Seats opening up after T-72?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2017, 3:13 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver; Finnair Silver
Seats opening up after T-72?

Hello all - glad to be posting here!

I am on my first F tomorrow and originally I chose 4K on the 777 as a silver at time of booking, with all but one other seat (5A?) at the time not being available.

I checked back at T-72 and no change.

Then at about T-48 1K became available and I moved to it.

Is it usual for such seats to open up after T-72?

Thanks,
Old Feb 14, 2017, 3:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Yes, some seats are reserved for Gold Card Holders until T-72, at which point they are released for selection by non-GCHs. 1A and 1K in F are examples of this. Bassinet seats are a second example, but even these cannot be selected by Gold Card Holders unless you have a child on your booking (they are reserved for this purpose)

Sometimes the seats open up a little before T-72, sometimes a little after - as you have experienced. But the general rule is T-72.

Enjoy your flight!
Old Feb 14, 2017, 4:26 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver; Finnair Silver
Thanks !!
Old Feb 14, 2017, 4:33 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Not sure it applies to First, but seats can sometimes be blocked to lower status customers due to theoretical seating.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 8:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
And a slightly late welcome to you FiscalFlyer, welcome to the BA board here on Flyertalk. We always like to see new faces here so I do hope you can continue to post here.

Indeed not much unusual here, and as in a way has always been the case if you don't have quite the seat you want, by all means do Online check-in but hold off printing /Apping (etc) your boarding pass, seats move around at increasing speed as you get to departure time. Theoretical seating has brought some new logic to it which we are (still) trying to decode, but in a way, 'twas ever thus.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by obduro
Yes, some seats are reserved for Gold Card Holders until T-72, at which point they are released for selection by non-GCHs. 1A and 1K in F are examples of this. Bassinet seats are a second example, but even these cannot be selected by Gold Card Holders unless you have a child on your booking (they are reserved for this purpose)

Sometimes the seats open up a little before T-72, sometimes a little after - as you have experienced. But the general rule is T-72.
And for completeness, let's not forget the simplest one: sometimes people cancel their bookings!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.