Community
Wiki Posts
Search

self boarding gates are here

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2017, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
I just wondered if there was CE on domestics then it would create a greater need for priority boarding, adding considerable complexity to the process.
Arguably the e-gates would make the CE aspect of priority boarding easier - you're either in CE or you're not.

The complexity is for guests of status travellers, which the e-gates won't recognise.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 2:20 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
The complexity is for guests of status travellers, which the e-gates won't recognise.
Guesting of status travellers in Priority Boarding happens all the time, de facto, but unlike Fast Track security, it's not an advertised benefit......
Old Jan 28, 2017, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Guesting of status travellers in Priority Boarding happens all the time, de facto, but unlike Fast Track security, it's not an advertised benefit......
Is that a polite way of suggesting that e-gates spell the end for Priority Boarding guesting?
Old Jan 28, 2017, 2:37 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by crazyanglaisy
Will be interesting to see how op-ups, exit row seat checks, and other random boarding pass troubles are handled. Perhaps it'll be akin to the Tesco self-service checkout situation where you have roaming assistants waiting to intervene everytime an issue arises that the technology can't handle. I fear this will be more annoying for everyone involved, particularly if the boarding becomes more of a free-for-all, as suggested above.
on Lufthansa, I got an op up at the self service boarding gate. I scanned my mobile bp and it spat out a new piece of paper with SEAT CHANGE followed by UPGRADE! No human intervention needed.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 2:49 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
On Lufty isn't priority boarding done by humans and then the rest go through the gates?

That's what I recall happening at FRA 8 months ago (my most recent LH intra-Schengen flight).
Old Jan 28, 2017, 3:03 am

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
on Lufthansa, I got an op up at the self service boarding gate. I scanned my mobile bp and it spat out a new piece of paper with SEAT CHANGE followed by UPGRADE! No human intervention needed.
That's good to hear.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 3:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
We must have been stood more or less right next to each other... I was also on that flight, and posted more or less the same thoughts on Twitter. I didn't see the signs though.

Old Jan 28, 2017, 3:12 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by jwhite9185
We must have been stood more or less right next to each other... I was also on that flight, and posted more or less the same thoughts on Twitter. I didn't see the signs though.

https://twitter.com/jamesw85562/stat...54404269264897
But yet you took a photo of them!
Old Jan 28, 2017, 3:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
Indeed LH and LX (which seem to use the same system), will occasionally beep and spit out a thermal paper new seat assignment. I never seem to get opups, so assume it's usually an equipment change. On top of that the seat assignment seems to be intelligent and not dump you in row 99F.
Of course LH and LX don't do ID checks at boarding so don't know how that will work at BA, but they've been using the self-boarding for several years. Status pax and business class go through a manual gate and they don't open the e-gates until they've finished the status pax.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by catandmouse
Indeed LH and LX (which seem to use the same system), will occasionally beep and spit out a thermal paper new seat assignment. I never seem to get opups, so assume it's usually an equipment change. On top of that the seat assignment seems to be intelligent and not dump you in row 99F.
Of course LH and LX don't do ID checks at boarding so don't know how that will work at BA, but they've been using the self-boarding for several years. Status pax and business class go through a manual gate and they don't open the e-gates until they've finished the status pax.
There's no ID check on domestic flights

I expect BA will still have one manned desk.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 4:32 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
But yet you took a photo of them!
Stalker! Always knew there was something creepy about you
Old Jan 28, 2017, 4:38 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Don't know if I missed something , but these where in fully operational order in June last year to EDI from that exact gate ?
Old Jan 28, 2017, 4:56 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by jwhite9185

https://twitter.com/jamesw85562/stat...54404269264897
There are there, in the background of your pic. BTW Hello fellow revolutionary!
Old Jan 28, 2017, 5:03 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, Radisson Gold
Gah - not a fan of the biometric gates, I get chucked out quite often.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 5:05 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
Stalker! Always knew there was something creepy about you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.