Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2017, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Worcester
Anyone know if they ate serving bacon rolls on the IST flights?
Is bacon banned in Turkey? Although it's a majority Muslim country they do have a large Christian population plus many other people visiting the country. What is a shame is they don't have a hot option that'd suit those who can't eat bacon for religious reasons or quite simply don't like it. Is there a veggie hot option that I've not noticed?
Old Jan 28, 2017, 3:09 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by layz
Is bacon banned in Turkey? Although it's a majority Muslim country they do have a large Christian population plus many other people visiting the country. What is a shame is they don't have a hot option that'd suit those who can't eat bacon for religious reasons or quite simply don't like it. Is there a veggie hot option that I've not noticed?
The focaccia is hot and vegetarian.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 1:24 am

Programs: QF
Hi,

I have read most of this thread, but I can't find an answer.

My dad who is in his late 80's, is flying SYD - LHR in a few days then he has a few hours to hang around then a connection from LHR - NCL.

He bought his ticket before BA announced the removal of their food and drinks from domestic flights and he is not a BAEC member, so can't claim the 1000 avios or whatever the compensation is.

I only just told him that free food and drink had been removed as he was not aware. While in the great scheme of things for an hour flight he won't exactly starve, he is dissapointed he purchased a ticket that included food and drink and he won't get it.

He was planning to object on the flight, but I know that this will do no good. Is there anything proactive that I can do for him?

Thanks
Old Jan 29, 2017, 1:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by firstclassnewbie
He bought his ticket before BA announced the removal of their food and drinks from domestic flights and he is not a BAEC member, so can't claim the 1000 avios or whatever the compensation is.
I seem to recall they were offering passengers the ability to cancel their flight but I presume that's the last thing he would do at this stage of the game. By all means complain to Customer Relations, and see if they will issue a Duty Free voucher instead (this I believe can be used for buy on board merchandise), but you have the usual consumer protections that would apply in this situation. Though the outcome isn't guaranteed, you could pursue BA for a tea and biscuit through several different channels after the event if necessary, however for £3 or £4 there may be a materiality factor here.

I would not complain on board, or if he did, ask for it to go into the SCCM's iPad. The crew have very little say or influence on this one.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 2:13 am

Programs: QF
Thanks CWS. I suspected complaining on board would do next to nothing. He is stubborn and will likely decide to say something as some form of minor protest.

As you say any kind of action for £4 is a waste of everyone's time.

Just one of those things.

Slightly OT - he is flying SYD - LHR with CX in J then trasferring to BA for the hop up to NCL. Would he qualify to go into GC at T5? That might calm him down enough to keep quiet.

Last edited by firstclassnewbie; Jan 29, 2017 at 2:18 am
Old Jan 29, 2017, 2:17 am

Programs: BAEC
Just to add a data point about contactless and use of Apple/Android pay, neither the payment terminal nor the Apple/Android pay device need an Internet connection.

The contactless standard includes provision of offline transactions. These come with a higher risk to the merchant but provided the terminal has the necessary hardware encryption to store the pending transactions they can be reconciled later.

For example the contactless payment solution used by TfL in London is based on offline contactless. For TfL the imperative was to process the transaction as quickly as possible, in places where both the terminal or payment device cannot be guaranteed to have a good Internet connection. And arguably for TfL the additional cost of allowing someone to take a journey that is later rejected is small. But for BA this offline risk might be too big as their BoB profits could walk out of the door at the end of a flight if a transaction later is rejected.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 2:58 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
I just came off of a inpromptu TP RUN after AA took my points and refused to correct it
Anyways I have NEVER seen a plane as empty as todays ba795 HEL-LHR! Did everyone jump ship after free service ended? ����
Usually this flight is jam packed in theback and fairly fill in the front.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 3:03 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kauppias
I just came off of a inpromptu TP RUN after AA took my points and refused to correct it
Anyways I have NEVER seen a plane as empty as todays ba795 HEL-LHR! Did everyone jump ship after free service ended? ����
Usually this flight is jam packed in theback and fairly fill in the front.
You obviously have flown very much if that's the lowest load you have ever seen on a flight. It wasn't full as you noted, but it certainly wasn't empty either at the front or back.

EDIT: just to add that there were I think 6-7 rows of CE and about 2 free seats - although the curtain is movable of course so you can always make a full CE cabin.

Last edited by KARFA; Jan 29, 2017 at 3:09 am
Old Jan 29, 2017, 5:29 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by KARFA
You obviously have flown very much if that's the lowest load you have ever seen on a flight.
Maybe kauppias hasn't been introduced to the LBA route yet?

(Sorry, I couldn't resist )
Old Jan 29, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, VX Gold
Originally Posted by plunet
The contactless standard includes provision of offline transactions...But for BA this offline risk might be too big as their BoB profits could walk out of the door at the end of a flight if a transaction later is rejected.
Given that there is no internet connectivity on board and even after the recent announcement it will take a couple of years to fit the fleet out (with an air-to-ground solution that won't have coverage throughout Europe), it would very much surprise me if BA move to an online transaction model in the next 3 years.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I seem to recall they were offering passengers the ability to cancel their flight but I presume that's the last thing he would do at this stage of the game.
While I read accounts of this here, in my case, with numerous flights booked prior to BoB being announced, GGL passed on my requests to CR which refused both fee-free cancellations (I consequently cancelled all of my short haul flex tickets as a result, which I was not going to do) and/or avios compensation for the affected pre-existing bookings. I understand from the other thread that others also received the same negative response, as far as I remember all GCH/GGL complaining through the relevant contact email/number.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
So sad to hear of the level a once-respected global organisation will stoop to, in its determination to grab every possible penny.

They know the price of everything, but the value of nothing.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: BA GfL, IHG Diamond, HH Diamond
Just adding to the debate.

LGW - FUE (BA2700) with Mrs. Scheduled at just over 4 hours, A320, close to 100% load. Cannot comment on the food. One active trolley with 2 crew took nearly 3 hours to get through the economy cabin. Nearly everyon bought multiple items as this was a lunchtime flight. Queues stacking up behind the trolley to use the rear toilet. Endless stream of folks sent to use the CE toliet by crew - not good for the CE branding. Started duty free trolley, did not get past row 10 before having to shut down for landing. Crew looked stressed and frustrated having to deal with the pressure to deliver and keep the aisles clear.

Does anyone know if BA leadership have actually taken an econ flight, sat in the very back and waited for the cup of tea? Would love to see the mystery shopper reports that BA will get in the coming weeks.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: BA GfL, IHG Diamond, HH Diamond
One other comment - agree the payment process needs improvement - this seemed to be a challenge in the rows around us
Old Jan 29, 2017, 10:48 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by firstclassnewbie
Slightly OT - he is flying SYD - LHR with CX in J then trasferring to BA for the hop up to NCL. Would he qualify to go into GC at T5? That might calm him down enough to keep quiet.
He would get Galleries Club lounge access in T5, yes, so long as it is a same day connection and preferably on one reservation. He should retain the HKG-LHR boarding pass for this. North is probably the most convenient for the flight, but South would be more pleasant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.