Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2017, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
** AA Domestic First on two cabin will earn business TPs and avios for departures on or after 11 January 2017 - see reference posts for more details **

** Note that the practice of AA Domestic 3-class service flights booking into A for 210 TPs when I was no longer available ceased in September 2017. Discussion here. **

Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2016 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below!

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from AMS/RTM to US ILN4T7S6/INX6T7S6 reported in this post and this post, e.g. NYC - €1,461, ORD - €1,492, LAS - €1,460, needs to be booked by 25 September, see linked post for details
  • from PRG to US ILN4T8S6 reported in this post, e.g. IAD - £1,033, MIA - £1,133, ATL - £1,080, needs to be booked by 21 September, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from DUB to US ILN8C1S6 reported here, e.g. NYC - €1,472, MIA - €1,578, see linked post for details
  • froM DUB to US ILN8S4C1 reported here, e.g. JFK - €1,427, MIA - €1,532, LAS - €1,667, LAX - €1,795, HNL - €2,095, this is an advanced purchase fare so no book by deadline, see linked post for details
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8R4C1 reported here, e.g. PHX - £1,252, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - £1,216, see linked post for details

See here in post # 8 for a 2017 archive of exEU sale fare, and see here in post # 445 for a 2016 archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe

24APR £0.90/TP £400 440 TLL-BA/AY-HEL-LON-GLA-KOI-ABZ ; TLL-BA/AY-HEL-LON-GLA-SDZ-ABZ (see post #1221)
02NOV £1.33/TP £583 440 LHR-HEL-TLL/TLL-HEL-LHR-NCL//NCL-LHR-HEL-TLL/TLL-HEL-LHR IIIIIIIIII Google Flights armouredant 2 nested tickets, both other a Saturday night. BA ticket, BA & AY metal, AY A350 possible LHR-HEL
08FEB £1.33/TP £346 260 JER-LGW-RAK-LGW-RAK I/I/I/I BA.com ramops
14AUG £1.65/TP £593 360 OSL-HEL-AGP-HEL-OSL I-I-I-I ITA Flythe96flag SH J cabin + possible red-eye (!) AY
26JUL £1.81/TP £72.70 40 MAD-FRA Z lan.com Prospero 787 flat bed LA
1JAN £1.85/TP £444 240 JER-LGW/LHR-HEL J/I/I/J ITA Matrix flatlander Available most weekends first half of 2016, fare IM0R
23NOV £1.89/TP £377 200 DUB-LHR-MAD-SVQ r/t I-I-I-I-I-I ITA Lorcancoyle IM0B IB DUB to SVQ BA and IB flights (I2 for domestic under IB code), random dates in December available, A340 on some dates (helpfully pointed out by Temps that domestic Spain is only 20 TPs)
24NOV £1.91/TP £765.00 400 BUD-DOH-SHJ I/A/I/A QR.com Wozza2404 A320 QR
11AUG £2.10/TP £420 200 AMS-LHR-GLA-LSI-ABZ-LSI-GLA-LHR-AMS I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I ITA Matrix --> Priceline.com MrMutton
13NOV £2.56/TP £410 160 LHR-HEL ? BA.com Lorcancoyle wide open as flight+hotel, can reduce with TCB cash back BA

From North, Central and South America
26Jan £1.50/TP £960 640 LGA-CMH-DCA-PHL-RDU-CLT-ATL-MIA-PTY and return I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I ITA Matrix--> BookWithMatrix dot com --> AA.com HPN-HRL other routings available; reverse routing is £40 more - see post 388 AA
10MAY £2.50/TP £203 80 ORF-CLT-ORD I/I AA.com
21MAY £2.08/TP £250 120 YYZ-PHL/LGA-CLT-ORF/PHF I/I/I AA.com
22NOV £1.43/TP £172 120 DCA-(LGA/BOS/PHL)-CLT-RDU (one way, reverse works as well) I/I/I ITA->BWM->priceline.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
23Feb £0.99/TP £356 360 TPE-xKUL-PEN(JHB)-xKUL-TPE Z http://www.malaysiaairlines.com ermen two day min stay, promo fare MH
04JAN £1.10/TP £44 40 KUL-PEN D http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/uk/en.html fitch Works in both directions, rtn £80 if you can make the timnings work MH
11Nov £0.85/TP £307 360 TPE-KUL-SIN-KUL-TPE Z http://www.malaysiaairlines.com neofung

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. The guide to using ITA matrix in post #4 (see here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest. AMS and JER easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seems the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post (here) MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports)

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520. Also the BA fare for LHR-HEL-TLL at ~£235 is still available and would get 200 TPs for a return.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive

Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 master thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Many thanks for the updates to the 2016 thread.

I think the AA devaluation combined with the increase in fares in general and the $ exchange rate will present some tough challenges for US focused runners from this point but I'm sure the combined knowledge and enthusiasm of the board contributors will keep the game going.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 1:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Gold, Alitalia STE+
KARFA - many thanks for your continued hard work on this forum. It goes without saying as earning opportunities become harder as BAEC (and other airlines) continue to change the field of play, this forum becomes more valuable.

To all the mods too - I thank you.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:03 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Many thanks for the comments folks. I am always open to suggestions for changes and updates.

For the runs in the wiki this is invaluable if everyone adds anything they find to it so please feel free to add runs which you spot, or remove something which is no longer live

Originally Posted by TravelManBiz
Great work! I have a small question regarding AA. They now book in J instead of A from 11 january. But what happends if I book a trip from for example OSL-LHR-JFK-LAX with J to USA and in the 3 class AA flight from JFK to LAX. Will I then now be put in the business class cabin on the AA flight with J class or will I get the first cabin in A class?

Or maybe if I fly A from LHR to JFK then the onward flight to LAX will be in A also?
So it was always the case that for an I class fare which included a three class A321 transcon you should have gone in the business cabin and earned business TPs. It was also the case that if there was no I available on that specific flight A class was permitted so you would find yourself in the first cabin and earn first TPs.

Talking to another FT'er who understands this better than I do the answer is that this trick of getting first on the transcon will be dead from 11 January. Going forward a BA fare will only look for I class, and the equivalent AA I class fare will only look for I or D.

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Thanks for the update KARFA!

Due to some bizarre planning, I find myself needing to reach LAS in March, but also needing to spend 2 nights in New York on the same trip.

With that in mind, I've suddenly realised I might be able to pull of a TP Run, but am unclear if stopovers of over 24 hours (and in the US opposed to UK) are permitted. If they are, will they simply attract the €200 fee?

I'd be looking at DUB-LHR-JFK-LAS return - or potentially flying back from PHX opposed to LAS if it makes any difference.

The start date of the trip would be:

DUB-LHR 14th March PM
LHR-JFK 15th March AM
JFK-LAS 17th March AM
LAS/PHX - LHR 19th or 20th March (preferably direct but not essential)

I'd therefore have a 2 night stop in New York, but I can't price it properly on Google (ITA is something I'm trying to learn!)

Would someone mind helping me in terms of the stopover issue?

Thanks in advance!

M
In the vast majority of exEU I class fares stopvers are either not permitted at all or permitted with a fee. The current advanced purchase exDUB fare (ILN8S4C1) does allow stopovers for a fee which is €150 if in Europe and €600 if in the US. An overnight connection of up to 24 hours is fine though and there is no fee for that.

Code:
ORIGINATING EUROPE -
    UNLIMITED STOPOVERS PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION IN
        EUROPE AT EUR 150.00 EACH.
       CHILD/INFANT DISCOUNTS APPLY.
    AND - UNLIMITED STOPOVERS PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION IN
              THE UNITED STATES/CANADA/MEXICO AT EUR 600.00
              EACH.
             CHILD/INFANT DISCOUNTS APPLY.
These are the travel dates for this fare so this lowest cost exDUB wouldn't apply for your outbound date.

PERMITTED
19MAR THROUGH 12APR OR
25JUN THROUGH 22AUG OR
23NOV THROUGH 30NOV OR
18DEC THROUGH 04JAN
FOR EACH TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR.
Instead if I search on your dates I get a more expensive INN4S4C1 fare for the outbound and back to the cheaper ILN8S4C1 for the inbound since it is after 19 March when you return. This gives a price of ~£1850. However the INN4S4C1 has exactly the same stopover conditions as the ILN8S4C1 fare so that doesn't help you.

If I specifically search with the stopover exDUB it seems the cheapest option is still the INN4S4C1 out and ILN8S4C1 back but it prices at ~£2350 since it is £1850 and €600 for the stopover.

One alternative would be to book an open jaw DUB-NYC/LAS-DUB which may cost ~£1500 and then you can make your own way between NYC and LAS.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:37 am

Is there a another discussion thread for MRs in 2017?
Not sure if we can ask questions on this MASTER thread.
Thank you

PS did read the fabulous MASTER thread but still a bit lost
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ParJA
Is there a another discussion thread for MRs in 2017?
Not sure if we can ask questions on this MASTER thread.
Thank you

PS did read the fabulous MASTER thread but still a bit lost
Hi ParJA and welcome. This is the thread to ask questions if you are interested in TP runs in 2017. There is also the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...deals-j-f.html thread if you are more focused on cheaper F & J fares but not interested in maximising TPs.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:01 am

Worth mentioning that there is £50 off a £200 spend at amex travel for targeted UK amex holders.

Makes the London-TLL trips really efficient. Contemplating nesting 8 round trips together for gold, £400 off the price really sweetens the deal.

I've never done a turnaround at LHR, but assuming I'm already checked in with a mobile boarding pass then can I just stay airside without needing to clear security. Same for all terminals? (ie I know if I'm switching between Finnair and BA it's not possible but finnair-finnair and BA-BA OK as long as it's arriving/departing from the same terminal?)
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Hi ParJA and welcome. This is the thread to ask questions if you are interested in TP runs in 2017. There is also the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...deals-j-f.html thread if you are more focused on cheaper F & J fares but not interested in maximising TPs.
Thanks so much for your kindness, KARFA.

My husband is presently GOLD but needs to get 615 TPS by Feb.8th to retain his Gold Status. I have just read about a great deal on the LHR-HEL-TLL trip for 200 TPS and only 232 GBPs. Are there still seats for this weekend on that deal and the new Finnair plane? Also need to go from GLA or EDI down to LHR.

We are both retired and able to travel anytime we can get a super deal for TPs.
My status is also GOLD but will need to get 1,060 TPS by May to retain my Gold status.

Any super great MR deals that we can do from Scotland or LHR that would get my husband his 615 in one go? We would be travelling together and would appreciate business class. I have never flown in First so if something fabulous was available could possibly be tempted.

Thanks for any help you can offer us.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: BAEC, MileagePlus
Originally Posted by wonderman
Worth mentioning that there is £50 off a £200 spend at amex travel for targeted UK amex holders.

Makes the London-TLL trips really efficient. Contemplating nesting 8 round trips together for gold, £400 off the price really sweetens the deal.
Unless you have 4 cards I believe it can be used just once, unfortunately, it's on the T&C:

Only one £50 statement credit per Card, for the first 24,000 Cardmembers to save.

I've never done a turnaround at LHR, but assuming I'm already checked in with a mobile boarding pass then can I just stay airside without needing to clear security. Same for all terminals? (ie I know if I'm switching between Finnair and BA it's not possible but finnair-finnair and BA-BA OK as long as it's arriving/departing from the same terminal?)
I will let the ones that have done that before to answer this one
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Did you mean a turnaround at LHR? You certainly can't do any type of connection at LHR without going through flight connections. Any INT-INT connection involves going through flight connections and security (a DOM-INT at T5 wouldn't involve a security scan).

T3 at least does not have conformance so you don't have the same issue as at T5. However, T3 involves some fairly considerable distances from gates to connections and back, and like LHR as a whole, it isn't suited for doing a back to back.

Also bear in mind arriving and departing on AY would be a b2b whereas arriving and departing on BA would not be. For BA the aircraft returning from HEL to LHR will not usually be the same one doing the next flight from LHR-HEL.

If you meant b2b at TLL yes that's fine from the reports of those who have been so far. Basically get off, wait at gate, get back on.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:21 am

Did you mean a turnaround at LHR? You certainly can't do any type of connection at LHR without going through flight connections. Any INT-INT connection involves going through flight connections and security (a DOM-INT at T5 wouldn't involve a security scan).

T3 at least does not have conformance so you don't have the same issue as at T5. However, T3 involves some fairly considerable distances from gates to connections and back, and like LHR as a whole, it isn't suited for doing a back to back.

Also bear in mind arriving and departing on AY would be a b2b whereas arriving and departing on BA would not be. For BA the aircraft returning from HEL to LHR will not usually be the same one doing the next flight from LHR-HEL.

If you meant b2b at TLL yes that's fine from the reports of those who have been so far. Basically get off, wait at gate, get back on.
Ideally I wanted my turnaround at LHR as I don't live in London and want to nest either 4 or 8 returns on consecutive days.

What do you mean by the bold bit, say I planned a turnaround on AY at LHR T3, is this feasible do you think?
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by xhemp
Unless you have 4 cards I believe it can be used just once, unfortunately, it's on the T&C:

Only one £50 statement credit per Card, for the first 24,000 Cardmembers to save.
Have up to 12 cards with offer loaded lined up

I was actually contemplating a 5000TP GGL run to TLL, 25 returns but don't think my sanity would hold out.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:26 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Have up to 12 cards with offer loaded lined up

I was actually contemplating a 5000TP GGL run to TLL, 25 returns but don't think my sanity would hold out.
Sounds like a good weekend destination every other weekend
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Ideally I wanted my turnaround at LHR as I don't live in London and want to nest either 4 or 8 returns on consecutive days.

What do you mean by the bold bit, say I planned a turnaround on AY at LHR T3, is this feasible do you think?
T5 has conformance of 35 minutes. Not relevant to a T3-T3 connection though, I just mentioned it in passing.

A back to back at T3 is not going to be possible tbh. I wouldn't attempt it and the likelihood of failure is pretty high.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:33 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
T5 has conformance of 35 minutes. Not relevant to a T3-T3 connection though, I just mentioned it in passing.

A back to back at T3 is not going to be possible tbh. I wouldn't attempt it and the likelihood of failure is pretty high.
I would say it's possible but you need to be able to run and not have luggage (even hand luggage, so you an sprint through security check). Gate 42 is the furthest from the piers at T3 and the A350 AY uses it occasionally and it would take you good 10 mins to get to flight connections from there, 3 mins through the scanners, 10 mins running back to gate. Very tight but doable, as most AY have turnaround time of 55-70 mins.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:40 am

I have 2x A350 HEL-LHR-HEL back-to-backs on the same weekend planned. All for a bit of fun. If I miss it, no biggie, but I think it is possible considering the 70min turnaround time - albeit with some fast moving in between

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.