Community
Wiki Posts
Search

self boarding gates are here

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2017, 5:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Fitch
I for one welcome this initiative, provided it does indeed control Priority Boarding consistently and particularly if it frees up staff to properly police hand baggage, give floating help etc.
If it does free up staff, they'll be sent home on redundancy. All part of the the enhancements Cruz is planning
Old Jan 28, 2017, 5:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
At immigration, this is a manual check, as the automatic matching wasn't accurate.

I wonder if it will be manual at the gates?
​​​
I think the matching on domestics has been automatic for a long time. At the gate the light on the camera turns green once its matched you and the agent can go ahead with the boarding pass scan
Old Jan 28, 2017, 5:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by jwhite9185
We must have been stood more or less right next to each other... I was also on that flight, and posted more or less the same thoughts on Twitter. I didn't see the signs though.

https://twitter.com/jamesw85562/stat...54404269264897
In reference to you twitter .... These gates have been at gate 8 for months
Old Jan 28, 2017, 6:01 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
I don't think anything will change from passenger's perspective. We might clear BP check faster, but the real bottleneck is inside the jetbridge and inside the aircraft itself, because some people are so slow in accommodating their baggage and settling down. This is why I either come before boarding starts, or at the very end.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 6:22 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Sparth3103
If it does free up staff, they'll be sent home on redundancy. All part of the the enhancements Cruz is planning
Well, to clarify my position:

IF remaining headcount is non-zero and
IF the technology works and
IF BA stop treating status pax with indifference bordering on contempt and
IF the staff deign to do useful work

then it could be a plus... quite a lot of ifs there though
Old Jan 28, 2017, 6:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've used them in New Zealand however I believe they are only used for domestic flights. There was an agent in attendance just in case an idiot like me came along.
As it was a one class flight on a prop plane with boarding using the rear door those seated in the front rows were called first.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
The machines won't monitor the three bags / kitchen sink that people try on with domestics! Could cause more trouble with overhead bin space..
Old Jan 28, 2017, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by jwhite9185
We must have been stood more or less right next to each other... I was also on that flight, and posted more or less the same thoughts on Twitter. I didn't see the signs though.

https://twitter.com/jamesw85562/stat...54404269264897
yes, must have been!

Originally Posted by Calchas

I expect BA will still have one manned desk.
agreed. I cannot see how you could have a boarding gate without an agent who can help out / get involved.

Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
Stalker! Always knew there was something creepy about you
lol. weren't we just talking about our dear friend Tobias only last night over dinner?

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
The machines won't monitor the three bags / kitchen sink that people try on with domestics! Could cause more trouble with overhead bin space..
good point!
Old Jan 28, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I'm sure they can be programmed to snatch hand luggage from GGLs and old ladies!
Old Jan 28, 2017, 10:06 am
Suspended

Programs: British Airways Exec Club
This is the way it should be. All gates should be like this, every single one.

Certain areas should have people in them, and they can move gate to gate or assistance or If there are any delays or issues.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 10:08 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by OSIModel
This is the way it should be. All gates should be like this, every single one.

Certain areas should have people in them, and they can move gate to gate or assistance or If there are any delays or issues.
Not really possible for international flights from the UK since a passport/visa check is required and that can only really be done by a human, hence why these gates would only be used for domestic flights.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, SkyMiles Gold, Mucci deux fois
Just imagine; one will soon be able to go from self check-in to your selected seat and fly to your destination of choice without any vocal interaction whatsoever between self and any British Airways employee.

The future has arrived and I for one do not embrace it.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
There are there, in the background of your pic. BTW Hello fellow revolutionary!
You know what, I didn't even notice that until you pointed it out. And I failed my medical at work this week because my hearing was bad... should have tested my eyesight too!
Old Jan 28, 2017, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by :D!
On Lufty isn't priority boarding done by humans and then the rest go through the gates?
Not really - the gate agent would (in most cases) simply activate just one e-gate (the one next to the desk basically) for C/status passengers and I've never experienced any status check. On SK (at least in CPH), mess is the word: e-gates do not recognise status and the majority of passengers seem to be aware of that, meaning mass continental queuing and au revoir priority boarding.

G
Old Jan 28, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
Originally Posted by PrimaVista
Just imagine; one will soon be able to go from self check-in to your selected seat and fly to your destination of choice without any vocal interaction whatsoever between self and any British Airways employee.

The future has arrived and I for one do not embrace it.
And on a plane with no pilot!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.