Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Highlife Connect (Inflight Wi-Fi)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2017 | 9:20 pm
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
Well that may be true but it was painfully slow on my TATL today. And at 15 per 150mb it is really only good for basic emails and instant messaging. It took a few minutes to upload a small photo over whatsapp.
Agreed, its awful and expensive. The best Wifi I have ever had for speed was Jetblue's and American's T mobile service on LAX-LHR.
Old Sep 15, 2017 | 1:31 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways
10 Years on Site

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
VOIP, Skype, and WhatsApp calls are currently unavailable on QR - but, as CWS has said, that is mostly down to the connection speed.

With QR, amongst other airlines, installing a new WiFi system onboard, speed will ramp up, but my understanding is that calls will still be banned.

What is not banned at present, is sending Voice-Notes through WhatsApp (for example).

This allows a 2 sided conversation, in a similar style to using a walkie-talkie.

It can be very irritating I agree, and I actively look forward to flying BA because I'm unreachable (and I assure you, this is not a backhanded compliment, but a genuine one).

M
Old Sep 15, 2017 | 3:01 am
10 Years on Site

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
VOIP, Skype, and WhatsApp calls are currently unavailable on QR - but, as CWS has said, that is mostly down to the connection speed.

With QR, amongst other airlines, installing a new WiFi system onboard, speed will ramp up, but my understanding is that calls will still be banned.

What is not banned at present, is sending Voice-Notes through WhatsApp (for example).

This allows a 2 sided conversation, in a similar style to using a walkie-talkie.

It can be very irritating I agree, and I actively look forward to flying BA because I'm unreachable (and I assure you, this is not a backhanded compliment, but a genuine one).

M
Not sure about that. Last time I was on QR, I managed to have a Video Call with a friend (albeit with iterruptions). Can't remember if it was facetime, skype or whatsapp!
Old Sep 15, 2017 | 3:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I think it is necessary in today's times. We are all getting used to being connected 24/7. I can get WiFi in a taxi... on a bus (many busses in Plymouth are Wifi connected)... in pub, restaurant etc... it seems so last year to not be able to stay conencted on a plane.

Of course, I realise that the challenges and massive when compared to adding Wifi to anything terrestrial but somehow we expect it none the less.

I would pay 15 for a TATL flight but only if it was usable for nowmal web activity... I wouldn't expect VOIP capability but I am sure it will come.
Old Sep 15, 2017 | 3:41 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways
10 Years on Site

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by BA6948
Not sure about that. Last time I was on QR, I managed to have a Video Call with a friend (albeit with iterruptions). Can't remember if it was facetime, skype or whatsapp!
Ah, interesting.

I don't have FaceTime, but WhatsApp calls and Skype, definitely haven't worked for me over the past couple of years.

M
Old Sep 15, 2017 | 3:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair
10 Years on Site

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by BA6948
It was indeed on QR where I experienced a loud conversation between the "gentleman" on the other side of the aircraft and his colleague on the ground. He got frustrated after about 4/5 minutes of having to repeat himself.

The other time I experienced this was on the A321T (JFK-LAX) but after 3 or 4 minutes the crew told him to shut up.
Old Sep 15, 2017 | 7:43 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by When I Travel The World
Agreed, its awful and expensive. The best Wifi I have ever had for speed was Jetblue's and American's T mobile service on LAX-LHR.
US domestic uses a different technology though which I believe is not available for TATL.
Old Sep 23, 2017 | 8:33 pm

Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier
I'm set to start my flight from HKG to LHR on an a380 and return on a 777.

I'm guessing wifi won't be set up yet on these routes?
Old Sep 24, 2017 | 3:36 am
10 Years on Site

As I mentioned in a previous post, the rollout of wifi is months and months behind schedule. I do not think you will see rollout of wifi on long haul until Q3/Q4 2018 maybe even later.
Old Sep 24, 2017 | 6:57 am

Any day now
Old Sep 24, 2017 | 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Countries Visited40 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: BA Gold
Crazy that $billions worth of new aircraft have arrived in last 36 months without cameras for IFE and not ready for WiFi. It seems BA untick all the optional extras
Old Sep 24, 2017 | 7:40 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Crazy that $billions worth of new aircraft have arrived in last 36 months without cameras for IFE and not ready for WiFi. It seems BA untick all the optional extras
Just like my local car dealer who orders loads of stock without the basics and wonders why they don't move any. I may really hate BA's business modal but I hate my local car dealer even more.
Old Oct 7, 2017 | 5:37 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
The lack of wifi on the 787's is down to the system BA are using for long haul not having regulatory clearance for that particular type yet. Gogo are hoping it'll be available as a linefit option by the end of this year.
The system was only cleared for after-market installation on 777's in September this year and still hasn't been cleared for the 767 or A380. These things take far too long!
It looks likely that, from now on, any new BA long haul plane will include wifi straight from the factory as their next one isn't being delivered until March.
I haven't a clue when wifi on short haul is likely to be fitted - BA are using a different supplier for that and they only launched the satellite in June but there are legal challenges from other wifi providers going on so that could take a while to sort out.
Old Oct 7, 2017 | 5:46 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
30 Countries Visited40 Countries Visited50 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I will just link in here the thread with the latest wifi soft launch information, including a list of those aircraft we collectively think/know have wifi enabled:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-underway.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.