In Amazon's case this is what you need to do:

1) Go to your Amazon account and click "Add a new address"
2) On the right-hand side (under Amazon Pickup Location) type Heathrow into the "Search by landmark" field
3) Select the "Local Collect at Heathrow AirportTerminal Three" option... number 3 in my case.
4) Re-confirm your payment details

You just need to make sure to select the right address when ordering and you're all set. It's a great service all considered; Local Collect parcels are held in-branch for up to 15 days so you can get stuff sent there before you travel and collect as you pass through.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 6:48 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Thank you, dakaix! Very good to know and will no doubt be useful at some point!
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:32 am

I may have reason to make a last minute change of plans at T3 soon - is this exit route still possible? Thanks!
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There have been some changes. But essentially if you go to the AA lounge you should see the yellow sign for arrivals.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond
Not sure if this is a recent change, but the departure-side platforms at T5C now have signage for Arrivals and Baggage Reclaim above the transit doors.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.