Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2017, 8:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold. IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by BA6501
I submitted a couple of claims to CR on Monday - three cancellations due to the system issues, an e-mail to CR and two disruption claims. Haven't received an acknowledgement of any of them or a case reference. Anyone else? Should I resubmit?
I submitted on Sunday and acknowledgement email (initial email with case reference) was received 48 hours later so there are still delays within their system....
Old May 31, 2017, 1:04 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by greyt
I submitted on Sunday and acknowledgement email (initial email with case reference) was received 48 hours later so there are still delays within their system....
I submitted my claim on Saturday evening and haven't had any response yet. I'm guessing I'll need to submit it again.
Old May 31, 2017, 1:27 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Quarky Quark
How would bus gates work in that circumstance? If you're deplaning onto a bus but it's another 20 minutes before you reach the terminal, practically speaking it's no different to taxiing. And there would be no easy way to neutrally determine when the bus arrived, unless you video the whole thing.
Has this come up before does anyone know?
My current understanding is that the time stops when you get out of the aircraft, so if you have a tedious bus transfer - which, let's face it, is scarcely unusual - that would not count on the timescale. Now I wonder if that gets challenged in a senior court whether that would be further refined. After all I'm sure we can all recall instances where there have been buses, bridges and staff all ready as the aircraft gets to the stand. In those circumstances buses can be actually save time (e.g. compared to ending up on a T5 C gate). So it can be done reasonably well, but a bad bus transfer just piles on another 20 minutes to the flight.

Now in LHR and LGW this is a BA responsibility but that's unusual: mostly this operation is managed by the airport, and of course there are plenty of airports where many or even all flights involve a bus. Airport operations would probably be regarded as distinct from airlines' responsibilities for EC261.
Old May 31, 2017, 1:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Stormbel
We have been given case numbers for our EC261 claims (cancelled flights DUB-LHR Saturday 27th May. Purpose of 2 day trip was Saturday evening meeting so whole trip agreed to be refunded by b a).
What happens next?
Do we simply sit and wait?
Yes. It can take 6 to 8 weeks at the best of times. If it's a totally clear claim with no complexities (e.g. a there-and-back flight purely on BA, booked via BA.com, revenue or Avios, no 2-4-1s etc) then you could try calling UK Customer Relations in a few days, after all the baggage calls have tapered off: it's just possible the agent will be able to look at the claim and pay it off there and then. However we need to also have some confirmation that BA won't regard this as Extraordinary Circumstances, in other words BA corporately agree to pay the Article 7 compensation. So, keep an eye on this thread - and if anyone does get this confirmation, it would be good to drop a line here.
Old May 31, 2017, 2:21 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
My current understanding is that the time stops when you get out of the aircraft, so if you have a tedious bus transfer - which, let's face it, is scarcely unusual - that would not count on the timescale. Now I wonder if that gets challenged in a senior court whether that would be further refined. After all I'm sure we can all recall instances where there have been buses, bridges and staff all ready as the aircraft gets to the stand. In those circumstances buses can be actually save time (e.g. compared to ending up on a T5 C gate). So it can be done reasonably well, but a bad bus transfer just piles on another 20 minutes to the flight.

Now in LHR and LGW this is a BA responsibility but that's unusual: mostly this operation is managed by the airport, and of course there are plenty of airports where many or even all flights involve a bus. Airport operations would probably be regarded as distinct from airlines' responsibilities for EC261.
There is precedent here. My son had similar issue, landed slightly late, but then was further delayed by late buses. He missed conformance and was rebooked to next morning. Claimed EU261 and BA paid up at first time of asking.
This was April/May time 2014, if you search my previous posts around then, you will get more details.
Old May 31, 2017, 2:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zanderblue
There is precedent here. My son had similar issue, landed slightly late, but then was further delayed by late buses. He missed conformance and was rebooked to next morning. Claimed EU261 and BA paid up at first time of asking.
This was April/May time 2014, if you search my previous posts around then, you will get more details.
Ah, now that's different: for your son, this is in the context of an overall journey where there was little the traveller could do to avoid the delay, thanks to the buses. The clock for your son stopped when he reached his final ticketed destination (again leaving the aircraft door), the buses were just along the way. In my reading of Quarky's question, it was whether the clock stopped at the aircraft door or not when at the final destination, and so I'm fairly certain it's when passenger 1 is in a position to leave the aircraft.
Old May 31, 2017, 4:04 am

Programs: BA
I was stuck in the US on Friday as my flight was cancelled a few hours before departure. I wasnt able to access the BA website or get through to customer service. By Sunday I was exhausted with waiting around and booked a flight home via another One World carrier.

I assume I should ask for the €600 from the eu261, a refund for the original return, hotel and food expenses.

Should I also ask BA to cover the cost of the additional one way ticket I had to purchase, it was £1500 for me to get home?
Old May 31, 2017, 4:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dward85
I assume I should ask for the €600 from the eu261, a refund for the original return, hotel and food expenses.

Should I also ask BA to cover the cost of the additional one way ticket I had to purchase, it was £1500 for me to get home?
The first paragraph seems correct to me.

The second paragraph: you may want to review some of more recent posts upthread which are similar. In essence you have a decision to make, and it's less certain than the approach in the first paragraph: you could, instead of a refund, ask BA to cover the cost of the additional ticket on the basis that they were unable to rebook you at the time. The other posts will give you the pros and cons, but this is a decision only you can make. You would still be able to claim the right to care and Article 7 compensation on top.
Old May 31, 2017, 5:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
EC261 doesn't clearly state you would be covered in this scenario, no. The onus is on BA to rebook you, and the Regulation does not explicitly protect you if you do your own thing. Insurance may do so. You will get a refund on the unused sector, plus (probably) EC261 at 600€ per passenger, but any extra is for your account or insurance.

Now having said that, you have a strong argument that BA failed to rebook you (it is unarguable that it was impossible to do this) therefore you had no alternative but to sort out the best alternative. So instead of the refund you could try to pursue BA for the additional cost of flying Virgin, but you may need to be persistent on that, and I cannot say for certain you will win that argument/case. If this works, the 600€ is still payable (usual caveats mentioned upthread apply) on top. If you would be financially better off to go this route (i.e. the Virgin cost was appreciably higher than your booked fare) then you can give it a go and fall back on the refund costs scenario.
thank you very much. Unfortunately no amount of money will make up for the stress.
Old May 31, 2017, 5:19 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by greyt
As a further data-point, this was exactly my experience - 48 hours.

My cancellation confirmation email has yet to come through, I'd imagine whatever department handles that needs actual people to refund money (which is possibly the trigger for the email), and they collectively have a very large inbox at the moment whereas the Customer Relations process to assign a case number is more automated.
Old May 31, 2017, 5:48 am

Programs: BA
The first paragraph seems correct to me.

The second paragraph: you may want to review some of more recent posts upthread which are similar. In essence you have a decision to make, and it's less certain than the approach in the first paragraph: you could, instead of a refund, ask BA to cover the cost of the additional ticket on the basis that they were unable to rebook you at the time. The other posts will give you the pros and cons, but this is a decision only you can make. You would still be able to claim the right to care and Article 7 compensation on top.
Thanks for that. I will add it to the claim form on the BA website and see what happens. I will update here on what they said. I assume they will go through the expenses i put on the form and either approve/reject them so might as well add everything.
Old May 31, 2017, 6:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold
I submitted my claim for expenses and EU261 yesterday evening. Case references were received within 30 minutes.

I just had an email confirming payment of expenses by bank transfer. Quite impressed to have this is less than 24 hours given the scale of the disruption. Just waiting on the EU compensation now.
Old May 31, 2017, 7:00 am

It appears on Twitter that a Peer has been told by BA that they will not be paying him Section 7 comp. You can look through the thread to see more...

Old May 31, 2017, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by markle
It appears on Twitter that a Peer has been told by BA that they will not be paying him Section 7 comp. You can look through the thread to see more...

https://twitter.com/brianpaddick/sta...75844277260288
No, if you look at replies from the SM Team, I think Lord Paddick has been told like a number of FTers that they haven't yet reached a conclusion on Article 7 Compensation yet.
Old May 31, 2017, 7:21 am

No, if you look at replies from the SM Team, I think Lord Paddick has been told like a number of FTers that they haven't yet reached a conclusion on Article 7 Compensation yet.
He reported downthread that he was told by phone comp wouldn't be paid, with the Twitter CS backpedalling a bit thereafter...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.