FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Seats opening up after T-72? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1822077-seats-opening-up-after-t-72-a.html)

FiscalFlyer Feb 14, 2017 3:13 am

Seats opening up after T-72?

Hello all - glad to be posting here!

I am on my first F tomorrow and originally I chose 4K on the 777 as a silver at time of booking, with all but one other seat (5A?) at the time not being available.

I checked back at T-72 and no change.

Then at about T-48 1K became available and I moved to it.

Is it usual for such seats to open up after T-72?

Thanks,

obduro Feb 14, 2017 3:40 am

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Yes, some seats are reserved for Gold Card Holders until T-72, at which point they are released for selection by non-GCHs. 1A and 1K in F are examples of this. Bassinet seats are a second example, but even these cannot be selected by Gold Card Holders unless you have a child on your booking (they are reserved for this purpose)

Sometimes the seats open up a little before T-72, sometimes a little after - as you have experienced. But the general rule is T-72.

Enjoy your flight!

FiscalFlyer Feb 14, 2017 4:26 am

Thanks !!

ianwall Feb 14, 2017 4:33 am

Not sure it applies to First, but seats can sometimes be blocked to lower status customers due to theoretical seating.

corporate-wage-slave Feb 14, 2017 8:17 am

And a slightly late welcome to you FiscalFlyer, welcome to the BA board here on Flyertalk. We always like to see new faces here so I do hope you can continue to post here.

Indeed not much unusual here, and as in a way has always been the case if you don't have quite the seat you want, by all means do Online check-in but hold off printing /Apping (etc) your boarding pass, seats move around at increasing speed as you get to departure time. Theoretical seating has brought some new logic to it which we are (still) trying to decode, but in a way, 'twas ever thus.

Globaliser Feb 16, 2017 11:38 am

Originally Posted by obduro (Post 27906785)
Yes, some seats are reserved for Gold Card Holders until T-72, at which point they are released for selection by non-GCHs. 1A and 1K in F are examples of this. Bassinet seats are a second example, but even these cannot be selected by Gold Card Holders unless you have a child on your booking (they are reserved for this purpose)

Sometimes the seats open up a little before T-72, sometimes a little after - as you have experienced. But the general rule is T-72.

And for completeness, let's not forget the simplest one: sometimes people cancel their bookings!