Wiki Posts
Search

Japan going westbound

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2018, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Japan going westbound

Is Tokyo possible (from London) going the long way stopping in Seattle or similar within the confines of a reasonable fare?

Happy to to endure a few sectors & would like to keep it to circa £2k (ish) in J.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: VIPorter First, BA GGL, DL Plat, Golden Circle Elite
I think you'll find it punitively expensive. Just as flying to Asia from N. America via Europe is 2-3x the cost of going over the Pacific. If you want TPs, go via Doha.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 4:26 pm

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kellytoronto
I think you'll find it punitively expensive. Just as flying to Asia from N. America via Europe is 2-3x the cost of going over the Pacific. If you want TPs, go via Doha.
Or Finnair
Old Sep 4, 2018, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Willphipps
Is Tokyo possible (from London) going the long way stopping in Seattle or similar within the confines of a reasonable fare?

Happy to to endure a few sectors & would like to keep it to circa £2k (ish) in J.
Very unlikely for £2k.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 7:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
I have done it with AA via ORD many years ago in the days when I had System Wide Upgrades and the whole trip required just 1 of those so the fare was under £700. I doubt £2k would get you half way there these days but it might be worth having a look at aa.com even so.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
If you have the avios you could try for an open jaw return redemption LON-SFO//TYO-LON, then just pay for the pacific flight (but that itself could be expensive).
Old Sep 5, 2018, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
AA used to be able to sell tix EU-US-Asia. Just as @Blueboys999 , I used SWUs to go ExEU-LHR-LAX-NRT/HKG-SIN/BKK or similar. Base tickets in coach were priced 75-90% over what stopping in LAX would have costed. With 1 SWU covering 3 segments, 2 covered all bases but the intra-Asian segments. Around four years ago, these routes were no longer available as a normal reservation, but could be ticketed as two fares together, but requiring full-fare economy (Y fare), thus unintrestingly expensive.

Doing a quick search on both aa.com and ITA Matrix prices r/t tickets at £5.5K for economy (Y fare), £7.5K for business (C+D fares)
Old Sep 5, 2018, 11:01 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by onobond
£7.5K for business (C+D fares)
Less for a RTW fare but still nowhere near 2k
Old Sep 5, 2018, 11:15 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
OP can get to HAWAII for about 2k and redeem on JAL for HNL-TYO-HNL and thus maximise TPs, however this would be a very tiring itinerary
armouredant likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:57 pm

I don't think this is a competitive routing so you will probably pay a very high price in J to do it. If you can show some flexibility, it might work out, i.e. travelling Premium Economy to the US and then doing US-TYO in J when you will almost certainly need a flat bed!

Best option for under 2K is probably codeshare via Europe. If you can try JAL's J class, do it! I once used miles to do LHR-HEL on Finnair in J, then JAL HEL-TYO followed by TYO-FRA on JAL and FRA-LHR on BA on the return. You don't necessarily get to use the lounges as much as you might want between sectors because of relatively short connections but definitely worth trying it.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 9:13 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
TYO on BA from anywhere in Europe without going the long way round starts at around £2k in J so I cannot possibly see any way of keeping it under £2k going the long way round. More like £4k and up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.