Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Gatwick (LGW) South Terminal - user guide for BA travellers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2017, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread is a user guide to the new British Airways LGW (London Gatwick) South Terminal. Operations for BA's service in LGW transferred on 25 January 2017 from the North terminal. The purpose of this guide is to assist passengers in locating the services and facilities in LGW South. Background to the move here: BA move to LGW South Terminal
Gatwick to Heathrow transfer guide
BA Lounge First guide: click here. BA Lounge Club guide: click here.
Print Wikipost

Gatwick (LGW) South Terminal - user guide for BA travellers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2017, 5:59 pm

Programs: BA bronze
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
No, that's not quite the case, but I fully agree it is inconsistent.
Thanks for clarifying. I'll hope next time it's third time lucky!

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It is also the case that it is best to turn up at T-21 minutes and no sooner. It's rare for domestics to shut up shop more than a few minutes before departure.
Yes, but in the case of a delayed flight how do I know when T-21 is? The screen in the First lounge didn't show an estimated departure time for the delayed 17.10 flight but initially "Gate information at 17.03" then at 17.03 that changed to "Proceeed to gate".
Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:07 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Alvador
Yes, but in the case of a delayed flight how do I know when T-21 is? The screen in the First lounge didn't show an estimated departure time for the delayed 17.10 flight but initially "Gate information at 17.03" then at 17.03 that changed to "Proceeed to gate".
LGW has an annoying automated FIDS (or FIBS as I call it). So 17:03 "proceed to gate" means they expect departure at 17:43 (it's hard wired at 40 minutes), so those in the know will appreciate that if you turn up at 17:22 you would still be OK, and it only takes 5 minutes to get to all gates up to gate 23 or so. I suspect they were in fact boarding well after this time. You best check with the BA staff on the lounge desk since they may know a bit more.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 3:28 pm

Programs: BA GGL
I had a question about priority boarding for domestic flights at LGW (actually flights with biometrics).

Boarding for Jersey the other day, I waited in the general queue until I could branch off into the priority lane which was to the right hand side of the right of the two podiums.

The agent gave me a "can I help you?" (read: "why are you standing there?"). I explained what I was up to and that I was trying to follow the sign, and he said they weren't doing priority boarding and I should go back into the general queue.

I wondered if that's something to do with the location of the cameras, which I think is referenced in some posts upthread from January? Or something else? Frustrating if they've done away with a priority boarding lane for some flights at LGW.

Any insights appreciated!
Old Jul 17, 2017, 5:09 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Ryanair also have problems with this at LGW (and have complained to GAL about it).

The usual layout is to have a short-cut filter route and a clear board stating Priority Boarding feeding through to a single GAL operator doing the biometrics. Which seems incredibly, tediously slow. If there is a problem, not all the desk have a telephone so s/he may then need to stop all boarding until the can contact control, but that's off topic. Either way there are usually 2 or 3 BA gate staff waiting for the biometrics, and clearly not working at full speed.

Now out of I guess 20 domestics I have had one experience where there was no Priority Boarding sign - it may have been a late gate change, I recall it was raining heavily - but otherwise if you are Gold you shouldn't have been challenged, it is standard procedure at LGW. If there wasn't the very clear sign in position then I'm afraid you were out of luck on that occasion, but it is another reason for boarding late......
Old Jul 19, 2017, 3:57 pm

Does anybody know how easy it is from LGW airside/lounges to go back landside (ie: exit the terminal) in case one decides not to fly? I have a rather unusual situation: I have a business trip that, due its nature, might be cancelled at the very last second. Due to time zones and the nature of this particular project there is a remote chance I might only know minutes before boarding... In which case I would offload myself and (very happily) go back home... I know what this entails at LHR but not at LGW. Is it doable or is it a major hassle?

Thanks in advance for any input!
Old Jul 30, 2017, 6:07 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
Anyone have experience with the new USA security at LGW

Will be going thru LGW for a flight to TPA in a few weeks. I'm wondering what extra time above the usual 2 hours is needed now that the new US bound security measures are in place. It might be a bit difficult as the plans stand now to arrive much earlier than 2 hours.

Thanks!
Old Jul 30, 2017, 7:14 pm

Programs: BA Silver VS EI
Hi there quick question on a connecting flight. BA inbound from BGI and onto EI to Dub, one ticket and bags hopefully checked through, confirm we can stay airside with security and a immigration check I presume? Will need also to pick up EI boarding cards at a service desk? Have previously always done this from North to South so will be nice to stay in one terminal.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 3:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kileysmom
Will be going thru LGW for a flight to TPA in a few weeks. I'm wondering what extra time above the usual 2 hours is needed now that the new US bound security measures are in place. It might be a bit difficult as the plans stand now to arrive much earlier than 2 hours.
There is no additional security at the LGW end of any consequence, just a slightly higher chance of an "at the gate" baggage recheck. This entire hoo-haa is about getting the USA to European levels of security thoroughness, not vice versa, bearing in mind the USA isn't as well equipped to do vapour testing. Two hours is - well - way too long in my view, on my FLL service I didn't bother going airside until about 50 minutes to departure, though they tried to catch me out by boarding very early. If checking in luggage, and particularly with status, 90 minutes is generous enough, and you could shave a bit off that too.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 3:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ATCOlad
Hi there quick question on a connecting flight. BA inbound from BGI and onto EI to Dub, one ticket and bags hopefully checked through, confirm we can stay airside with security and a immigration check I presume? Will need also to pick up EI boarding cards at a service desk? Have previously always done this from North to South so will be nice to stay in one terminal.
No, you have to pass via landside, since DUB is in the Common Travel Area, and so treated as a domestic transfer. You can use the e-gates, hopefully, to save time. BGI should be able to give the EI boarding passes, but it may be worth trying on the BA.com (one shot only, so make sure your wifi / printer is reliable) at OLCI. Otherwise you'll need to pick up boarding passes landside, but it's not much out of the way, since the arrivals area is one side of Marks and Spencer, and Aer Lingus/departure security is the other side.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
CWS, thanks very much for the information! KM
Old Jul 31, 2017, 6:30 pm

Programs: BA Silver VS EI
Cheers CWS. To date we have never been able to get the EI boarding cards in BGI but we have plenty time in LGW to get them and enjoy the BA lounge prior to flight ;-)
Old Aug 3, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: BA Silver
What are the guest restrictions on fast track/premium security?
Would I manage to take 4 guests (all on the same booking) through fast track while travelling in ET? I am o/w Sapphire.

Last edited by linz36; Aug 3, 2017 at 9:27 am
Old Aug 3, 2017, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by linz36
What are the guest restrictions on fast track/premium security?
Would I manage to take 4 guests (all on the same booking) through fast track while travelling in ET? I am o/w Sapphire.
I'm not sure if there's a formal rule, but I think that's taking the Mickey.

Usually one or maybe two guests is okay. Just pick your favourites.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

It's formally one guest. You could always upgrade the family to Club.

However the main LGW security is fast and furious. Make sure you have trained all the spousal units and cost centres properly so that they don't have stuff sent to secondary security (liquids and electronics, the usual) and you should be through very quickly. It certainly isn't pretty but I get the distinct impression GAL want you in their shopping paradise as soon as possible.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: BA Silver
Does anyone have a list of BA SH destinations that fly from LGW?

edit:
Nevermind, I found the list: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...atwick-airport - now to translating these into airport codes.

edit2:
that list turned out to be useless, but http://lgw.fltmaps.com/en lets you filter by direct BA flights. A little bit of parsing, and the full flight list seems to be:

Code:
Dest Distance in km
ALG	1,632 	
ALC	1,432 	
AMS	365 	
ANU	6,571 	
BCN	1,110 	
BRI	1,711 	
BDA	5,546 	
BOD	705 	
BGI	6,766 	
CAG	1,508 	
CUN	7,984 	
CPT	9,651 	
CTA	1,941 	
DLM	2,795 	
DBV	1,691 	
EDI	573 	
FAO	1,690 	
FLL	7,108 	
FDH	801 	
FUE	2,773 	
GVA	716 	
GOA	1,007 	
GLA	595 	
IBZ	1,371 	
INN	943 	
HER	2,683 	
JER	259 	
KIN	7,545 	
ACE	2,713 	
LCA	3,251 	
LIM	10,168 	
LIG	597 	
GNB	763 	
FNC	2,459 	
AGP	1,648 	
MLE	8,521 	
MLA	2,065 	
RAK	2,269 	
MRU	9,759 	
NAP	1,595 	
JFK	5,575 	
NCE	1,003 	
NUE	821 	
OAK	8,647 	
MCO	6,999 	
PFO	3,190 	
PSA	1,149 	
OPO	1,279 	
PUJ	6,906 	
RHO	2,776 	
FCO	1,408 	
SZG	1,024 	
SJO	8,737 	
SVQ	1,593 	
UVF	6,806 	
TPA	7,118 	
TFS	2,915 	
SKG	2,137 	
TIA	1,867 	
TRN	880 	
VLC	1,299 	
VCE	1,118 	
VRN	1,040 	
VIE	1,252

Last edited by linz36; Aug 14, 2017 at 10:28 am Reason: update

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.