Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2017, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by cuspidor
I just done a TFS return, no issues, fair few people buying. I bought the beef sandwich and a coke, very nice. I paid £90 return, was able to use the lounge, got tier points and triple avios , EasyJet wanted £142 for similar flights. ( I looked for today and u can buy a one way TFS to LGW for £37! On BA. When I can get fares like that I am not complaining
When you consider the lounge access is included, that is a really great deal (even without it). Another successful BoB experience - seems like the teething problems are getting ironed out.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 3:18 am

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Flew SVG-LHR a few weeks ago. Chap in the aisle seat in my row orders 2 whiskeys, a beer and a bottle of water. Takes probably 3-4 mins to serve him and process payment. Then he couldn't open the whiskey. Gives it to the cabin crew who couldn't open it either. She gives him a replacement, again they can't open it. Another mini bottle comes out of the trolley. Both he and cabin crew can't twist the cap off. Then one of the cabin crew has an idea. She goes to the galley and comes back with the oven glove, a big one with rubber on. In an instant the cap comes off. Relief from all around. I go back to reading my paper.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 4:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Not a reaction to BoB, as such, but to the lack of BoB...

On a morning flight from LCY to TXL a couple of days ago, there was a complimentary meal consisting of full English breakfast, yogurt, orange juice, bread roll and tea or coffee.

The passengers sitting across the aisle from me had brought their own food (from Pret) on board, expecting there to be no free food and drink, and were pretty annoyed that they had done so unnecessarily. They said they had flown on BA the previous week and were told they had to pay if they wanted anything to eat or drink, and couldn't understand why they were now being offered a free breakfast. The CC didn't really explain it very well, either, simply saying that "We're not BA; we're BA Cityflyer and still offer complimentary food and drink".

So, customers who were already feeling unhappy about having to pay for refreshments on a BA flight the previous week were now unhappy that they had wasted money on buying before they boarded, thereby damaging even further their perception of the brand. And what happens when free food is also withdrawn from the LCY services? Another downward lurch in passenger satisfaction.

BA is confusing its passengers and contributing to the discontent over BoB.

(The breakfast was terrible, by the way, with dry, overcooked scrambled egg swimming in a sea of greasy water. How is that even possible?)
Old Feb 12, 2017, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by Misco60
Not a reaction to BoB, as such, but to the lack of BoB...

On a morning flight from LCY to TXL a couple of days ago, there was a complimentary meal consisting of full English breakfast, yogurt, orange juice, bread roll and tea or coffee.

The passengers sitting across the aisle from me had brought their own food (from Pret) on board, expecting there to be no free food and drink, and were pretty annoyed that they had done so unnecessarily. They said they had flown on BA the previous week and were told they had to pay if they wanted anything to eat or drink, and couldn't understand why they were now being offered a free breakfast. The CC didn't really explain it very well, either, simply saying that "We're not BA; we're BA Cityflyer and still offer complimentary food and drink".

So, customers who were already feeling unhappy about having to pay for refreshments on a BA flight the previous week were now unhappy that they had wasted money on buying before they boarded, thereby damaging even further their perception of the brand. And what happens when free food is also withdrawn from the LCY services? Another downward lurch in passenger satisfaction.

BA is confusing its passengers and contributing to the discontent over BoB.

(The breakfast was terrible, by the way, with dry, overcooked scrambled egg swimming in a sea of greasy water. How is that even possible?)
Scrambled egg can separate when it is left standing around in the heat.

If the breakfast was so terrible, then wouldn't the people who bought from Pret be pleased?
Old Feb 12, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Returning from LPA to LHR last night the CC were toeing the company line when a few pax around me complained about having to pay. Probably because it was BA staff on an away day from the desk job (mixed fleet strike route). Compare this to the week before when one CC was being very indiscrete and telling pax what she thought.

Woman in 15A was losing the plot and almost started a fight with the woman in 16B who basically told her to get a grip. There were quite a few sales from what I could see (not a surprise on a 4h route). Flight was delayed by 70 minutes due to air restrictions inbound to LPA. Probably another reason why there were lots of sales. The smell and clinking cutlery of the Club Europe dinners wafting down the aircraft made it all the worse for those of us down the back. 12 rows and a packed 48 strong Club cabin added up to a heady mix. Overheard one guy on the transfer bus say: "If you're down the back you might as well fly Ryanair." Not quite as you get double avois as Gold and lounge access, more luggage etc. Maybe as a non-BAEC member. But Ryanair don't fly to LHR.

On the same day my bro' flew to GVA from LHR and said his main complaint was the slowness and also the CC didn't appear keen on delivering Bob.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
They really need to sort out the process its a shambles. It literally took them 40 minutes to get past the first row last week from ARN, I have no idea how any one further back got f&b. Had similar experience from AMS when I'm almost certain no one got f&b on the short flight. Its a joke. Surely they could get contactless? And somehow the "system" managed to mess up some bills and only one unit working. Not only does it slow f&b but it also makes it impossible for people to use the loo as the trolleys move so slowly.

On an aside, the beef sandwich and coffee are pretty decent. Disappointed with most of the rest, particularly the bacon roll.....
Old Feb 13, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: BA Gold AVIS Presidents Club
LHR- PRG last night. Decided to try out the BOB despite getting my monies worth in the BA T3 F lounge beforehand. G+T = 675 avios. System worked well ....merely a swipe on ones BA card required and the deal was done.... when I could find the card that is / was

OF

PS Neighbours tap water (with ice and lemon) was gratis!
Old Feb 13, 2017, 8:31 am
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
I flew on a MF route recently, sitting in the second row of economy behind the curtain. CSM came to me, thanked me for being a brilliant customer and asked me if I would like anything from the CE bar. I was a bit embarrassed so just asked for water. Later when I went to the (CE!) loo, we had a discussion, over a free cup of CE tea. She told me it was something that she did on her own initiative, but only if the passenger was easy to get to. Not sure if it was Gold or GGL thing.
On the return we booked into CE. It was a MF strike day; the CSM seemed to be, shall we say, distracted. In his haste to so something he tipped the whole catering trolley onto the floor in the entrance to the galley. He decided not to serve any food (though he did bring the desserts around later). I did think they could have offered us something from the M&S menu, but it did not happen. Had to pop into the chippy on the way home.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 8:40 am

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
Originally Posted by YClass
. Surely they could get contactless?
Contactless is now available (I used it last night and it is quick). The production of a receipt does seem time-consuming.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by squeeler
. In his haste to so something he tipped the whole catering trolley onto the floor in the entrance to the galley. He decided not to serve any food (though he did bring the desserts around later). I did think they could have offered us something from the M&S menu, but it did not happen. Had to pop into the chippy on the way home.
Was he trying to tip the trolley?

I'm struggling to see what would he try to do that would result in tipping the whole trolley...
Old Feb 13, 2017, 11:53 am

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
Originally Posted by tuff
Contactless is now available (I used it last night and it is quick). The production of a receipt does seem time-consuming.
On a recent flight that seemed to be the biggest issue indeed.
One CC member constantly asked the other CC member to "go check in the back if it's printing". Do they have a second POS in the back which might be printing duplicates?
Old Feb 13, 2017, 2:41 pm
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jms_uk
Was he trying to tip the trolley?

I'm struggling to see what would he try to do that would result in tipping the whole trolley...
I am sure it was no intentional. I was in 1D so had a good view. He started down the aisle, changed his mind and tried to go back in to the galley. And over it went. It all happened in an instant.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 3:19 pm

Poor sod!

Still, amazing that crew aren't able to offer BoB free to CE in such events. Really bizarre.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by fife
Poor sod!

Still, amazing that crew aren't able to offer BoB free to CE in such events. Really bizarre.
Indeed, bad day in the office!

Would they have enough stock to offer everyone in CE a sandwich? From what I've been reading on here it sounds like stock is distinctly lacking on many occasions.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Flying into LGW - no packets of crisps onboard. Stock seems to be such a problem - even if you want to buy food on the plane, you run the risk of not being able to do so.

Sad situation on the flight - an elderly lady had her foreign card refused. Crew member was apologetic, but all she could do to be kind was offer a free glass of water. A passenger seated nearby stepped in and paid for the lady's food. She was touchingly grateful and saying how much the generosity meant. I thought: a few weeks ago it would have been BA providing free food and drink and earning that goodwill.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.