Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR-EWR worth upgrading to WTP for £126?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2016, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That's probably something called Dual Inventory Fares, or would you believe, DIF for short. I'll do a thread about it when I've done some more research, but if you look there are some very interesting fares around, more usually if connecting rather than direct. The uplift from WT to WTP can be 150€, though the best prices are the 200€ supplements.
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
I've noticed from some dummy bookings on ba.com that they are pricing WTP very competitively on some routes these days, at about the same premium the OP is saying. In some days it was double the price as in HELL NO, might as well pay for Club if you are splashing the cash = )

A friend on the JFK-LHR route also told me he upgraded to WTP for around 150 USD. I guess they lowered the price as the demand is low and they want to fill every seat?
These are two different things; the DIF fares are capacity-limited by requiring inventory in both a cheap economy booking class (for example N) and the cheapest WT+ class (T), and if this is true then you are offered a very cheap looking WT+ fare (which does behave like a WT+ fare in almost all respects). There's no "this is an upgrade" presentation, since essentially it's not an upgrade, it's a WT+ ticket with complicated sales criteria.

You can see these on ExpertFlyer, and they also often show up on ITA Matrix as a cheap Premium Economy fare, but have to be booked via BA directly. If you can find one for your desired journey, they're a very good deal - particularly for avoiding WT on a 787. For example LHR-MCT for £526 in WT+ is well worth it to avoid 787 WT.

Upgrades, either paid online after booking (POUG) or at the airport (AUP), have separate inventory controls and pricing levels. The numbers can end up being similar. These are presented as "this is an upgrade to your existing ticket".
Old Dec 3, 2016, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by frb98mf
It's making the £85 POUG I was just offered LHR-CDG look like a very bad deal...
Originally Posted by orbitmic
It is a very bad deal...
... unless someone else paid for the economy ticket and you'd really like the tier points
Old Dec 4, 2016, 7:18 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR, LTG
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Is that a POUG or a fare difference quote?
It is a poug. Appears on app 'Upgrade this flight to Business from £240 per adult'.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.