Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread is an information based guide for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, focusing specifically on information for what is available for purchase and how to buy items from the menu. The first post has the current menu and an FAQ, by all means ask other questions if not already answered. This thread is not concerned with the rights or wrongs of the decision to introduce buy on board.

There is a separate thread for experiences, anecdotes, reactions and related comments, which is to be found here:
Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (January 2021) can be found in post #189

Menu archive:
January-March 2020 menu post 153
October-December 2019 menu post 5 (separate thread)
May-September 2019 menu post 150
January-April 2019 menu post 144
September-December 2018 menu post 125
May-September 2018 menu post 115
January-April 2018 menu post 112
Autumn/Winter 2017 menu post 94
Summer 2017 menu post 91
January 2017 menu post 43
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2017, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by T8191
Mr & Mrs T, please

oops true for the Mrs!! you were actually the person I was thinking of when saying some other posters like it!!
Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Only soft drinks on LCY routes until change in Summer?

I have looked through the various posts but cannot find a reference to this so just wanted to ask if anyone has flown on the LCY BA Cityflyer routes recently? The BA website page outlining the BoB changes advises that drinks and snacks are still available free of charge on LCY domestic routes until the summer but then appears to imply that only soft drinks are available free of charge.
Anyone able to confirm if this is the case?
Many thanks,
Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
No change at LCY at the moment
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
BA and M&S have taken out a quarter page advert on page 15 of The Daily Telegraph newspaper in the UK this (Thursday) morning with the headline: "Quality comes first at 30,000ft". Specifically mentions being available on flights out of London Heathrow and London Gatwick. "In fact, all the delicious quality items specifically designed by M&S for BA customers are under £5". It's quite a low key ad, with the exception of the photo of a bacon butty, written in newspaper size text.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 3:50 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
26 March start of LCY BOB?

I have been doing some award searches for LCY flights and it looks like BOB will begin from 26 March.

Please tell me this isn't new information to FT as it isn't exactly difficult to find ... but I did a search which only located this prophetic post from October:

Originally Posted by shefgab
Does anyone know if "summer 2017" for LCY and STN routes starts at the beginning of the IATA Summer season (IIRC 26 March 2017) or will it actually be what people associate with summer (e.g. June or July), or some random date between those?
Old Feb 5, 2017, 8:20 pm

Programs: BA, OZ, A3, VA, VS, DL, QF, former BD and others
How will they do LCY BOB given the number of crew on the planes?
Old Feb 6, 2017, 1:58 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by :D!
I have been doing some award searches for LCY flights and it looks like BOB will begin from 26 March.

Please tell me this isn't new information to FT as it isn't exactly difficult to find ... but I did a search which only located this prophetic post from October:
I haven't seen any announcement, and while what you show here may be correct, it could just be a blanket statement to cover all the possibilities.

Originally Posted by wyvern
How will they do LCY BOB given the number of crew on the planes?
That is going to be a mystery to me too, for some of the shorter routes such as AMS and DUB that is going to be very difficult if there is CE and just 2 crew members. The longer flights should be fine, the passenger numbers are such that this should be OK after the first weeks of implementation. Domestic probably would be OK too, until they also get Club Europe, which is supposedly not far off. Hopefully the TourPOS will be made easier by then.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 2:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum
Glad you spotted this, I was just about to book some flights, but I will hold off on my bookings until I get confirmation. I have a flight to LCY coming up in a couple of weeks so I will ask the crew to confirm then. If this is correct I will be on the Train or on EZY from 26 March.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Has it been established whether payments with a BA Amex will get double Avios?
Old Mar 14, 2017, 6:46 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
My first time experiencing it on LHR-DUB last week. ET started at row 6, I was in row 10 and I was the first person to buy anything (I just had a soda). One person bought something in row 12 and that was all i saw around me. Didn't sound like the most profitable flight for BA.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
My first time experiencing it on LHR-DUB last week. ET started at row 6, I was in row 10 and I was the first person to buy anything (I just had a soda). One person bought something in row 12 and that was all i saw around me. Didn't sound like the most profitable flight for BA.
But you forget the cost saving of BA not needing to serve all rows of economy with a meal. So overall they probably made more profit than previously, especially if M&S is paying for the priv of their name being used.
And after a while people will forget that they used to get if for free and accept they can buy it if they want it. Just like when I flew Aer Lingus LHR-DUB. Didn't get upset, as i wasn't expecting it and decided not to buy anything on board. Maybe other BA flyers also have short memories, as Ialso remember good food on AL flights.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 2:12 am

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
We have a flight from Berlin to LCY on 26th March so that should be interesting if the date is correct.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 3:21 am

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
Originally Posted by tuff
We have a flight from Berlin to LCY on 26th March so that should be interesting if the date is correct.
Just checked MMB and there is a statement in the information section: "Charges may apply for food and drink. Please check operating carrier website for details"
Old Mar 15, 2017, 3:41 am
Suspended

There's an airside Pret at LCY which seems likely to be getting busier soon.

Provision for a pre-flight lounge or similar at LCY for BA passengers is getting very urgent.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:46 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by richardwft
There's an airside Pret at LCY which seems likely to be getting busier soon.
There are conveniently two Prets at LCY now, one in the main departures lounge and one along the walk towards the lower numbered gates. I found this convenient when arriving at LCY just in time the other day and not wishing to queue at the main Pret, I was able to get a sandwich with no wait at the auxiliary Pret while walking to the gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.