Community
Wiki Posts
Search

self boarding gates are here

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2017, 1:01 pm

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!
Originally Posted by Calchas
You've just moved the problem from the gate to the pre-security area.

You'll still need a person to make sure the documents are okay and that the documents match the person. Only then can the biometric be stored against the document. And this has to all be done at the same time, otherwise person A can get his docs approved against the passport, and then swap with person B for the biometric scan. Person B gets on the plane despite not looking anything like person's A passport picture.

Now okay doing all three at once is not a big deal, but it isn't really clear to me what problem has been solved: why not just move the person to the gate and forget the biometrics stuff?

The difference from domestics is that there are no passports or documents to care about so it can be automated without human intervention.
Indeed - but the difference is that doing it pre-security means you might need an additional 3 or 4 to staff the "booths". But then all of the boarding gates can be fully automated, with maybe just one staff member there for special cases/queries. So a huge saving across the whole operation, and possibly faster boarding as well. Assuming the gates work, reliably, that is! (Ha)
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:31 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
T5 - Automated BP Scanners at Gates

Not sure if already posted. At T5 gate A3 and noticed 3 Automated scanners for BP. Are these for priority Boarding? Gold , Silver , Bronze?

Also at A1 and A2
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: BA GGL
I've boarded twice on domestics recently using the automated gates - one on A3 and I think it was A19. Must have started towards the beginning of May.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Self boarding used to GLA (just!) before the IT meltdown at Bank Holiday for me
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
I wonder if they have the capability to enforce the Priority Boarding sequence or will just let anyone for that flight through?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ianwall
I wonder if they have the capability to enforce the Priority Boarding sequence or will just let anyone for that flight through?
That would be nice, then they could have 3 separate lanes for the 3 tiers. And once priority boarding complete, then switch them on for everyone to use.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: BA GGL
They certainly don't seem to do any enforcement at the moment on a software level. On a flight a few days ago they were enforcing Gold/CE boarding only at the queue entrance (but were allowing one guest, which I isn't strictly allowed I think?) but the gates were just allowing anyone through.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Great!
Another small victory for the Blues!
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Beaulieu
They certainly don't seem to do any enforcement at the moment on a software level. On a flight a few days ago they were enforcing Gold/CE boarding only at the queue entrance (but were allowing one guest, which I isn't strictly allowed I think?) but the gates were just allowing anyone through.
Yes, there is no policy of guesting when boarding. It is allowed sometimes but it is not a benefit provided by status.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
A7 has them too - I used them when heading to NCL last week. The lady was checking that it was Gold / CE only manually before we used the gates. Seemed to work fine.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by deboyzoned
That would be nice, then they could have 3 separate lanes for the 3 tiers. And once priority boarding complete, then switch them on for everyone to use.
LH and LX use boarding e-gates at home bases extensively. Board the priority passengers first by policing effectively by an agent, then switching on the e-gates for Y/non-status passengers to use. All very civilised, versus scenes from the 6Nations at BA.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
See also this thread with pictures:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ates-here.html
Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
Great!
Another small victory for the Blues!
Ah Bless 😊👍
Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
A7 has them too - I used them when heading to NCL last week. The lady was checking that it was Gold / CE only manually before we used the gates. Seemed to work fine.
Certainly wasn't the case last week at gate A1 to NCL.

The call went out for Club Europe and Gold passengers to board. Nearly the entire priority queue surged forward, myself and a couple of other polite silvers stood to one side.

I thought it seemed a lot of CE and Gold passengers in the queue. When I saw someone going through with Bronze luggage tags and clutching a boarding pass showing row 20, I gave up and joined the crowd to get through the gates.

At no point was there any enforcement, either by the automated gates, or the gate staff. The staff never policed or patrolled the queue and never asked to look at any boarding passes. There was no urgency as the flight was somewhat delayed and gate staff were present and standing around chatting well in advance of actually beginning boarding.

Why does BA seem to find it so hard to implement any kind of boarding process? What is the point of having any boarding process if it's not enforced and the staff don't care? On a departure from ORD last month the gate staff boarded by row number (i.e. cabin class) alone, completely forgetting about BAEC holders until an annoyed passenger reminded the person in charge of the gate!

It will only get even worse at LHR with these automated gates.

Last edited by TownCar; Jun 19, 2017 at 1:19 pm Reason: Grammar
Old Jan 9, 2018, 12:03 pm

About 75% failure rate at LHR gate 8 last week (flying to EDI).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.