Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Gatwick (LGW) South Terminal - user guide for BA travellers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2017, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread is a user guide to the new British Airways LGW (London Gatwick) South Terminal. Operations for BA's service in LGW transferred on 25 January 2017 from the North terminal. The purpose of this guide is to assist passengers in locating the services and facilities in LGW South. Background to the move here: BA move to LGW South Terminal
Gatwick to Heathrow transfer guide
BA Lounge First guide: click here. BA Lounge Club guide: click here.
Print Wikipost

Gatwick (LGW) South Terminal - user guide for BA travellers

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by bafan
Great introduction - thanks. What's security like at the South terminal ?
Security is located upstairs from Check in. There is an escalator at the back of the BA check in zone, at the top the escalator head straight on passed Caffe Nero until you see the Bloc hotel (50-70m walk), next to this are Premium Security and Regular Security. Its well sign posted.

One negative was the premium lane led straight into the main security, which merged queues. However the staff lets premium ahead in the queue. Whether this is just in low foot flow periods or lack of staff, that to me is unknown. I'm sure others can clarify on this.

The layout is very similar to North, with electronic boarding pass gates and then the usual 5 person layout for offloading your personal items into crates and onto the conveyor. It was pretty quick process at 9.45-10am yesterday morning. Theres the very convenient tip straight after security, thanks to C-W-S, head left then immediate left before the escalators/stairs down. This leads out onto the top floor of the Departure Lounge where the new lounges are and will be.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 12:03 pm

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Is there going to be a guide on connections, domestic to international and the reverse?
We always found North was a hit and miss about going through flight connections.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
One negative was the premium lane led straight into the main security, which merged queues. However the staff lets premium ahead in the queue. Whether this is just in low foot flow periods or lack of staff, that to me is unknown. I'm sure others can clarify on this.
This used to happen in North as well.

Quiet periods - premium queue led to front of regular security and staff bought you forward in front of regular pax.

Busy periods - dedicated premium security lane.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Security is located upstairs from Check in. There is an escalator at the back of the BA check in zone, at the top the escalator head straight on passed Caffe Nero until you see the Bloc hotel (50-70m walk), next to this are Premium Security and Regular Security. Its well sign posted.

The layout is very similar to North, with electronic boarding pass gates and then the usual 5 person layout for offloading your personal items into crates and onto the conveyor. It was pretty quick process at 9.45-10am yesterday morning. Theres the very convenient tip straight after security, thanks to C-W-S, head left then immediate left before the escalators/stairs down. This leads out onto the top floor of the Departure Lounge where the new lounges are and will be.
Thanks !
Old Jan 26, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Originally Posted by MarkFlies
Anyone know about the shade of blue being used?

Most of the signs have the (newer?) lighter shade of blue, but I notice the sign to First check-in is the (older?) darker one.

In the lounge thread, there's also a few of the darker signs. Entering the lounges at LHR, I always notice the darker colour too.
Don't worry MarkFlies, you're not the only one to have noticed the different shades of blue... the darker shade on the left hand totem for F check-in I haven't seen before, so not sure when that applies, while the lighter shade on the right totem and above the desks with the 'word cloud' is the shade used most often, since at least T5, if not earlier.

Edit: having said that, before the royal blue that is on the right, most signs used to be in a more navy blue, but still not the same shade as the left totem.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 5:20 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There's still more work to do on this, but I've updated the main contents to include departure, security, arrival and connection information.

For those interested in Priority Boarding there is also information above, some of which isn't intuitive, so perhaps of value to be read in advance of travel.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Updates noted earlier, Sir, for which thanks again.

The Gate arrangements seem a little untidy where Priority Boarding is in olved (or not!!), but perhaps slightly better in real life and with experience.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 6:16 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thanks very much UncleT, indeed it is untidy. While I was at this very gate (it is a BA flight, the red banner is the Air Berlin codeshare) there were 2 BA managers taking photos of this and they agreed it was tricky. There isn't really space in the corridor to put up a moving sign either. Normally Priority Boarders are regulars so they will get the hang of it, but it is a bit awkward to walk past the queue, which then snakes around Tensas in the yellow area to the desk - you are fairly close to the other passengers as you glide to Priority Boarding.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 6:38 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS, Costa Coffee, My Waitrose
Yes good work CWS, i am sure all the once a year LHR regulars will find the info useful whilst they invade my local airport

Could I just correct you on something, you keep referring to the South Terminal as being smaller than the North. Its the complete opposite, Overall the South terminal is 160,000 square meters, against 98,000 in the North Terminal.

The South is considerably better laid out than the North, hence why it may feel smaller.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 7:04 am

Seeing as all domestic arrivals are getting buses, it would make sense (for some flights, in the morning, maybe) to have two buses. One would be for connecting passengers and could deposit them straight into the departures area.

The cost involved might be saved by not having to (needlessly) re-screen these passengers.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Reading the Beta guide over and over, and with all of our travel being ex-JER, I feel I/we don't come out too well
  • JER arrivals always bussed (= cold + delay)
  • Inefficient route from bus to Reclaim (= steep stairs or lift)
  • No Connections to Int'l (OK, only a few times a year, but even so)
  • Priority Boarding (as mentioned above)
Positives do exist, though:
  • FLounge (eventually!!)
  • Premium Gatwick (now excellent at North, IME)
  • A route to a Smoking Area at Check In Level (although sadly NOT one airside, where we afflicted really want one!)
Old Jan 27, 2017, 9:02 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
So I have just completed a HBO walk through from train to lounge in under 10 mins. Here are my observations and pictures which can be used as required:

1 - So much nicer to come off the train and not have to go on that blasted tram between terminal - big bonus!

2 - The Premium Security Chanel was a bit chaotic as the belt had broken so some folks were being directed elsewhere and some had their Tracy's hand carried to a different belt. Lots of men with walkie talkies organising though........

3 - The walk to the temporary lounge was quick and the shortcut highlighted by CWS was good!

4 - lunges covered in the other thread, however if you dont want champagne or a full meal, consider going to the Speedbird lounge of=ver the Clubrooms during this temporary stage.

5 - Walk to gates to come!

The pictures are the signs to look for to get from arrival at train station to the lounges. ON an iPad so cant do too much preening just now but will label etc when I get back to a computer!

aks120
Attached Images        
Old Jan 28, 2017, 3:36 pm

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
Rather OT but may be of interest. Today I flew on an orange plane from North terminal to Glasgow. Premium security was solely for premium passengers (i.e. with no feeder lane from other passengers). Queue was very small, however, there were so many cases that need the second check that the conveyor belt couldn't move as there were cases waiting to join the secondary queue that prevented "clean" cases from moving through. Probably 10-12 trays in the queue with a lot of concerned people waiting. Other lanes had similar issues. Not sure what was causing this. The Aspire lounge was busy until the Bridgetown flight started boarding. The GLA flight boarded from 55F; there were no other flights boarding from the 55 gates.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 5:58 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
To add the guide...

Domestic, ROI and Channel Island Flights...

All are bused to the terminal....

There is no airside connection from these flights to the departure Lounge... you have to go Landside and then re-clear security.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SWISSBOBBY
Domestic, ROI and Channel Island Flights...

All are bused to the terminal....

There is no airside connection from these flights to the departure Lounge... you have to go Landside and then re-clear security.
Thanks, though it was already in the bottom of post 1. However can you just check it for anything I've missed?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.