Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:46 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by BA6948
Still some twitter rants about food options not available on return legs and a new one about a customer that has been given a Tomato and Mozzarella Focaccia past its sell by data. BA apparently says it is M&Ss fault, M&S says it is BA's fault. Interesting!
In case you buy it and then notice it is sold out, it is the responsibility OF THE SELLER to refund you immediately. Who appears as the seller in the receipts? BA?
Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
In case you buy it and then notice it is sold out, it is the responsibility OF THE SELLER to refund you immediately. Who appears as the seller in the receipts? BA?
Tourvest
Old Feb 21, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by layz
Tourvest
I still think it is BA's responsibility as BA staff are physically selling the goods.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 11:06 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
I still think it is BA's responsibility as BA staff are physically selling the goods.
100% yes
Old Feb 21, 2017, 12:43 pm

This is a chance for a new enhancement. They can put a bin at the back of the plane where they put all the food that's expired. Put a sticker on the items and sell em at a discount.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Ber2dca
This is a chance for a new enhancement. They can put a bin at the back of the plane where they put all the food that's expired. Put a sticker on the items and sell em at a discount.
But if it is past the sell by date it is a criminal offence to sell it........
Old Feb 22, 2017, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Soupey202
No, "Sell by" ("Display until" on M&S packs) is advisory. "Use by" is the one that you should not consume the food after (although most of the time it'll be ok if you exercise your own judgement, retailers and caterers shouldn't be offering anything past this date). "Best before" is used on products where eating out of date should be safe but may affect taste.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 5:38 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
New reports of flights returning without food options: RAK

A twitter rant about the availability of food on flights:
@British_Airways 846 this morning 6 Bac rolls 1 foc 1 salad and 1 fruit salad. That's all you loaded. When will you sort this chaos system
And a video report from a passenger on a flight from Frankfurt. Just 2 bacon rolls for the 2 sectors.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by Soupey202
Even in international waters? ;-)
Old Feb 22, 2017, 7:52 am

Programs: BA Gold; Turkish Miles&SmilesElite;; Freccia Alata Plus; Amex Platinum; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold Elit
Originally Posted by BA6948
New reports of flights returning without food options: RAK

A twitter rant about the availability of food on flights:

And a video report from a passenger on a flight from Frankfurt. Just 2 bacon rolls for the 2 sectors.
http://youtu.be/NRsU3LZqPJM
The reason banks give (or at least gave) piggy banks and other goodies to children when they opened accounts was to make them cherish the bank's brand and be a customer for life. BA seems to have a different opinion on the need to garner brand loyalty.

Seems as though this youngster is, at the age of 19, lost to BA and will be sharing his low opinion of BA's "race to the bottom" with his peers.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: BA
What's the current wisdom ? I've got a domestic coming up soon - I'm currently sat in an exit row - should I move forward if I want to buy something on board ? (or should I top up in the lounge before departure?)
Old Feb 22, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
That youtube report above really doesn't put BA in a good light.

Oh dear .....BoB continues to be something of a mess - not least where loading of adequate supplies is concerned.

Some shortfalls being reported are well outside the margin of what could be reasonably justified/accepted - even allowing for the fact that predicting demand is admittedly far from easy. Some flights are even going out with zero ET food onboard.

It was all announced back in September, and launched well over a month ago ; and yet, despite all that time in planning & preparation, one could be forgiven on occasion for suspecting that the whole concept was dreamt up as recently as yesterday.

(the vlogger really, really didn't like the price of a cup of tea ...... did he ...... )
Old Feb 22, 2017, 9:13 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by malkie
What's the current wisdom ? I've got a domestic coming up soon - I'm currently sat in an exit row - should I move forward if I want to buy something on board ? (or should I top up in the lounge before departure?)
All my domestic flights in the last 3 weeks have successfully completed the whole aircraft without issues, that's 20 or so flights, including two full 767s to EDI. If you are in an A320 or A321 I doubt you'll be waiting long to be served. As noted upthread, if it is a non English destination then if you order a bacon roll, plus other items, your provisions may well be fast tracked.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
All my domestic flights in the last 3 weeks have successfully completed the whole aircraft without issues, that's 20 or so flights, including two full 767s to EDI. If you are in an A320 or A321 I doubt you'll be waiting long to be served. As noted upthread, if it is a non English destination then if you order a bacon roll, plus other items, your provisions may well be fast tracked.
Can you put a rough percentage on the number of people who do order BoB, and does it vary widely by route?

Interested if they're getting the targeted £2000 per flight
Old Feb 22, 2017, 9:27 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Paralytic
Can you put a rough percentage on the number of people who do order BoB, and does it vary widely by route?

Interested if they're getting the targeted £2000 per flight
They definitely aren't getting £2k a domestic flight! I did see one EDI after that rugby game where they may well have got £1k or more. The trolley was out from Motherwell to Banbury. But it varies enormously from just a few takers - say 10 sales, unlikely to be £100 - through to one or two sales per row, with plenty of the hard stuff sold. What's more, I've been on the same flight, same flight times, two days in succession, similar passenger loads, and seen totally different patterns of behaviour. NCL and EDI seem to spend more freely than GLA, which won't surprise you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.