Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Gatwick (LGW) South Terminal - user guide for BA travellers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2017, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread is a user guide to the new British Airways LGW (London Gatwick) South Terminal. Operations for BA's service in LGW transferred on 25 January 2017 from the North terminal. The purpose of this guide is to assist passengers in locating the services and facilities in LGW South. Background to the move here: BA move to LGW South Terminal
Gatwick to Heathrow transfer guide
BA Lounge First guide: click here. BA Lounge Club guide: click here.
Print Wikipost

Gatwick (LGW) South Terminal - user guide for BA travellers

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by MarkFlies
Seeing as all domestic arrivals are getting buses, it would make sense (for some flights, in the morning, maybe) to have two buses. One would be for connecting passengers and could deposit them straight into the departures area.

The cost involved might be saved by not having to (needlessly) re-screen these passengers.
Domestic arrival are bused to the terminal :O
Great, so my perceived benefit of getting to the train more quickly is wiped out ;,(
Old Jan 29, 2017, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Rail tickets: Oysters and contactless all work, and unless you have a railcard are more or less guaranteed to get you the cheapest ticket, unless you buy online in advance. Just note that during peak hours any Oyster needs to have £20 "space" on your card to get the gate to open at the LGW end even though the actual fare may be lower.
I found this website very helpful when it comes to rail planning: http://www.oyster-rail.org.uk/2016/0...er-at-gatwick/
Old Jan 29, 2017, 9:25 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Virazuno
I found this website very helpful when it comes to rail planning: http://www.oyster-rail.org.uk/2016/0...er-at-gatwick/
My jaw dropped to the floor when I read this guide. Our ex SVG departures have nothing on the Dalston Junction loop-round with off peak bus extension!

I'll add it into post 2 (with a health warning).
Old Jan 29, 2017, 10:03 am

My jaw dropped to the floor when I read this guide. Our ex SVG departures have nothing on the Dalston Junction loop-round with off peak bus extension!

It is quite something, yes! And that is one post of many on the subject. The comments are also full of valuable information.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (lapsed HNL Gold), Avis Preferred, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Plat, Marriot Plat
Our ex SVG departures have nothing on the Dalston Junction loop-round with off peak bus extension!
Mornington Crescent!
Old Jan 30, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Real pants about no domestic connections. I hope BA get onto GAL and get some sort of connection without re-screening added. 1hr 15min MCT might not be long enough at busy times.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 2:38 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Some updates to the first posts, and a gate map graphic courtesy of GSTBK.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 3:27 pm

But as contactless cards (Amex, Visa and Mastercard credit and debit all ok) cards can be used instead of Oyster why bother getting an Oyster card and just use one of your normal cards. No need to have it loaded with lots of money. The Oyster day cap works, so for the occasional London trip it doesn't make sense to buy an Oyster card.

In all cases, Oyster or not, the need to ensure you do not have lots of Contactless cards together in a wallet if you present it to the Oyster reader is an important one. It will quite merrily read them all and charge you for the journey on all of them!
Old Jan 30, 2017, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TPloser
But as contactless cards (Amex, Visa and Mastercard credit and debit all ok) cards can be used instead of Oyster why bother getting an Oyster card and just use one of your normal cards. No need to have it loaded with lots of money. The Oyster day cap works, so for the occasional London trip it doesn't make sense to buy an Oyster card.
In my case I sometimes use pre-loaded weekly Travelcards via my Oyster, but the main reason is that it makes my accountancy / tax returns a lot easier.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 3:43 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
http://diamondgeezer.blogspot.co.uk/...as-oyster.html is a "guide" for when to use oyster vs contactless
Old Jan 30, 2017, 3:44 pm

In my case I sometimes use pre-loaded weekly Travelcards via my Oyster, but the main reason is that it makes my accountancy / tax returns a lot easier.
That is one of the disadvantages as you cannot add a season ticket to it, although they do now have 7 day capping (Mon-Sun) on contactless. You can also set-up an account and associate your contactless cards and get a summary and history of your travel, which should be ok for accounting. However, if you use the London Oyster network a lot then I agree an Oyster card makes sense, although the tax man used to be a bit funny about top-ups, as the journey had not yet been made and might not be business related.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by TPloser
But as contactless cards (Amex, Visa and Mastercard credit and debit all ok) cards can be used instead of Oyster why bother getting an Oyster card and just use one of your normal cards. No need to have it loaded with lots of money.
A few reasons:

* Simpler expense reporting (much easier to turn in one receipt for £20 or £40 than to need to grab a copy of a bank statement or login to TfL)...
* Lost and registered oyster cards are not a big deal to lock and replace, dropping a credit card or debit card can make for a painful trip, though Apple Pay somewhat solves that
* Traveling with kids and needing a separate card for some of them (and not very many US cards are contactless yet)

I imagine that Oyster cards are generally more convenient for families and out of London visitors than locals (as well as some of the reasons in the link a few posts before this one about when contactless and when Oyster are cheaper... my annual Oyster spend is maybe £120, so not enough to really matter).
Old Jan 30, 2017, 5:31 pm

Can any one confirm that the check-in kiosks give proper boarding passes and not the 'receipt paper' type?
Old Jan 31, 2017, 12:20 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
This is getting a bit OT, but other reasons why Oyster is better than contactless:
  • You can load Railcard discounts onto your Oyster card, but can't onto your contactless card.
  • Oyster touches are processed more quickly by the ticket barriers - there's always an extra half-second wait if you're following someone through who is using contactless.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 12:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MarkFlies
Can any one confirm that the check-in kiosks give proper boarding passes and not the 'receipt paper' type?
The kiosks give thermal receipt paper similar to LHR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.